Serena Wlliams US Open

The referee is there to judge the GAME, not the behavior of the players, unless said behavior is clearly laid out in the rules of the game, i.e., no angry racket-whacking over the head of the competition! ;)
Well throwing a racket is part of the rules and is an offense which carries a penalty. The issue in that aspect lies with the fact that it's not called out as a penalty consistently with a general viewpoint that men "get away with" more things than women. But as I mentioned in my previous comment I believe that it should be taken up with the organization rather than right there on the court in the midst of a game.

As a general notation sports rules aren't just about the game. A common rule is unsportsmanlike conduct, showboating, etc. The behaviors of the players can in certain ways be just as important as the actual rules regarding game play. I do get your point but the ref isn't there to just judge the game, they do have the repsonsibility to also keep other rules in mind which cross over into how a player acts. Now to the actual situation like I said I'm on both sides.

"Other people do it too" is never, ever, under any circumstances, an excuse for doing something wrong so that shouldn't even be a part of the discussion.

I disagree with this only because the entire crux of the women's equality movement is based on the fact that men get away with behaviors all the time that women are punished for. So, in this case, it seems that Serena is pointing out the hypocrisy that is evident in the way this particular referee treats male players vs.female. It's a legitimate point to make.

The referee is there to judge the GAME, not the behavior of the players, unless said behavior is clearly laid out in the rules of the game, i.e., no angry racket-whacking over the head of the competition! ;)

Racquet abuse is in the rules. He had to give her that one.
Verbal abuse is also in the rules.
Coaching is also in the rules.

Everything he called was indeed a rules violation.

Exactly. Instead of being mad at the referee that was spot on in every way with penalizing rules violations she should be mad at herself for committing the violations.

It is nothing more, literally nothing, than trying to do damage control and distract everyone from all the rules she broke.

The fact people fall for it just shows how little intelligence some people have.

Last edited:

I disagree with this only because the entire crux of the women's equality movement is based on the fact that men get away with behaviors all the time that women are punished for. So, in this case, it seems that Serena is pointing out the hypocrisy that is evident in the way this particular referee treats male players vs.female. It's a legitimate point to make.

John McEnroe got defaulted for
1. Staring at a linesperson (warning)
2. Slamming a racquet (but not breaking it) (Point)
3. Yapping at the ump protesting #2 (match)
That's Not all that much different from what Serena did.

I'm not saying men NEVER get penalized, but this particular ref apparently has a history of taking much worse from male players and not issuing violations for "verbal abuse."

Exactly. Instead of being mad at the referee that was spot on in every way with penalizing rules violations she should be mad at herself for committing the violations.

It is nothing more, literally nothing, than trying to do damage control and distract everyone from all the rules she broke.

The fact people fall for it just shows how little intelligence some people have.
Sure does. It shows they are capable of understanding more complex issues and looking beyond the surface to see if there are deeper questions.

Three instances? I'm not really a tennis follower, but even I was aware of McEnroe's temper tantrums and outrageous behavior during games. It seemed to happen more often than not, and it lasted for years....so he got defaulted three times?

I think she definitely has a point, but she’s still in the wrong.

I was reading a twitter thread that points out instances where this same official did not call rule violations on men. I know just as a casual observer there is a disparity, but it was interesting to see someone point out all the times it has happened. She's not wrong about it.

Yes, she should have kept her temper. But it's pretty obvious that the rules have been enforced unevenly.

Maybe Serena shouldn't think she is above the rules...

She broke the rules. She was punished for them. Sucks, but her behavior needed to be called out.

The sexism thing is beyond that. Maybe it was, maybe it wasn't. Doesn't matter. If she hadn't broken the rules then there would have been no issues either way.

Someone with his experience should know how hard he's going to apply certain rules at certain levels. The no coaching rule is one that very few agree with and few comply with. If you think Osaka's coach wasn't doing the same thing, well hah! This ref's defenders are saying he's known as a stickler. They are ignoring that he's known as a stickler in selective circumstances.

Actually he has a reputation as being a stickler for the rules much to the chagrin of several male players that like to violate them.

It's impossible to be a stickler when it comes to the coaching rule. Every coach including the opponents of the people called does it and with his years in the chair, he should know when to let things go and let the players play. He decided to be a big shot yesterday. It's that simple. I've seen several people do it and part of my job is to control myself from doing that no matter how much I don't like or am annoyed with an athlete.

Even the always pro-Serena announcers pointed out that it was the fact that it was her 3rd violation that caused her to lose the game for verbal abuse. The men may do some of that, but not 3 times. They seem to allow some racquet banging without a violation but not destruction from what I have seen. Serena is a very good player but has had her issues over the years. She was screaming at the ref a lot, and I really felt bad for Naomi who looked as if she was on her way to a good win.

I don't think breaking your own racket should be a rule violation. Breaking your opponents? Sure.

Then again, I don't follow or play tennis.

Even the always pro-Serena announcers pointed out that it was the fact that it was her 3rd violation that caused her to lose the game for verbal abuse. The men may do some of that, but not 3 times. They seem to allow some racquet banging without a violation but not destruction from what I have seen. Serena is a very good player but has had her issues over the years. She was screaming at the ref a lot, and I really felt bad for Naomi who looked as if she was on her way to a good win.
I think a referee can discern between racquet banging because you are mad at yourself and raquet destroying because you are mad at a call by a referee or linesman. First warning about the coaching should have been her mental note "this guy is watching everything and going to call it if he sees it", not but "everyone else does why am I getting called?" Maybe they are sneaker than you were?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter