• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Selling a Car

luvsvacations

DIS Veteran
Does anyone know what they consider the best place to see a used car? We have it on craigslist but getting nowhere with that just a lot of "funny" questions........Thanks

I've used autotrader.com in the past, which was about $20 to list -- and have used Carmax several times, which probably won't yield as good of a selling price but is a no-hassle experience.

I just tried carvana - that price was way to low. Carmax requires about a 3-4 hour drive - and if did not give me an estimate - long way to go. So, I will try autotrader. Thanks

Carmax certainly has it down to a science. You will get less, but no creepy meet ups and idiots asking strange questions.

That 100% depends on the type of car you're selling. Give me a little info and I'll give you suggestions (I've sold at least 80-100 cars).

I will take any suggestions. It is a 2011 Ford Escape, 194K, highway miles. Mobil one oil. XLT 4 wheel drive. New wheels, tires, brakes, struts,
power - moonroof. Remote start. Thanks

You can bring it to a Carmax type place, but don't expect to get much for it. The reason why is they wouldn't put that car on their lot, it's too old and has too many miles. The only exception would be if the store really wanted a low budget option on their lot, but most of them don't. Therefore, they'd only give you slightly less than wholesale value for it because they'll take it right to auction (where it would be purchased by a mom & pop corner dealer). I know it's a pain, but Craigslist, FB, maybe Ebay are the best places to sell a car like that if you want a decent price for it. You'll have to sort through the scammers and tire kickers, but a buyer will come along.

If you don't mind me asking, how much do you have it listed for? That could be part of the issue.

You can bring it to a Carmax type place, but don't expect to get much for it. The reason why is they wouldn't put that car on their lot, it's too old and has too many miles. The only exception would be if the store really wanted a low budget option on their lot, but most of them don't. Therefore, they'd only give you slightly less than wholesale value for it because they'll take it right to auction (where it would be purchased by a mom & pop corner dealer). I know it's a pain, but Craigslist, FB, maybe Ebay are the best places to sell a car like that if you want a decent price for it. You'll have to sort through the scammers and tire kickers, but a buyer will come along.

If you don't mind me asking, how much do you have it listed for? That could be part of the issue.

The mileage would be the issue. However, looking at their site, they do have cars for sale with up to 140,000 miles on them. CarMax does go back 10 model years on their lot so it passes that test. But they buy anything. They just wholesale them to other dealers.

We are asking $5300 for it, knowing it will be less. I have had 3 people asking if anything is wrong or any leaks. No great shape. Then they send a question with a link to a site to get a history report. They all give a link. I Tell them I have the report already and never hear anything else. Do they get money if you get a report using their website?

I'd have to do a bit more research, but in all honesty I think you've got it significantly overpriced. People looking for a car like yours are looking for bargains and not likely to even inquire on a car that's got an asking price higher than what it's really worth. If you're the original owner and have kept really good care of it, that's a major selling point. However you've got to price it properly, then you'll get a ton of interest. The reason why is that lower price cars on CL, Ebay, etc...are often sold by shady flippers or kids who have Pep Boyz'd the car to death. That's a major turn off. But a one owner car and/or one well cared for by a "regular person" are sought after. They usually sell in a flash.

Those 3 responses you got are probably scams/viruses. Don't click on the link or respond to their e-mail. One way to tell is if they're asking questions you've already clearly answered in your ad. For example if your ad clearly says "No leaks and the car needs no work" and they ask you if it's leaking anything, it's very likely a scam/virus.

Try posting on FB market and any local FB sales pages in your community. But it does sound like your vehicle is overpriced. I wouldn't inquire about a vehicle that is valued at a couple thousand more than what I would offer.

OK - we shall drop the price more and ignore those emails. It is one owner and in great condition - nothing needs to be done to it. So - wish me luck and thanks for the advice!

I will look at facebook market - have never looked into that at all. It is much nicer than what I have seen. Just things like the back trim of the hatch and over the wheels have been trimmed in line-x. Thanks

I will look at facebook market - have never looked into that at all. It is much nicer than what I have seen. Just things like the back trim of the hatch and over the wheels have been trimmed in line-x. Thanks

Have you looked up the value on Kelly Blue Book?

I have put mine up on Let it go and Offer Up. We also did Craig's List. I might end up taking it to Carmax. It is a 2015 Nissan Leaf (Electric).
Carmax offer was $1500 over Nissan dealership!

Does anyone know what they consider the best place to see a used car?

"Best" is subjective and could be a place where selling is less of a hassle (i.e. wholesaler) vs. selling to a private party.......only you can determine that. As others have mentioned, selling to a private party brings various potential issues, so it is matter of how much that is worth to you. Wholesalers buy it with the intent to resell to someone else so will likely offer less then a private party looking to buy it for their personal use.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter