• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Senior Pictures Question...

If they are charging $90 an hour for their services that, IMHO, puts them out of the range of being tipped.
The debates here about tipping often center on what wage level a person should not longer expect a tip. I won't throw gasoline on that fire except to say that someone charging $90 is making at least twice the hourly wage that I would stop tipping at.
Eh. How far is the zoo from the photograher's home? What kind of planning goes on for the photo shoot? If they are shooting for an hour, I can see how it could get to several hours of work easily.

I wouldn't tip the photographer, but it wouldn't be based on this. It would be based on them running their own business and setting the price they need to make it worthwhile. If it was a wedding, and I felt they had gone above and beyond in some way, maybe. But not for this.

I’ve never tipped a pro photographer, but granted it’s been many years since I’ve used one. Like others have said, I feel like your co-worker set a price that she decided was fair for the service provided. Perhaps taking into account that it’s not her full-time income and you’re a friend. I’m also assuming you are paying an additional cost for the actual photos. Of course you may want to tip if she does an exceptionally good job, however I don’t think you should feel obligated.

BTW, sounds like an interesting photo shoot; hope the animals cooperate. ;) That kind of senior photos are not customarily done around here, nor are HS graduation announcements.

How far is the zoo from the photographer's home? What kind of planning goes on for the photo shoot? If they are shooting for an hour, I can see how it could get to several hours of work easily.

I agree. When the clock starts is likely factored into the hourly charge, particularly if only charging you for the actual time spent taking pictures at the zoo. There is also transit time to/from the zoo, setup time for any lighting or backdrops and additional time spent scouting out the best 'locations' at the zoo to take pictures. Even if doing this as a part-time job, all of those things take time to do. Anyone running a business has to consider that in the cost/hour they charge. A pro photographer probably isn't going to randomly walk around with the client and snap a few pictures.

A minimum of 40 edited pictures. Printing will be on me.
So much for TVGuy’s argument about this taking “only” an hour. Editing will likely take longer than the shoot.

Looks to me like you’re getting a bargain. I wouldn’t do all of that for $90 (as an amateur enthusiast).

You could round up to an even $100 but you might not even know if the pictures are very good yet when you pay.

I hope you will share some when you get them. I’m very curious to see what they do with the zoo setting.

$90/hr is a bargain around here. I have a niece who is an established wedding photographer and she and her assistant do often get tipped for good service. We did tip our daughter's senior photos photographer because the service was truly excellent and she send sneak peeks the same day and then delivered the pics in about 3 days. It was really nice.

Eh. How far is the zoo from the photograher's home? What kind of planning goes on for the photo shoot? If they are shooting for an hour, I can see how it could get to several hours of work easily.

I wouldn't tip the photographer, but it wouldn't be based on this. It would be based on them running their own business and setting the price they need to make it worthwhile. If it was a wedding, and I felt they had gone above and beyond in some way, maybe. But not for this.
Also missing is if this photographer is also printing up the photos and doing all the color correction, etc. THAT is where portrait photographers really make their money not in the sitting fee.

So much for TVGuy’s argument about this taking “only” an hour. Editing will likely take longer than the shoot.

Looks to me like you’re getting a bargain. I wouldn’t do all of that for $90 (as an amateur enthusiast).

You could round up to an even $100 but you might not even know if the pictures are very good yet when you pay.

I hope you will share some when you get them. I’m very curious to see what they do with the zoo setting.
I've seen her samples and really liked them. I'll be happy to share some when I get them in.

Our zoo has a carousel, a fantastic park, and some really pretty wildflower gardens to encourage pollinators. Mostly, though, what we're looking for is a place to take them that means something to the kiddo. If the animals don't cooperate, they don't, and we're OK with that.

I never said that. I asked in post 28 about other charges for printing and color correction. And OP said the fee was $90 an hour, not $90 flat rate.

EDITED: This is a good price. A friend who is a professional photographer charges $500 for a one hour session and will provide 60 edited digital photos, no prints.

Last edited:
Do you tip a photographer?

My co-worker is doing the photos and photography is a professional side gig for her. She quoted me $90 an hour, we are going to the zoo, and I'm covering her entry into the zoo.

I honestly have no idea about tipping etiquette with this type of service.
I would never have thought about giving a tip to the photographer

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter