September 2018 TR- Thunderstorm Dodging, Toy Story Land Visiting

I've been keeping an eye on them. Nothing that looks to impact this week at the Fort, but possibly this week at GSP. We'll see. Too early to tell for the 8th-16th when we are at GSP.

Long range for both weeks has a 50-60% chance of scattered thunderstorms almost everyday. Looks like we are in the Summer/Tropical pattern. I have ponchos and last time I checked, none of us melt. Although that may be day to day. :D

j

Before last trip we purchased frogg toggs, and the only day DW did not carry her pants with was the day it POURED. We got off Haunted Mansion and it was a mad run to the restrooms, got our rain suits on, covered the camera gear and off we went to do more things.

Trip update and detour announcement.

We left home right at 0600 this morning, as planned. We made really good time with minimal traffic until we approached Atlanta. Traffic got heavier, but was still moving pretty well. Unfortunately, we aren't. The truck shattered a coupler from an intercooler hose to the intake. The coupler is plastic and the one end just cracked and blew apart. The truck drives enough to get it off the highway. Thankfully I'm in a populated area and there is a Ford dealer close. We are in a hotel for the night. The couple is easy to get to and should be 5 minutes to replace as long as they have one. We tried an auto parts store. They didn't have one and the hoses we tried to bandaid it with lasted about 1/2 mile.

Oh well, I was looking forward to checking out Lake Louisa. Maybe next time. And I'll miss my early morning chat with the CMs at the desk to get the best site.

Baring any more problems, we should be at the Fort tomorrow afternoon.

j

We left home right at 0600 this morning, as planned. We made really good time with minimal traffic until we approached Atlanta. Traffic got heavier, but was still moving pretty well. Unfortunately, we aren't. The truck shattered a coupler from an intercooler hose to the intake. The coupler is plastic and the one end just cracked and blew apart. The truck drives enough to get it off the highway. Thankfully I'm in a populated area and there is a Ford dealer close. We are in a hotel for the night. The couple is easy to get to and should be 5 minutes to replace as long as they have one. We tried an auto parts store. They didn't have one and the hoses we tried to bandaid it with lasted about 1/2 mile.

Oh well, I was looking forward to checking out Lake Louisa. Maybe next time. And I'll miss my early morning chat with the CMs at the desk to get the best site.

j
Jim and Ian, we are sorry to hear of your troubles, and here is hoping for a quick fix tomorrow. I would suspect finding a parking lot in Atlanta is a challenge with your big rig. Here is for a better day tomorrow, and an early afternoon arrival. Barb and Bill. Not missing much up “nort” than Lots and LOtS of unwanted rain.

j

Ugh, always something and something you would not expect to go. Hopefully dealer has one on hand and can get you up and running quickly. Safe travels on the rest of your trip.

Ugh Jim, I assume that was Sunday night. Hope you are on your way now. Atlanta was crazy this weekend. We enjoyed an early run on Saturday and then walked to the Dragon Con parade. I will say we saw a cool alladdin on a flying carpet with his dog as abbu. It was very impressive. I have seen them before while out running.

Kris, we are here right now. I thought of giving you a shout, but didn't have your number. We are at I-75 and S. Marietta Pkwy. Exit 263

Back at the hotel, a nice Radison in Marietta that is about a mile from the Ford dealer. There is an Applebees across the road. Dinner there instead of the bologna sandwich I had in the cooler. I Googled the hose/pipe/coupler. Apparently it is something that is known to fail. There is another plastic part on the pipe that also fails, so I'll be getting the whole assembly if they have one. Like any other dealer part, this one isn't cheap. Looks like $200-250 is the going internet rate. Interested to see how much the dealer will decide it is worth.

Cancelled our FoP and EE FPs for tomorrow afternoon. Even if the dealer has the part, we are still 8 hours away. Still going to make Illuminations tomorrow night. Looks like it will be gone by our next visit.

j

Sorry to read this, Jim & Ian. Hopefully you’ll both enjoy the hotel and have a smooth trip to the Fort tomorrow.

Hope you were able to get the parts you need. Prayers you & Ian have arrived @ the Fort. Please let us know how U 2 are doing. Hope the Fort missed these tropical storms.

So glad the dealer had your parts! Hopefully Y’all will be home this afternoon. If U can, keep in touch with all of us! Prayers with you for safety & all will be great.

hope you are on your way jim. Funny that is right where we keep our RV in storage :)

WE ARE HERE!!!!

Site 618 to be exact. Nothing like a little drama in a 15 hour drive.

Picked up the part for the truck and popped it on. Hit the road right at 9. For those that don't like Atlanta traffic, here`s what downtown was this morning. Two words.

NO FEAR!
20180904_092743-1165x655.jpg

All in all, we made good time. Stopped for fuel in S. GA and cruised into the Fort. We pulled in right at 4pm. The GPS when we left ATL said we would arrive at 4:02.

Check in was a breeze. 5 lanes open and only 2 busy. I asked what loop we were in and she said 1400. I groaned, saying the only Premium loop I have ever been in was 1400. Can I have anything else? I said I'll take anything up the middle. 600-1100. She said how about 600? I said great. She looked at the 42 ft behemoth behind the truck and said 618 is 67 ft long. Yep, that should work, so here we are.

Here is the required photo of the Fort sign and one of our site. We aren't finished setting up, but we were going to eat and run over to EPCOT. Now to relax and have some fun. I'll post more later. Maybe in the morning since EPCOT has EMH tonight.

20180904_160400-1165x655.jpg

20180904_165758-1008x567-1.jpg

j

Glad you made it. Now go and play. We will get our “fort fix” through your trip report.

600 Loop, way to go !!! You are my new best friend.....:) Need a small favor to ask...:worship: If you have a second or two in your travels, to grab snapshots of sites 602,615,620,625,627,629 and finally 637. These are the primary sites that supposedly one can get a rig of our size in to. Enjoy the Fort and Disney.

Jim, glad you and Ian finally made it. At least it was an easy, albeit not cheap, fix. Enjoy

Back from EPCOT. Jumped on the bus and made it to the park by 6. Soarin showed a 15 minute wait so we hit that right off. It was almost a walk on. I couldn't believe it. As the evening went on, it was obvious the crowds were a 2, maybe 3. After Soarin we wandered back through WS. We seem to always start at Canada and go CCW. According to the really official poll on the DIS, clockwise is the preferred direction. Oh well. We checked out many of the food booths. Nothing seemed to say "eat me". We wandered a few shops killing time until Illuminations. By the time we made it to Japan, we decided to get something to eat. Not sure why, but we usually end up eating at the CS place on the hill. It's not great, but it isn't terrible.

About 8:30 we thought we should find a good viewing spot. No problem there. Almost anywhere had space on the rail. We ended up in front of Italy. The sow was as good as I remembered. Tonight was EMH until 11. Without DW along, we were free to stay un til the late close. After Illuminations we got a little treat. We happened to be in China looking though the shop. DS was getting some pics when he heard them say the bridge by China was closing to allow the barge to go back in the canal. I never realized there was a draw bridge there. Here are a few pics. Pretty cool.

20180904_213458-1008x567.jpg

20180904_213533-567x1008.jpg

Plans for tomorrow are to rope drop AK and make a fast walk to FoP. We had to cancel our FPs for today and want to ride that one more time. We will end up at MK. I was able to move our FPs around to let us get to AK in the morning. DW flys in tomorrow evening. She is taking DME from the airport and should be at the Fort by 8:30 or so. I told her I'd meet her at the Outpost.

Here's a couple more pics from this evening.

20180904_184128-1305x979.jpg

The GoG building. It really is as big as everyone says.

20180904_184108-1305x734.jpg

j

I've been keeping an eye on them. Nothing that looks to impact this week at the Fort, but possibly this week at GSP. We'll see. Too early to tell for the 8th-16th when we are at GSP.

Long range for both weeks has a 50-60% chance of scattered thunderstorms almost everyday. Looks like we are in the Summer/Tropical pattern. I have ponchos and last time I checked, none of us melt. Although that may be day to day. :D

j

Just noticed that you will be in Gulf Shores soon. We live in Orange Beach and the rain forecasts for our area are seldom correct. Hopefully this TS hasn’t done too much damage and the weather will be beautiful while you are here!

Even though we all have a handful of the Fort Wilderness entrance sign photos, it would just feel wrong not to take another. My favorite!

Glad you and Ian were able to pick up the part and get on the road in a somewhat speedy fashion.

I'm impressed you were able to check in and get off to the parks within two hours. My ocd has me taking about three - four hours to get set up before I can relax and enjoy.

Nice photo of the two of you! We need more selfies in our trip reports!

Enjoy AK today. We too are looking forward to getting back to that park.

What is the GoG building?

For those that don't like Atlanta traffic, here`s what downtown was this morning. Two words.

NO FEAR!
View attachment 348399

j

You hit it great!! Just don't think that is the norm though!! After living in it a few years, then driving through and towing a couple times after - two words - No Way!!! It's usually light on Holiday weekends unless something major is going on there. A lot of the work force has taken off.

Enjoy your trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter