Senior Citizen activities @ the Boardwalk Villa

Uju'sMom

Mouseketeer
What are some activities a 70 year old Grandma can do in and around the Boardwalk while my daughter and I hit the parks?

There's not much right now. Pool. Walks. Some of the standard pool activities, but they orient to kids.

I'd think about booking AK. Boardwalk is a better location and more charming hotel, but to sit in a hotel all day, hard to beat animals on your balcony.

Is there a reason she doesn't want to go to the parks? My mom is 70, she gets the scooter and goes. With so much closed even if she doesn't want to go to the same parks as you, she could go over to Epcot and explore.

Thank you all for the feedback. This trip is planned for 2023 so hopefully things will be opened up.
Our last trip was in 2018 but mom was happy to stay in the resort while we went out. I just want her to experience a lot more than the room.
We are taking this trip from South Africa we lucky to see the animals all the time :-)

It depends on her level of activity normally. There is the regular pool and at least one quiet pool (there may be two I don't remember). There is always walking around the boardwalk and shopping and going to visit YC and BC and Swan/Dolphin. They have a great porch that looks out over the back lawn and boardwalk that is nice to just sit on and enjoy people watching. There used to be a short tour of the hotel you could take but who knows now. Not really a lot of do in the way of activities.

Boardwalk has a community hall. We only popped in because my friend was into pin trading, so I didn't pay much attention to what was going on there.

If she likes to walk, she can walk the loop and check out the gift shops and quick service restaurants in the Swan, Dolphin, Yacht Club & Beach Club. Or split it up and go to Swan and Dolphin at one point in time and Yacht Club and Beach Club at a different point in time.

She won't be able to go into the Stormalong Bay area (Yacht & Beach Club big pool) but there is a beach area at the Beach Club which is outside the Stormalong Bay area. They used to have lounge chairs there. I don't know if they still do now.

Closer to your trip, you might be able to see the hotel's monthly activity schedule.

I'm 70 and you couldn't keep me from the parks every day!
I may walk slower, get tired quicker, have aches and pains, but I just go at a slower pace and it is fine.
As a PP mentioned,there are ECV's available that make it easier to get around.
I would hate to think she would miss out on the parks, as they are much more than rides and running around. We love the shows, the ambience of each park section, the stores, food, and people watching. I bet she would love to find a nice quiet spot and people watch for a while. It's truly magical in the parks, and I hope she can get a chance to visit them.

Thank you for your feedback.
I really want to plan an amazing trip for mom.
In 2018 we went to HS but the walking was hectic and she was a bit overwhelmed and overstimulated by everything and particularly upset by lack of clean tables @ QS.
I'd love a do over to recreate the memories since baby will now be 7 and Gran 70.

If she gets bored, she could buy a ticket to Epcot (assuming there is park availability, if that is still a thing). She might enjoy walking around there by herself. It's a lot calmer than DHS, and if she does get overwhelmed it's a short walk back to the BoardWalk.

If you're going to Epcot with your child, that might be a good day for her to try joining you in a park.

What are some activities a 70 year old Grandma can do in and around the Boardwalk while my daughter and I hit the parks?

Hopefully, all of the entertainment will return way before 2023.

I enjoy the early mornings sitting and enjoying the quiet by the lake on the boardwalk waiting for the Boardwalk Bakery to open for breakfast to eat outside.

After sunset, the boardwalk lights up literally.

And the individual entertainers come out to entertain kids at heart of all ages.

I enjoy sitting out on the resort lobby balcony in a rocking chair people watching. And the are below in a padded wooden lounge chair.

Riding the Friendship boats and sitting in the rear bench enjoying the lake as it travels between the two parks and other resorts making a roundtrip without getting off unless I wanted to.

Watching an evening movie by the pool.

Enjoying watching families roast marshmallows over a fire.

I can't do this, but rent a Boardway Surrey and take her on a ride around the lake.

Or rent a wheelchair and take a nice stroll around the lake between the two parks and the other lake resorts on a nice day/evening. The sidewalks are very wide and lighted.

Check out the resort's daily activities schedule.

Hopefully, all these things will comeback someday.

Hopefully, all of the entertainment will return way before 2023.

I enjoy the early mornings sitting and enjoying the quiet by the lake on the boardwalk waiting for the Boardwalk Bakery to open for breakfast to eat outside.

After sunset, the boardwalk lights up literally.

And the individual entertainers come out to entertain kids at heart of all ages.

I enjoy sitting out on the resort lobby balcony in a rocking chair people watching. And the are below in a padded wooden lounge chair.

Riding the Friendship boats and sitting in the rear bench enjoying the lake as it travels between the two parks and other resorts making a roundtrip without getting off unless I wanted to.

Watching an evening movie by the pool.

Enjoying watching families roast marshmallows over a fire.

I can't do this, but rent a Boardway Surrey and take her on a ride around the lake.

Or rent a wheelchair and take a nice stroll around the lake between the two parks and the other lake resorts on a nice day/evening. The sidewalks are very wide and lighted.

Check out the resort's daily activities schedule.

View attachment 531037

Hopefully, all these things will comeback someday.
Wow! This is fantastic! Thank you so much!
I was considering changing resorts - but this made me fall back in love again with BWV.

Wow! This is fantastic! Thank you so much!
I was considering changing resorts - but this made me fall back in love again with BWV.

You're welcome.

And with a Friendship Boat, there are so many restaurants around the lake to dine at and to enjoy the other resort's daily activity schedules, too.

You might want to see if she could and would use a mobility scooter to get around. It is just a tool like anything else. It would be better than you pushing a manual wheelchair. I own a lightweight foldable electric wheelchair that I fly with. But there are plenty of rental vendors to choose from and that you can park in your resort room at the end of the day.

Hopefully, things will come sooner than later at BWVs.

I agree that a scooter may be a good option for your mother but beware that when the parks are crowded it can be tricky maneuvering in the parks with a scooter. People have a tendency to just walk in front of the scooters without looking where they are going. It can be very stressful driving around the park when this happens. Also getting the scooter on the bus can be challenging. On the upside it's easy to get the scooter on the Friendship boats and it would be easy and fun driving around Crescent Lake.

I agree that a scooter may be a good option for your mother but beware that when the parks are crowded it can be tricky maneuvering in the parks with a scooter.

That's when I will pull off to the side and people watch until the bulk of the passes by. Or go inside a store.

People have a tendency to just walk in front of the scooters without looking where they are going. It can be very stressful driving around the park when this happens.

That's true, but I find most guests are very considerate when I go to WDW.

On the other hand, I have been hit three times in a crosswalk while the driver was distracted

Also getting the scooter on the bus can be challenging.

Most newbies can practice making 90-degree turns or using ramps before using the bus.

And the daughter can put her mother's mobility scooter at slow speed and using the front steering tiller to walk the scooter up the ramp. Bus drivers do the same thing to park it on the bus.

If the rider can walk up the ramp to her assigned seat, the mother could drive it onto the bus.

On the upside it's easy to get the scooter on the Friendship boats and it would be easy and fun driving around Crescent Lake.

True. You still drive straight through the rear door, but then make a 90-degree turn through the rear doors and then another 90-degree turn inside to the handicap space.

I got to the point in my life when I couldn't walk from my resort room to the bus and then from the bus to the park entrance where I would rent a WDW ECV.

It became even worse in reverse at the end of the day to where I ended up staying in my room.

When I first rented a mobility scooter from a vendor, I was so happy I want to scream out loud...FREEDOM!

I felt free.

I visited every resort that I couldn't go to before.

I didn't have to cry because I was having to brace myself against anything to keep me from falling down until I could find a place to sit.

Having to do without for so long having to worry and plan if I could make it from point A to Point B.

After that one experience, I researched and I bought my own portable mobility scooter that I could breakdown and place in my car's trunk.

But that was just my experience.

That feeling to this day, even now brings tears to my eyes.

Freedom.

That’s great RaySharpton. I’m so happy for you! I’d love mom to have that same freedom and keep up with the rest of us. I’m gonna look into adding a scooter into our plans - even if it’s just for a few day’s. We don’t see many scooters where we stay so I know it’s gonna be a culture shock for her.

That’s great RaySharpton. I’m so happy for you! I’d love mom to have that same freedom and keep up with the rest of us. I’m gonna look into adding a scooter into our plans - even if it’s just for a few day’s. We don’t see many scooters where we stay so I know it’s gonna be a culture shock for her.

There may be a mobility vendor near where you live that could just to see if she might practice and see if she might like it.

Or wait until you arrive at WDW.

Eventually, I think she might prefer an electric wheelchair like I use now.

If you need more info you can click on the link below in my signature area.

She is very lucky to have you as a daughter.

Hey, I'm a 70 yr old mom (not a grandma yet) and I hit the parks. Unless there is something good on television that I want to watch. Or head to the pool. She might even want to get an adult beverage or two while you children are out of her hair.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter