September 2022 DisneyFit Exercise Challenge

Twilight Sparkle

DIS Veteran
Welcome to the September 2022 exercise thread. This month, we're exploring ways to stay active the Disney way - whether in the parks, a beach resort, or at home.

How it works: Each person chooses a time goal and posts minutes towards that goal as they exercise. The host (me) will keep track here on the front page and will announce color changes as they occur. You can post daily or just catch up when you can. You decide what movement counts towards your goal - which can be a nice round total for the month, a specific number that means something to you, or a calculation based on a target number of minutes per day.

Common goals for our 30 days of September:

15 minutes/day = 450
20 minutes/day = 600
30 minutes/day = 900
45 minutes/day = 1355
1 hour/day = 1800

One of the special motivations of our Disney challenge is color changing!
10% Bring It Blue
25% Off To The Races Orange
50% Powerfully Purple
75% Pump It Up Pink
90% Reach For It Red
100% Goal Grabbing Green

Our challenge officially starts September 1st, but feel free to jump in at any point! Just post a goal and I'll add you to the list. You can PM me with questions or check out old threads to learn how we do things around here.

Participants:

Twilight Sparkle 1815/1800
Raya 168/500
Oneanne 920/600 also surpassing stretch goal of 900!
PollyannaMom 455/450

DisneyTrippin' 40/600
sophy1996 1170/900
Bethislucy 515/450

Elizabeth Smith 630/700

Team: 5713/6000 95%

Last edited:

Thanks for being here! Let's kick things off with perhaps the most obvious way to stay active in the parks - walking! If you're a "park open to close" sort of guest, it's possible to rack up thousands and thousands of steps in one day at a Disney Park. My family and I are not rope droppers - preferring to arrive at the parks late morning instead, and yet I've still managed to hit just over 31,000 steps in one day at Magic Kingdom as my personal record setting day. My fewest steps are on our Hollywood Studios days, and now with Galaxy's Edge, I'm usually around 15,000 - 17,000 steps for the day. After seeing these numbers, I definitely feel like I needed those yummy Disney snacks that might have happened along the way!

How about you? Do you pay attention to how many steps you take when you're in a Disney park? I'd love to know if the CA and overseas parks involve as much walking as WDW.

I keep saying we need to slow down our park days, sit back and soak it in, but when we're there, that all goes away because we still want to try do it all! One day . . . Until then, I'll happily earn those treats while I can!

Hi all! I'm going to try for 450 this month. After being out with the crazy foot surgery last month, that was way more intense than I was led to believe. I'm still very limited on what I can do but I've got to do something I can sit around for another month and just put on more weight. So I'm going to try and work in some exercise videos a couple times a week. I learned really fast this week back to back days was a no go. I can't go to the gym yet because I can't wear real shoes so I'm hoping 3 times a week will get me going.

In for 900 this month. Started with a 25- minute walk.

25/900

PT absolutely counts.

Count me in for 600.
:welcome:

Hi all! I'm going to try for 450 this month. After being out with the crazy foot surgery last month, that was way more intense than I was led to believe. I'm still very limited on what I can do but I've got to do something I can sit around for another month and just put on more weight. So I'm going to try and work in some exercise videos a couple times a week. I learned really fast this week back to back days was a no go. I can't go to the gym yet because I can't wear real shoes so I'm hoping 3 times a week will get me going.

:welcome: Back!

25/600 to start the month

I do monitor my steps while I'm at WDW. I think my highest day was maybe 24,000, but lately trips have been a more stop-and-smell-the-roses relaxed pace. I think in March my highest day was 15,000, which is still a lot but not at the level I used to do.

Last edited:
I don't count steps, I count miles! On a single park day, we walk between 7.5 and 8.5 miles (according to my Fitbit's GPS). My highest every park day was 10.3 miles, when we did all 4 parks in one day. We've got another 4 parks in 1 day adventure planned for the end of the month. I'm excited!

45 minutes this morning on the treadmill
25 minutes at PT I'm super excited to have an expert on running work with me, but massively bummed to hear that I've bascially been running wrong all my life. Sigh.

70/500

How about you? Do you pay attention to how many steps you take when you're in a Disney park?

No, I don't wear a fitness tracker, so I have no idea. But I always feel like I get lots of healthy walking in. :cool1:

I only managed 10 minutes on the treadmill last night because I had tripped earlier in the day, and my foot was still wicked tender. I didn't want to take chances making it worse.

Foot is feeling better. Popped up to Maine yesterday-today to take DS (in college there) the rest of his stuff and to see his new place. Walked around for quite a while (the pier in Old Orchard Beach and a lighthouse in South Portland). Much of it was kind of stop-and-go strolling, but I think I'm safe counting 45 minutes, so that brings me to:

55/600

We have lots of minutes on the board already! Congrats to me, Raya, and the TEAM for reaching Bring It Blue!

Blue makes me think of another way to stay active on your Disney vacation - swimming!!! There are so many wonderful pools spread across the Disney properties, some beaches, and even a few water parks (I'm counting the slides on the cruise ships here!) just waiting for you to jump in and burn off some energy.

Here are just a few options:

1662317926538.png
Blizzard Beach would feel so good to me right now!

1662318054888.png
The pool (la piscine) at Sequoia Lodge at Disneyland Paris

1662318572374.png
Aulani

We'll take some time to look at more options later! In the meantime, do you set aside time for swimming - - or just relaxing waterside - - on your Disney trips? Whether a resort pool or lazy river, a beach, a water park, or water activities on a cruise ship, I'd love to hear about your favorite(s).

My husband isn't into water sports, but my daughter and I love the Uzima Springs pool at Animal Kingdom Lodge.

1662319195035.png
We try to make time for a swim there each visit. However, since we travel during the winter months, that can sometimes be a bit tricky!

The High Rock Spring Pool at Sarasota Springs Resort is also a favorite of ours.
1662319270909.png

+60

110/900

I always think I'm going to make time to visit the pool, but then I hardly ever make it. We enjoyed the pool at the Swan and Dolphin last spring (and we really enjoyed the lazy river that is shared by the Signia Hilton and the Waldorf Orlando!).

Our upcoming stay is at the DLH, so I hope to get a chance to enjoy the monorail slides. I hope it cools down for our trip, though--today's high in Anaheim was 108!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter