Sept 2023 Family Trip While Pregnant

HoveringUnderTheHoneyTree

Earning My Ears
Hi all, I am planning a trip with my husband's family this September. It will be for a milestone birthday that his family wants to celebrate with him and since they all love Disney, DLR was picked as the destination. I will be 29 weeks pregnant with our first baby (I'm aware not everyone thinks pregnant at DLR is a good idea and that's fine, but I am already planning on going and managing my healthy, low-risk pregnancy as best I can, so no need for commentary on that aspect). His family will be coming with us, a group of 8 (plus maybe two others who haven't decided fully). The group will be me, husband, MIL, aunt, uncle, adult cousin, adult cousin's three year old, and 85 year old grandma. The two undecided are both adults. Dates we are looking at are Sept. 13-17 (13 and 17 must be travel days, not park days) for two day park hoppers.

My first question is about which days of the week to choose? Originally I was thinking that weekdays (Thursday/Friday) would be better since school is back and session and the summer trend of weekends being lighter than weekdays would be over. But I'm also aware that OBB last year was on Sun/Tues/Thurs and could very well be the same this year. If we did do OBB, likely only the younger adults would go (so me, my husband, his cousin, and maybe the 2 undecided). I'm worried if we do the parks on Thurs/Fri especially without doing OBB, we might run into extra crowds in both parks in the afternoon. I was also thinking if we wanted to grab OBB tickets, we could plan on arriving at our hotel Thursday afternoon and do OBB that night without a park ticket, and do our full park days Fri/Sat. I know I can't count on crowds being light any time of year, but there is still obviously some rhyme or reason to planning with as much foresight as possible. So I'm certainly not trying to pin all my hopes on one outcome, but asking for your general thoughts on this. And in case we do end up going, any cute/easy pregnancy costume ideas?

My second question is about dining reservations and general park strategy. If I'm correct, it seems that you can only make reservations for a group of 4 at a time. We will probably want to have at least 2 full group meals together at a table service restaurant during our visit, so I'm not sure what our options are there. Ideally we could do Trader Sam's for dinner on the day we arrive before the parks, and then one or two other in park meals (thinking one breakfast, maybe Carnation Cafe, and one brunch, Lamplight Lounge?). What is the best way to go about trying to secure reservations for a group of our size? I know walkup wait lists are available, and my husband and I had luck with this last year, but we were only a group of 2. Second part of this question is about Genie+ and LL reservations for our group. Is there a way to have all the tickets grouped together on an app and have multiple people access them at the same time? Can this only be done if everyone logs into one account? It would be super easy for two people at least to be able to manage Genie+ for the group since only 2 of us are really DLR vets (husband's cousin and me) who know how to modify/refresh, which times are best, etc. We plan on grouping off at different points, since aunt/uncle/MIL are going to be managing Grandma in a wheelchair and occasionally the three year old so they can go at their own pace. It would be ideal if everyone had the option to access but we could still have one person book at certain times. I know I will still be spending a lot of time sitting down and people watching while the non pregnant younger adults are going to want to go on coasters I won't, and I'm 100% okay with that.

Third question is about hotels and when/where to book. I want to book ASAP and pick a Harbor Blvd hotel for our group, but I really am concerned about the OBB dates and which days to pick, so that's my only hangup. Because I don't want to book days that don't line up with our park reservations since OBB dates aren't released for this year. From what I've read, they seem to announce them sometime in June? I am thinking I shouldn't wait longer than 3 weeks to book everything, especially because I'd like to secure a hotel before they fill up and have the option to make dining reservations which I thought were made 60 or 90 days in advance. If anyone has any suggestion of sites to use to book for the best deals, that's also appreciated!

Last question is any general advice for going while 29 weeks! We are from AZ so we can handle the heat, but I still plan on doing rope drop in the AM, napping midday while it's warmest, and coming back in the evening. Our hotel, whichever one we choose, will hopefully have a pool so I can cool off before the nap and take some pressure off the belly. I also plan on bringing shoes that allow for swelling (I have some Chacos sport sandals and sized up tennis shoes that are both super comfy) and focusing on hydrating as much as I can. I read that First Aid can be super helpful for pregnant women needing to rest or ice their feet, so I will definitely keep that in mind. TIA!!:thanks:

If I'm correct, it seems that you can only make reservations for a group of 4 at a time.
If you are reserving as soon as the window opens, you should be able to get a reservation for a group larger than 4 for most places. I was able to book Lamplight Lounge and Oga's Cantina with groups of 5 without issue. Trader Sam's I had trouble with and ended up splitting as two separate reservations (the other being on my husband's Disney account) for the same time.

If you are reserving as soon as the window opens, you should be able to get a reservation for a group larger than 4 for most places. I was able to book Lamplight Lounge and Oga's Cantina with groups of 5 without issue. Trader Sam's I had trouble with and ended up splitting as two separate reservations (the other being on my husband's Disney account) for the same time.
Thanks for this; I did check for the 60 day window earlier after posting to see as an example if I could reserve for a group of 8 and there were actually a few different options for a party that large. I'm sure certain restaurants are more difficult to reserve for larger parties but it does look like it's possible. Not sure where I got the idea that you can only reserve for 4 at a time, especially considering I'd done this for my family in the past on previous trips. :confused3 We may have to do the same for Trader Sam's if everyone wants to go.

This sounds like a great trip!
Your first question: I just got back from Disneyland (my daughter and I were there from Friday, May 12 to Sunday, May 14) and the lines were pretty long on Friday afternoon, though the park didn't "feel" so crowded. Particularly in Galaxy's Edge, where we spent a lot of time. :D On Saturday, the park filled up very quickly in the morning and stayed crowded all day, but on Sunday the security lines were shorter and rides in DCA were walk-ons till 10 AM. It was great. I've been hearing that Disney has been tilting reservations more towards tourists rather than locals, and that reservations are tough to get for passholders, meaning that more guests are visiting from out of town and they leave on Sunday. That definitely tracks with my experience!
Your second question: When I visited with a group of 10 at Christmas 2021, my husband and I both made reservations 60 days out for parties of 4 and 6 or 5 and 5. We made reservations for times about 20 minutes from each other (e.g. 8 PM and 8:20 PM) and the cast members had no problems seating our large party all together. Trader Sam's is better for drinks than dinner. With a group that size you'll be sitting outside - it's nice but kinda meh. I would try GCH Bar instead, it's got a pretty setting by the pool, the drinks are good, and the food is good. The quesadillas are delicious and the nachos are epic! Carnation Cafe and Lamplight Lounge are both good. I wouldn't panic if you don't get a reservation - you can always do quick service in the parks.
Your third question: I really like the Courtyard Marriott on Harbor. It's not as close as some hotels but it's a 10 minute walk away, my then three year old LOVED the bunk beds, and the bathrooms are great. Plus you'll be able to use their great waterpark.
Your fourth question: I was pregnant (15 weeks) at Disneyland a couple of years ago. I took the opportunity to drink lots of milkshakes, sit down and put my feet up at every convenient bench, and nap in front of the fire at the Grand Californian Hotel. Don't push yourself, take it easy, and don't feel bad about resting. There are lots of great places to chill out at Disneyland so enjoy!!

This sounds like a great trip!
Your first question: I just got back from Disneyland (my daughter and I were there from Friday, May 12 to Sunday, May 14) and the lines were pretty long on Friday afternoon, though the park didn't "feel" so crowded. Particularly in Galaxy's Edge, where we spent a lot of time. :D On Saturday, the park filled up very quickly in the morning and stayed crowded all day, but on Sunday the security lines were shorter and rides in DCA were walk-ons till 10 AM. It was great. I've been hearing that Disney has been tilting reservations more towards tourists rather than locals, and that reservations are tough to get for passholders, meaning that more guests are visiting from out of town and they leave on Sunday. That definitely tracks with my experience!
Your second question: When I visited with a group of 10 at Christmas 2021, my husband and I both made reservations 60 days out for parties of 4 and 6 or 5 and 5. We made reservations for times about 20 minutes from each other (e.g. 8 PM and 8:20 PM) and the cast members had no problems seating our large party all together. Trader Sam's is better for drinks than dinner. With a group that size you'll be sitting outside - it's nice but kinda meh. I would try GCH Bar instead, it's got a pretty setting by the pool, the drinks are good, and the food is good. The quesadillas are delicious and the nachos are epic! Carnation Cafe and Lamplight Lounge are both good. I wouldn't panic if you don't get a reservation - you can always do quick service in the parks.
Your third question: I really like the Courtyard Marriott on Harbor. It's not as close as some hotels but it's a 10 minute walk away, my then three year old LOVED the bunk beds, and the bathrooms are great. Plus you'll be able to use their great waterpark.
Your fourth question: I was pregnant (15 weeks) at Disneyland a couple of years ago. I took the opportunity to drink lots of milkshakes, sit down and put my feet up at every convenient bench, and nap in front of the fire at the Grand Californian Hotel. Don't push yourself, take it easy, and don't feel bad about resting. There are lots of great places to chill out at Disneyland so enjoy!!
Thank you! We are all super excited, especially me; I almost have more fun planning a trip than actually going on the trip! :rotfl:

I have been hearing from many that on "busier" days, the park doesn't feel much more crowded due to the reservation system. It would be really great if they were tilting those reservations more towards tourists. At least for me as a tourist, lol. Good to know! Right now we are leaning toward OBB on arrival day Thursday with only 3 of us going up earlier for that, RDing DL Friday and DCA Saturday. I used to be a die-hard "weekday warrior" at DLR, so if we do it this way it will be a fun (I hope) change for me.

That is super helpful to know about the reservations! I will definitely ask about that since I'm guessing our tickets will be split with me, my husband, MIL and grandma on one account and his cousin, her parents and her daughter on the other. Maybe groups of 4 and 4 won't be too difficult to accommodate after all. The reason I was thinking Trader Sam's is because my MIL and my husband's aunt+uncle absolutely love Tiki bars, but you're right that we'd probably be sitting outside. Maybe I can recommend for them to go as a group of 3 to try to get seated at the bar there, especially since I won't be drinking this trip. Never tried GCH Bar, but I will definitely look into it.

Thanks for those pregnancy tips! I'm glad it sounds like you had a great experience at 15 weeks. I'm hopeful that I'll get a little more of my energy back by then since I have had so much fatigue during the first trimester. But Disney always seems to be a source of natural caffeine for me! :yay:

I’ll try and chime in here on some of the questions, but first - CONGRATULATIONS! I travelled extensively throughout all three of my pregnancies and am glad I did - I hope you have a fantastic trip!

1 - there does not seem to be any rhyme or reason with crowds anymore. My advice is to check the magic key calendar and go on days where the most MKeys are blocked. In September that would mean going on a Saturday. I would assume OBB will follow the Tues-Thurs-Sunday of previous years.

2- Dining reservations can be made for multiple groups. Definitely try for lamplight - the brunch in particular is fantastic. As for G+ anyone with the Dl app and linked tickets can book for anyone else in your group. Some people find it easier to use one account but that is personal preference.
EDIT: I definitely would link everyone’s tickets in however many accounts you have. You select your ride party when making the booking so it can be done for one or many.

3 - many of the hotels offer cancellation or modification. You can’t beat Park Place Inn for proximity, although their pool is teeny tiny so if that is a priority for you I would suggest asking about the best hotel pools.

4 - while meant for infants and small children I do not think anyone would turn you away at the baby care centres if you needed a quiet AC place to sit in a nice comfy chair. I actually just did a search and you can absolutely use them while pregnant without a baby in tow. Another good place to just get away and put your feet up is the grand Californian lobby. Go up to the 3rd floor if you are seeking more quiet as there is a separate sitting area there. When we do all-day visits and aren’t staying the night this is our mid day break spot.

The cutest pregnancy costume I ever saw was this adorable gal dressed as Winnie the Pooh. Seriously I still remember her. If you went that route I would probably try and convince everyone else to go as tigger, eeyore, etc. ;)

Last edited:
I’ll try and chime in here on some of the questions, but first - CONGRATULATIONS! I travelled extensively throughout all three of my pregnancies and am glad I did - I hope you have a fantastic trip!

1 - there does not seem to be any rhyme or reason with crowds anymore. My advice is to check the magic key calendar and go on days where the most MKeys are blocked. In September that would mean going on a Saturday. I would assume OBB will follow the Tues-Thurs-Sunday of previous years.

2- Dining reservations can be made for multiple groups. Definitely try for lamplight - the brunch in particular is fantastic. As for G+ anyone with the Dl app and linked tickets can book for anyone else in your group. Some people find it easier to use one account but that is personal preference.
EDIT: I definitely would link everyone’s tickets in however many accounts you have. You select your ride party when making the booking so it can be done for one or many.

3 - many of the hotels offer cancellation or modification. You can’t beat Park Place Inn for proximity, although their pool is teeny tiny so if that is a priority for you I would suggest asking about the best hotel pools.

4 - while meant for infants and small children I do not think anyone would turn you away at the baby care centres if you needed a quiet AC place to sit in a nice comfy chair. I actually just did a search and you can absolutely use them while pregnant without a baby in tow. Another good place to just get away and put your feet up is the grand Californian lobby. Go up to the 3rd floor if you are seeking more quiet as there is a separate sitting area there. When we do all-day visits and aren’t staying the night this is our mid day break spot.

The cutest pregnancy costume I ever saw was this adorable gal dressed as Winnie the Pooh. Seriously I still remember her. If you went that route I would probably try and convince everyone else to go as tigger, eeyore, etc. ;)
Regarding your 4th point, the baby care center at DCA was very nice and you can use as you please.

However, the one in Disneyland (behind Plaza Inn) had an attendant last time we went who was very strict. She'd ask you at the front what your purpose was being in there before you can go to the back. Also, she didn't let my friend's 5 yr old daughter because she was "too tall." I think she mentioned the pottys there was only for 42" and below and my friend's daughter is I think 44" or 45".

I wish you well! I really do. I didn't have pregnancies that would have been ideal for a DLR trip at that stage unless I stayed at the hotel (which I'm sure is not your goal).

Just be aware that you can't predict your pregnancy, so I would strongly recommend a Plan B in the event that, as you near the travel date, you find you aren't quite as sure about the current plans. I was small and fit with my first but I gained over half my body weight while pg and developed kidney stones. I'm not trying to sound gloomy, just that you can't depend on how your metabolism has always been when you're pg. and what sounds great now may be a lot more difficult then than you think. And they may not!

So I'd just recommend that you get a nicer hotel if possible, which, if it turns out you need to spend more time there, is a good place to hang out.

My wife was pregnant while we still had our Magic Key passes and we went quite often! Just limits what types of rides you go on, and obviously need more frequent breaks. Any opportunity you can take to sit down and catch a breather is nice. We did a staycation at the Westin by Disneyland for her b-day. She was like 4 1/2 months pregnant at the time and we loved it. Very new, modern, clean. Bit on the pricier side though. And while its close to the park, it also is still a bit of a walk (10-15 min) that we just didnt want the extra mileage when she was pregnant (especially since you have to walk at the parks lol). Easiest/most convenient would obviously be GC but that's mighty expensive.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter