Sensory issues and dress code at Palo?

J.Acker

Earning My Ears
I have sensory issues... And I only wear flipflops because of this. I've tried many other types of shoes, but my flip flops are the only things that I can comfortably wear. I just want to know, at Palo on the Disney Wish, if they'll turn me away because of them. I know they're getting stricter on the dress code, and I understand. But this is a medical issue. I even wear the flip flops in the snow where I live because boots hurt my feet. Sandals have too many straps, and hurt that way. And dressier flip flops are often made with stiff material like leather that hurts as well. Should I just give up hope on Palo?

The dress code is not as strict as it used to be and based on what they say at https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/faq/dining-food-beverages/dining-dress-codes/ , you should be okay with flip flops.

Dress Codes for Adults-Only Restaurants for Guests 18 and Older

Adult-exclusive restaurants aboard Disney Cruise Line ships are elegant dining experiences. Guests are requested to dress in a manner consistent with the restaurant’s atmosphere. Formal or semi-formal attire is recommended. Dress casual attire with a polished look is permitted (such as dress pants, jeans in good condition, collared shirts and blouses and lifestyle shoes). Clothing such as T-shirts, swimwear and sports attire is not permitted.

I've worn regular, non-dressy, solid black flip flops with no issues. I can't imagine anything would be said to you, but if for some reason it is, I would think its Disney and if you quietly and calmly explained your issue you would be fine.

Have a great time on your cruise!

I have sensory issues... And I only wear flipflops because of this. I've tried many other types of shoes, but my flip flops are the only things that I can comfortably wear. I just want to know, at Palo on the Disney Wish, if they'll turn me away because of them. I know they're getting stricter on the dress code, and I understand. But this is a medical issue. I even wear the flip flops in the snow where I live because boots hurt my feet. Sandals have too many straps, and hurt that way. And dressier flip flops are often made with stiff material like leather that hurts as well. Should I just give up hope on Palo?
I would respect others and not do Palo.

This is 2023; making adjustments for those who fit outside the standard (isn’t that a lot of people?) is finally happening. (And I am 60+. Very much raised as a rule follower. But also Southern, where the old saying is “we don’t lock away our special people, we take them with us.”). You have the right to enjoy special things - doing something that is not harming anyone else.

I am not fond of the flip flop sound, but some things I don’t enjoy, I can chose to “Let It Go.“ ☺️

I think I would talk to the Manager ahead of time. It’s pretty much Disney policy to accept a personal statement of need for “disabilities” - you don’t need to explain. Just verifying in advance there won’t be any problems.

You should be able to find the Palo Manager on Boarding Day in a designated place for a few hours before the Muster Drill. No need to rush and stand in line.

Ask / offer for a table near the entrance, so there’s a shorter walk through the restaurant. Once you are seated, no one will see your feet.

Good luck.

I would make sure you're wearing nicer flip flops at the very least. You can get some that are more fancy than say an old $1 pair from old navy for example.

I'd at least try to find the best pair that works for you and looks the nicest and I'd try to talk to the manager on the first day to make sure it would be okay.

All good responses above about what might be considered acceptable. However, the only opinion that counts is the person at the podium. Perhaps the OP can discuss the issue with the manager and let them know it's a medical issue.

I think you will be fine. You don't mention what type of clothing you are comfortable in, but I, too, have worn flip flops with maxi dresses and no one batted an eye because they probably didn't see my feet. I feel like if you wore them with a longer dress or a pair of pants no one would even notice. In fact, I think I wore flip flops and a sundress at Palo brunch on the Wish last October - zero issues.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter