• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Sell Epcot to Me (Please!)

nutshell

Oh, Disney!
Me, DW, DD (18), and DS (14) will spend three days in the parks late July. No hoppers. We are DLR vets and go commando style. We love rides the most, but also take time to catch a parade and fireworks. We also love Fantasmic at DL.

We've never been to WDW.

We plan on soon MK, Epcot, and AK. We're excited about MK and AK, but only lukewarm towards Epcot. I'm afraid my son won't like it because of the lack of rides. Illuminations sounds awesome, but what else is there? We have a whole day. What will my family of four enjoy at Epcot? Thanks!

With kids that age I’d be super excited for Epcot.
I have littles right now (6 & 1) - we did Epcot one day on our last trip and will do one day again for our trip
in feb. I personally think it’s lovely there - you can explore in the World Showcase, lots of food and drink options. I also can’t imagine going to Disney and not doing Soarin which is in Epcot!
When my kids are older I can’t wait to make Epcot a 2 day park :)

Epcot is very light on rides. Soarin’ is excellent though. HS has more thriller rides and all the Star Wars stuff so I’d probably hit that instead.

Do they like to try different foods?

When I was that age, we always did rides in the morning, then grazed around the world stopping at lots of the counters to share different foods from the countries and explore. I don’t know if you would do all of these but with Spaceship Earth, Test Track, Mission Space, Soarin, Nemo, Imagination, The Land, Frozen Ever After and the 3 Caballeros ride in Mexico, there is a lot to keep busy before exploring World Showcase.

Since you go to DL, Soarin’ won’t be new to you. But I think that Epcot offers such a different theme park experience with World Showcase and sets WDW apart.

Epcot is very light on rides. Soarin’ is excellent though. HS has more thriller rides and all the Star Wars stuff so I’d probably hit that instead.

DHS is much lighter on rides. TSM, RnRC, ToT, Star Tours. Then all shows.

Epcot has 9 rides. People may not like the rides (I enjoy all of them) but there are more rides at Epcot than at DHS.

But, as you said, DHS does have more thrill rides than Epcot.

ETA: OP - the other thing I wanted to add is that since you have TSM and ST in Disneyland and (had) original ToT, I think Epcot would offer more new rides for you than DHS. The only Epcot duplicate with Disneyland is Soarin.

Last edited:
All 3 of my kids love Epcot (15,13,9)! My two oldest (girls) love mission space and test track. They also love the store in Japan and exploring world showcase by themselves. My youngest one says Epcot is his second favorite park. His favorite ride of all time is spaceship earth ( I know weird). We love Epcot. There are not a ton of rides but we love the ones they have plus we like walking around and exploring world showcase. I hope you have a great time!

I'm sorry but Epcot is a bust with my family. It's great if you want to eat or shop but for us it's a 1/2 day park. In my opinion if you have been to DL you have done Soarin and cars land puts test track to shame. I would do HS. Rock and roller coaster and tower of terror are worth it plus you have the shows!!!

All 3 of my kids love Epcot (15,13,9)! My two oldest (girls) love mission space and test track. They also love the store in Japan and exploring world showcase by themselves. My youngest one says Epcot is his second favorite park. His favorite ride of all time is spaceship earth ( I know weird). We love Epcot. There are not a ton of rides but we love the ones they have plus we like walking around and exploring world showcase. I hope you have a great time!
Thanks. Do your girls do Orange or Green in Mission Space?

Ride the rides in the morning and explore the land and the seas. Spend the afternoon/evening exploring the countries and shopping. Strike up some conversations with World Showcase CMs and learn about their countries, etc. I also hear the behind the seeds tour is pretty good. I wouldn’t skip Epcot. It may be light on rides but it has lots of unique shopping and we absolutely love talking to all the CMs there.

Some have suggested skipping Epcot and going to HS instead. Thoughts?
Are you going befor or after Toy Story Land opens? There is really not much going on there. Yes, ToT and RnRC are there but that’s about it in the way of big rides. Have you considered park hoppers? You could do both in one day.

****NOTE AFTER MY POST: I didn't mean for this message to be so long. Just got excited to talk about Epcot****

You can definitely spend a whole fun day at Epcot. I would say the best attractions for teenagers are Mission: Space (an intense simulator that takes you on a mission to Mars), Test Track (the same ride system as Radiator Racers but with a theme about testing a car that you get to design yourself), and Soarin' (which you have probably experienced already in California).

Spaceship Earth is a relatively long dark ride about communication throughout human history. It's an original attraction and cool to see. It's the one inside the "Epcot ball" (as I always called it). Definitely not a thrill ride since it's super slow, but it's one I never miss.

The Living Seas is really cool. It's a huge aquarium with dolphins, sharks, stingrays, manatees, and loads of other fish. It's a nice place to get inside and beat the heat for a while since you'll be visiting in late July. If your kids aren't into Finding Nemo, you can bypass the Nemo ride by going in through the gift shop, but if there's not a long wait I'd go on the ride to get into the aquarium. It's short and really cute.

Living with the Land is a boat ride through a green house where you learn about agriculture. It's nice if you need to get off your feet for a while, but unless your kids are into agriculture and farming, I wouldn't wait longer than 10-15 minutes for it. That being said, I do tend to go on it a lot, so there's clearly something I like about it. (By the way, Soarin' is in the same pavilion as this ride.)

Journey into Imagination is something I would say you can skip unless you're looking for a way to kill time. It's geared more towards younger children.

I have grown to LOVE World Showcase as an adult, but it's hard to say what your teenagers would like without knowing them personally. There is a boat ride inside the Mexico pavilion, which is cute. Again, nice way to relax and get off your feet for a while but not worth a long wait in my opinion. The pavilion itself is very cool. Once you go inside, it is like you're in an outdoor Mexican marketplace. Definitely worth a visit.

Norway has the Frozen ride, which I think is very cool but also may not be worth the wait for your teenagers unless they're big fans of Frozen. If you can get a Fastpass for it, go for it. Or arrive at opening and walk straight there. When I did this, the wait was only about 30 minutes since they didn't start taking Fastpasses until a little later (10 or 11am, I think it was.) I'm not sure if this is still what they do, but that was the only way I could get into it without a huge wait.

China has a 360 degree theater with a movie showing the China landscape. Canada also has a similar 360 degree film. It stars Martin Short and has a bit of a comedic twist on it. I would choose the Canada movie over the China movie because of the comedy, but they're both nice. Just know there are no seats for these, just rails to lean on.

Germany has a large buffet restaurant with entertainment and of course shops, drinks, and food like all the other countries. There is an extensive miniature train set there that is really cool to see (no line or anything, just as you're walking by.)

Italy doesn't have a big attraction either but has some shops and some food options. There is a pretty photo op that looks like Venetian canals, but I usually walk right past Italy for the most part.

There is a cool audio-animatronics show in the America pavilion. It's called The American Adventure. It takes you through US history and is a great little show. I really enjoy it. *********Before the show (or even if you don't decide to see the show), I would definitely recommend going into the lobby to hear Voices of Liberty. They are an incredibly talented a cappella vocal group. In my opinion, their vocal talent is almost worth the price of a ticket to Epcot. They do a set of about 15 minutes before each American Adventure show. I always try to make sure to see them.*********** Also, check the theatre across from the America pavilion on the World Showcase lagoon. There are often celebrity singers and bands playing free concerts there.

Japan has a couple nice restaurants and a huge store with Japanese goods. There is also an artist that makes animal shapes out of candy. While that may be cooler for younger kids, I like to stop by and see her make the animals. It's a cool art to see.

Morocco has some nice food and really cool architecture. I've been to Marrakesh, and it actually feels like walking through the streets there.

France has a beautiful 180 degree movie (with chairs) that shows off the country and has some fantastic music by French composers. I never miss this film. It's from the late 70s/early 80s though, so be ready to see some "old time" clothes.

The UK pavilion is also mainly shops and restaurants. There is a small stage in the back where a band plays as well.

Illuminations is a cool evening show, so i'm sure you'll enjoy that. Just make sure you can see the globe (which will not start there but will end up in the center of the lake), and make sure to wait until the end of the show. A lot of people start to leave before it's over because the end of one of the sections seems like a finale.

Sorry for the long message, but Epcot has actually become my favorite Disney park. World Showcase might be tougher for teenaged kids than a park with ride after ride but then again, maybe not. It just depends on their interests. If they're interested in learning about different countries and cultures and trying different foods, then they'll love it. However, even if they're not, I think they'll still enjoy certain parts of it. Future World is where most of the attractions are, and I'm sure they'll enjoy some of the things there, particularly Mission: Space and Test Track if they're into thrill rides. One final thing to make you excited, Epcot feels much more open than the other parks, so even if it's crowded (which I'm guessing it will be at the end of July), you will feel physically less crowded than if you were in the other parks. This is one thing I absolutely love about Epcot. Hope you guys have an awesome trip!!

Me, DW, DD (18), and DS (14) will spend three days in the parks late July. No hoppers. We are DLR vets and go commando style. We love rides the most, but also take time to catch a parade and fireworks. We also love Fantasmic at DL.

We've never been to WDW.

We plan on soon MK, Epcot, and AK. We're excited about MK and AK, but only lukewarm towards Epcot. I'm afraid my son won't like it because of the lack of rides. Illuminations sounds awesome, but what else is there? We have a whole day. What will my family of four enjoy at Epcot? Thanks!

To be honest I think you should do Park Hoppers! Some parks may be open to midnight or even latter on some nights.

EPCOT while it is fabulous to me (and my favorite park) may be a little boring for a 14 yr old for a whole day. HK studios currently is a half day park but it has RNR, Tower of Terror, and some Star Wars shows, the Star Wars fireworks show at night is a must.

Make sure you do fast passes in AK for the Flight of Passage (great ride) and walk around Pandora at night.

I don’t know if you would do all of these but with Spaceship Earth, Test Track, Mission Space, Soarin, Nemo, Imagination, The Land, Frozen Ever After and the 3 Caballeros ride in Mexico, there is a lot to keep busy before exploring World Showcase.

Yes, this exactly. And a whole bunch of really good Epcot restaurants too, like other people above said. Epcot has a lot to offer, just give it a chance.

I have always loved Epcot even as a kid. graham gave a great explanation. In FW there is also Club Cool where you can sample Coca Cola from other countries.

Thanks. Do your girls do Orange or Green in Mission Space?

We did both! They are different missions now, so doing both doesn't seem like you're doing the same ride at all.

While I agree Radiator Springs Racers is a better themed ride, Test Trak is a blast! Your kids will love competing with each other over who's car design "wins" and the last 10 seconds of super speed is so much fun.

Even if your kids aren't Phineas and Ferb fans, I would recommend the Agent P's World Showcase Adventure. It takes you on a scavenger hunt through the countries (you can choose which ones you want to do, Japan was my boys' favorites), and it also activates surprises. You play it through your smartphone. There is also a Remy scavenger hunt that costs some money, but you get a trading pin with it.

The various street performers in each country are fun to watch too.

My boys are 14 and 18 and they both loved EP when we went last month.

There is also a Remy scavenger hunt that costs some money, but you get a trading pin with it.

This is only available during Food & Wine. You don't get a trading pin, you get a foam key chain. Fun to find all the Remys, but the prize is junk.

We just got back from spending two weeks at WDW with our grandchildren, 8 & 4 years old. We let them choose which park to go to every day. Surprisingly, they picked Epcot most often. We went there 3 days in a row before talking them into something different the following day. Even as adults and teenagers, I cannot imagine skipping Epcot. I feel like it's a must do.

Because we were there with younger kids, we always did World Showcase in the morning and Future World in the afternoon and evenings. Too crowded and too many drinkers in World Showcase in the evenings for me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter