Sell Me On Where You Live

My advice would be to stay out of Illinois. The State is in a horrible financial mess.

I'd say the same about Michigan. Our school system was excellent when we moved here, but with the governor cutting funding again and again and again even the best districts are suffering. The people are friendly, the area is beautiful, we get 4 seasons with little risk of extreme weather or natural disasters, and the cost of living is low... but there are few jobs and you can't count on the schools clinging to any scrap of quality when their budgets keep shrinking.

I love living in Central Florida. No snow or ice! Hot in the summer, but no worse than many other areas. Beaches are withing an hour drive on both coasts. Theme parks, theme parks, theme parks! There are so many things to do here.

Crime is no worse here than most big cities. There are areas to avoid, but the majority of the city is as safe as any other large city.

Schools are not as bad as some would have you believe. Again, you have to do your research. Some areas are better than others.

I love Florida!

True story: months ago I saw a big bird on the side of the road, and told DS14 that what I loved about Alaska was how big our ravens are. Then the bird turned around and it was a bald eagle. I see eagles and moose several times a week, and have even heard (but not seen) a grizzly bear nearby. (Of course, there is a downside--I hit a moose on Sunday. Both the moose and I were okay, but I have some minor car repairs to take care of).

We have salmon galore--none of this fish for hours and maybe get a bite bs. People just dip their nets in and get their limit (often over 30 fish) quickly. Lots of halibut, too. And moose and caribou if you're a hunter.

The sky here is amazing--so much more dramatic than most places. And the scenery is car crash stunning (seriously, I have to remind myself to keep my eye on the road).

We visited your lovely state. DH would move there in an instant. It is too cold for me. We definitely want to visit again.

Other than the huge debt issue, California is a lovely state. In SoCal, you can surf and ski in the same day. Our weather is awesome. We are four hours from Las Vegas. We have museums, concerts, and the Hollywood Bowl. We have so many airports, it is so easy to go on vacation at a price you want to pay.

Our earthquakes are quick and sudden and then done. Thirty seconds tops. No sirens, no worrying ahead of time, no need for storm cellars or boarding up windows.

Our schools are really great. There are people who buy condos in Santa Monica JUST so that they can send their kids to the public schools there.

Oh, and if you move here, keep to the code and make someone else move out first.

I really like living in Frederick. There are so many cool, fun, and historical places near by.

40 minutes from Gettysburg
45 minutes from DC
45 minutes from Baltimore
30 minutes from Harpers Ferry

Ocean city isn't but 3.5 hours, VABeach is only 4 hours. In about 5 hours you can get to NYC, then add on another hour to get through the tunnel. lol

The downtown here is very quaint. Great restaurants, cute little shops, historical homes. It's like a little city in the country.

I love that every weekend I can be somewhere bigger (like DC or Baltimore) but not have to actually live there. We frequently go to DC or Baltimore on the weekends. This weekend we are going to Gettysburg.

Love the city but not the state. Is that important? We're in Columbus, Ohio and surrounded by opportunity but if you wander more than 45 minutes, employment drops and so does the educational mindset. The burbs here are great-schools, housing, parks can not be beat, the best zoo in the country, the largest University in the country plus at least a 3 Division 3 colleges, jobs, urban blight but not tons of violent crime, Columbus has a good mayor but poor public schools. Kids from the public school system seem to be doing well IF they want to. head to central Ohio and check us out. You'll know you're here when you see the spring lambs and cows sharing the fields. Oh and we have two major rivers, the Olentangy and the Scioto that have a confluence downtown. Great ecosystems, good ballet, lots of little acting companies, several wonderfully restored theaters, some excellent chefs, good public transportation.

You’re currently in TN so some things maybe not that much different but here you go…
Positives to living in Cobb County GA (Atlanta burbs):
Except for July & August when it’s incredibly hot & humid we have pretty good weather. We get snow once or twice a year, which is just enough to be fun. We most of the year on our screen porches sipping iced tea.
You can get a lot of house and a big yard for your money and most neighborhoods have community amenities (pool, tennis & playground).
We are situated about 30-45 min from everything Atlanta has to offer: international airport, sports arenas, concert venues, restaurants, museums, zoo, aquarium etc.…
About 1.5 hour from the mountains (my parents have a cabin which we frequent)
About 5-6 hour drive from the gulf beaches
About 7-8 hours from WDW
Our county (an exception for the state of GA) happens to have good schools. Some schools in the county are fantastic; some are “ok”… overall good.
We have a great parks system and a couple of national park recreation areas. Great for running, hiking or just enjoying the out doors.
Our historic district “Marietta Square” has restaurants, shops & museums and a great calendar of events including concerts, shopping events & holiday events.

Negatives:
It does get super hot and humid
If you commute into Atlanta traffic is horrendous.
You have to do research on school districts before choosing a home.
Bugs. There are lots of bugs.

Overall I love it here. I sometimes daydream about living somewhere else but in reality I'd rather visit other places and always keep Georgia as my home!

I live in Cozumel Mexico and love it! I have been here for over a decade, we have lttle or no crime, great weather - as long as you like it hot. My 5 yo is billingual and goes to the best private school on the Island (I mean like the Senator's kids go to the same school) - for 350USD per month.

We have a great hospital, a sister hospital to Jackson Memorial in Miami (I am pretty sure thats the one)- might be TMI, but when was pregnant, with placenta previa, I gave birth C section to my son at a private clinic, I was the only delivery, and we had my obgyn, a surgeon, an anethesiologist (sp), our pediatrician, 2 nurses at the delivery - for 3,500USD. We dont spend 10usd on an aspirin here.

I live in a 2,000sq ft home in one of the best neighborhoods, and my annual property tax is 170USD per year, trash collection, anually (3x per week) 45USD. Water bill, 11USD per month, electric about 85USD per month, Have a house keeper one day a week, for 18USD, gadner 20USD per visit.

3 blocks away, theres a monkey, 7 blocks dolphins.

Great community, ex pat and Mexican, culture, and food!

We are a 30 min ferry ride to Playa Del Carmen, a 15 min flight to Cancun, and from Cancun, I can be in Ft. Lauderdale in an hour and ORLANDO in an hour and a half.

Have a neighbor that works on line and loves it!

PM me for more info....

I live in Cozumel Mexico and love it! I have been here for over a decade, we have lttle or no crime, great weather - as long as you like it hot. My 5 yo is billingual and goes to the best private school on the Island (I mean like the Senator's kids go to the same school) - for 350USD per month.

We have a great hospital, a sister hospital to Jackson Memorial in Miami (I am pretty sure thats the one)- might be TMI, but when was pregnant, with placenta previa, I gave birth C section to my son at a private clinic, I was the only delivery, and we had my obgyn, a surgeon, an anethesiologist (sp), our pediatrician, 2 nurses at the delivery - for 3,500USD. We dont spend 10usd on an aspirin here.

I live in a 2,000sq ft home in one of the best neighborhoods, and my annual property tax is 170USD per year, trash collection, anually (3x per week) 45USD. Water bill, 11USD per month, electric about 85USD per month, Have a house keeper one day a week, for 18USD, gadner 20USD per visit.

We are a 30 min ferry ride to Playa Del Carmen, a 15 min flight to Cancun, and from Cancun, I can be in Ft. Lauderdale in an hour and ORLANDO in an hour and a half.

PM me for more info....

I'm sold! :thumbsup2

PM me for more info....

You had me at the monkey.

I personally love NE ohio, as long as you can take the crazy weather. Perry, Ohio is a great city with EXCELLENT schools.

North Shore of Long Island, NY

- I live 1/4 of a mile from the water, 20 minutes to the ocean.

- schools are some of the top in th country. The HS I went to has a top program for art & music.

- train ride away from NYC. That city has everything you could ever want and more!

- although we are close to the city, my town is very small. Everyone knows everyone, we have little to no crime. Seriously, look at this excerpt from our police blotter this week.
" A woman reported the loss of 12, self made, zodiac paintings on April 24. She to,d police she put the paintings under her couch 2 months ago and now they are gone."

- restaurants are wonderful! All the fresh seafood and amazing Italian food you could want. Not to mention sushi, Thai, Chinese, steakhouses, and every cuisine under the sun.

- Close to all major highways.

- wonderful fishing. Many people have boats and we spend all summer on the boat.

- 4 seasons! They are all gorgeous. Some years the winters are worse than others, but this year it only snowed once. Last year I thought we'd have snow till June!!

- a short drive and you can be out at the wineries, spending all day having a great time!

- you can go berry picking in the summer, pumpkin picking in the fall, and go cut your own Christmas tree in the winter.

Cons:
- high cost of living. Houses are expensive, as are taxes. However it's gorgeous here and I never want to leave. I'm posting from iPad but I'll post pictures later when I can.

- traffic is bad during rush hour.

254734922643366345_IhOdjHEs_f.jpg

261560690828440577_HrYGmZW6_f.jpg

Sell you, huh? Hmmmm...

Rated 15th best town in US to live in. (Horsham, PA) :love:

Got ya beat in Butler, PA, an hour north of Pittsburgh. I read the newspaper headline that stated Butler is the 7th best small city in the US.

Really? The 7th? Horrid chain restaurants and big box stores. I live in the center of 4 small cities/towns/whatever you want to call them and Butler is by far the worst. Butler's SuperWalmart is the largest of the 4, yet doesn't have half the selection of stuff you can buy even in the SuperWalmart out in the middle of nowhere (also prices are more expensive than the other 2 SuperWalmarts and normal Walmart.) Their chain restaurants are the worst of all the others around western PA.

Butler is either extremely snobby and entitled rich people, or people who seem to have come up from the slums of the earth.

Enjoy $12 non-union jobs? Good, because they are everywhere in Butler. How about union jobs? Sure, there is 1 employer in Butler where you can make a fabulous living of $18/hour. You can do a bit better than that though if you head half an hour north though.

The 7th best small city of the US (yes, the entire United States) is also known around here as the Heroin capital of Pennsylvania. Fantastic!

Downtown Butler looks like a slum. That's because that is where all the slum people can afford to live. The surrounding communities where all the snobs live are pretty nice with their $400k homes. Too bad you have to commute 2 hours (it's only 39 miles for crying out loud) south to Pittsburgh if you want a job where you can afford one of those $400k homes.

I can't imagine how rotten the 8th best small city in the US could be... I don't live in Butler. I grew up in Butler and moved out into the beautiful country of western PA when we got married. You couldn't pay me to live in the 7th best city in the US. We avoid it as much as possible, except for work where both my wife and I work. I can't even fill up the car in Butler after work right down the road. I drive 25 minutes home, then another 5 miles past home to pay $0.30-0.40 cheaper gas.

Butler Area School district? Wonderful school district.... if your children are looking for drugs (just marijuana though at that age level.) I went to Butler. I graduated from Butler. Over 900 kids in my graduating class, I'd say 40% did not smoke pot. Not that I think anything is wrong with smoking pot, there really isn't, but that's a different thread that's already been argued to death I believe here (or another forum.)

So, yeah, don't bother coming to the 7th best small city in the US. It isn't all it's "cracked" up to be. That's because it's the Heroin capital of Pennsylvania, not the Crack capital of Pennsylvania. Though, I imagine there is plenty of that to be had as well.

I would try to sell you on Portland,Oregon, but the schools are horrible. If you don't mind looking into private schools then I'll try. With private schools, it becomes the best place in the world to live.

Fwiw, it's been voted the top city to live in many, many, many times.

PM me for more info....

I can do that! Kids - get out! :rotfl2::rotfl::lmao:

I won't try and sell you on where I live, born and raised. It is WAY too expensive. Schools are great though. Winters usually aren't. Taxes are nuts. I do love where I live but it just isn't reasonable.

Got ya beat in Butler, PA, an hour north of Pittsburgh. I read the newspaper headline that stated Butler is the 7th best small city in the US.

Really? The 7th? Horrid chain restaurants and big box stores. I live in the center of 4 small cities/towns/whatever you want to call them and Butler is by far the worst. Butler's SuperWalmart is the largest of the 4, yet doesn't have half the selection of stuff you can buy even in the SuperWalmart out in the middle of nowhere (also prices are more expensive than the other 2 SuperWalmarts and normal Walmart.) Their chain restaurants are the worst of all the others around western PA.

Butler is either extremely snobby and entitled rich people, or people who seem to have come up from the slums of the earth.

Enjoy $12 non-union jobs? Good, because they are everywhere in Butler. How about union jobs? Sure, there is 1 employer in Butler where you can make a fabulous living of $18/hour. You can do a bit better than that though if you head half an hour north though.

The 7th best small city of the US (yes, the entire United States) is also known around here as the Heroin capital of Pennsylvania. Fantastic!

Downtown Butler looks like a slum. That's because that is where all the slum people can afford to live. The surrounding communities where all the snobs live are pretty nice with their $400k homes. Too bad you have to commute 2 hours (it's only 39 miles for crying out loud) south to Pittsburgh if you want a job where you can afford one of those $400k homes.

I can't imagine how rotten the 8th best small city in the US could be... I don't live in Butler. I grew up in Butler and moved out into the beautiful country of western PA when we got married. You couldn't pay me to live in the 7th best city in the US. We avoid it as much as possible, except for work where both my wife and I work. I can't even fill up the car in Butler after work right down the road. I drive 25 minutes home, then another 5 miles past home to pay $0.30-0.40 cheaper gas.

Butler Area School district? Wonderful school district.... if your children are looking for drugs (just marijuana though at that age level.) I went to Butler. I graduated from Butler. Over 900 kids in my graduating class, I'd say 40% did not smoke pot. Not that I think anything is wrong with smoking pot, there really isn't, but that's a different thread that's already been argued to death I believe here (or another forum.)

So, yeah, don't bother coming to the 7th best small city in the US. It isn't all it's "cracked" up to be. That's because it's the Heroin capital of Pennsylvania, not the Crack capital of Pennsylvania. Though, I imagine there is plenty of that to be had as well.

Uhm... I don't think you understood the game right. :(

I live in Guelph, Ontario, Canada. It's a small city that is about an hour and a half from Toronto.

I've lived in several places in Canada and I really like Guelph. Lots of green space, bike lanes on most of the roads, some great walking trails, low crime rate, and a nice range of housing. We have a good university in town (with a vet school). Lots of interesting small restaurants and art galleries.

We're located near the cities of Kitchener, Waterloo and Cambridge, and many people commute to Toronto as well (you can take a train in and back) so employment opportunities seem to be pretty good.

As far as schools go, I looked up the rankings, and it seems to be the same as most places I've lived: schools in the wealthier parts of town have higher scores, schools in the poorer parts of town have lower scores. The better-ranked schools are among the best in the province.

TP

OK, I'll do it anyway:
(I'm doing Portland because that's where I'm from, I'm only in Corvallis for school)

1. The weather is very moderate. The lowest monthly average low is 35 and the highest monthly average high is 76. Truthfully, in the summer, we can go an entire month (or even more!) with less than an inch of rain and 80 degree days every day. We're in what is called the "Mediterranean climate" of cool and dry summers. Also, the humidity in summer is great, I think it hovers around 30%, not too dry or too humid. It's true, it rains a lot but it's only that we have a lot of days with rain, and not a large cumulative amount of rain. We're not even close to being the wettest city in the US. Also, the snowfall is so little. We're talking maybe 1-2 inches 1-2 times per year.

2. The bonus to having so many days with rain is that it's SO GREEN AND LUSH!!! This is a factor that is extremely important me. I hate driving through a lot of metro areas where all I see is concrete and garbage. Here, all you see is beauty, trees, flowers, and plant life all around.

3. Our parks are so amazing! I still think we're the top city in the country (or world?) with the most parks in its city limits. There's Forest Park that is a forest within the city. It's a good place to hike if you need your fix, or to start out on. Either way, you still have a cell phone signal! Washington Park is like the Disney World of parks, it's so amazing, I remember being beyond stoked as a kid to go there. Next to it is the International Rose Test Garden. You'll never see so many roses in your life when you go there. The zoo, the children's museum, arboretum, Japanese garden, Pittock Mansion, and much more are all super close to this as well.

4. Outdoors! This is my favorite part about the city. The beaches are 1 hour away, the mountain is also 1 hour away, there's endless forest and hiking at your fingertips, windsurfing in the gorge is one of the best spots in the world, TIDEPOOLS!, desert, mountain ranges (2 surround Wilamette Valley, where Portland is), oh... there's so much to list!

5. Wine country. Our soil is similar to a lot of the main wine producers in the world and therefore, we are along some of the top wine producers in the world. Lots of people go on wine tasting tours around here.

6. You're not far from quiet. In fact, some of the city is in an agricultural zone. Need to get away, it'll only take you minutes to get to a rural setting.

7. Intel, other technology companies and medicine. These are all in abundance here. Not only are jobs in these field of plenty but if your kids are looking to get into these fields, there's a lot of school programs to get experience or a lot a student (college aged) opportunities. We have what is called the Silicon Forest, like the Silicon Valley...

8. Disaster zone? NO! No hurricanes, no tornados, no big snow storms, flooding is extremely rare and non-existant in most areas, earthquakes happen but have little affect because of building codes and better soil situations compared to SF, no tsunamis (too far from the ocean and there's a mountain range in the way).

9. Also, I've mentioned this before in another thread: while Portland is a big city, it's bigness is trumped by neighbors Seattle and San Francisco who are bigger terrorist targets. While it's kind of weird to think about, it's a factor for me.

10. We have hills and mountains! I've been to places where there so little elevation change that it's actually very distracting to me. I love seeing mountain ranges.

11. No sales tax.

12. You don't have to pump your own gas! Actually, I don't even officially know how to.

13. It's hard to find Portland natives. Not because they all move, but because so many people from other places move here!

14. If you're a health nut, it's like health nut central. There are so many organic, natural, fresh, blah, blah, blah things that it's almost unbearable sometimes. Almost. It makes organic eating cheaper a lot of the time!

Cons:

1. Housing is expensive. What you can get for $300,000 here is nothing compared to what you can get in other places in the country. Also, it's one of the tightest renting markets.

2. The public education system isn't the best. It's usually ranked middle-low. But, if you manage to do private school or move to the Beaverton or Lake Oswego school districts, you'll be fine.

3. The rain can get to you. I love the rain but it was tough when it rained every single day in March except 1 this year.

4. I said it hardly snows but in the rare occasion it does snow a lot (the most I remember is that it was 12" one day. Otherwise, a lot only means 4-6"), the city is in shutdown. Not only are there only like 2 snowplows for the whole city, but most of the city is hills so it makes it hard even more.

"Keep Portland Weird" is a common saying. Ever watch Portlandia? It's not too far off, and Portlanders like to be weird.

Really though, I suggest a suburb of Portland. Either SW Portland, NW Portland, Beaverton, or Lake Oswego.

Good luck on your search!

Random Portland area photos:

6994104510_52e93469fd_c.jpg

Indian Beach

7140191867_7da28cca18_c.jpg

Tidepools at Indian Beach, with sea stars!

7140190099_758e9a5f10_c.jpg

Multnomah Falls, year-long waterfall (rare)

7140188797_2d70bb651a_c.jpg

Rose Garden, a part of it at least.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter