Serena Wlliams US Open

With what I saw I'm surprised she wasn't thrown out.
I know. John MCEnroe aka SuperBrat was kicked out in 1990 from his match for way less than what Serena just did. He stared at a linesman, broke his racquet too, and muttered a word or 2 under his breath to himself not the 5 minute tirade Serena went on. He has also been banned from tournaments, kicked out of matches and fined repeatedly for is behavior. She got off light even with her fine.

Three instances? I'm not really a tennis follower, but even I was aware of McEnroe's temper tantrums and outrageous behavior during games. It seemed to happen more often than not, and it lasted for years....so he got defaulted three times?
No that is just an example that was comparable to this one and he got a harsher penalty. He has had other outburst that were also punished over his career.

I know. John MCEnroe aka SuperBrat was kicked out in 1990 from his match for way less than what Serena just did. He stared at a linesman, broke his racquet too, and muttered a word or 2 under his breath to himself not the 5 minute tirade Serena went on. He has also been banned from tournaments, kicked out of matches and fined repeatedly for is behavior. She got off light even with her fine.

This isn't true. You are both not accurately describing his behavior. If something actually backs up your point, you wouldn't have to do that.

This isn't true. You are both not accurately describing his behavior. If something actually backs up your point, you wouldn't have to do that.
What part isn't true? It's well documented . Are you saying it never happened on January 20, 1990 to John at the match during Australian Open? 3 similar violations in one match. Serena is a great tennis player, but a poor looser, and a brat when she got caught doing things she shouldn't have. If she had an issue with the referee, file a complaint after the match with the the appropriate governing bodies, not throw a 5 minute temper tantrum during the final of the US Open.

Last edited:

I think a referee can discern between racquet banging because you are mad at yourself and raquet destroying because you are mad at a call by a referee or linesman. First warning about the coaching should have been her mental note "this guy is watching everything and going to call it if he sees it", not but "everyone else does why am I getting called?" Maybe they are sneaker than you were?

I agree but I don't think she helped her cause by repeatedly telling him he needed to apologize to her for the coaching violation. I think she was on her way to a loss either way.

It's impossible to be a stickler when it comes to the coaching rule. Every coach including the opponents of the people called does it and with his years in the chair, he should know when to let things go and let the players play. He decided to be a big shot yesterday. It's that simple. I've seen several people do it and part of my job is to control myself from doing that no matter how much I don't like or am annoyed with an athlete.

Just because it cannot be caught most of the time doesn't mean that one cannot be a stickler when it is caught. And it was pretty obvious too.

What part isn't true? It's well documented . Are you saying it never happened on January 20, 1990 to John at the match during Australian Open? 3 similar violations in one match. Serena is a great tennis player, but a poor looser, and a brat when she got caught doing things she shouldn't have. If she had an issue with the referee, file a complaint after the match with the the appropriate governing bodies, not throw a 5 minute temper tantrum during the final of the US Open.
Yes, it's well documented which is why it's easy to see you are mischaracterizing it.
Besides to in any way say Serena behaves more poorly on the court that McEnroe did it to equate her behavior to his is ridiculous .

It is true and backs up my point. Mac was indeed defaulted just as I said he was. Fourth round, Australian open vs Pernfors 1990.

He received a code violation unsportsmanlike conduct for intimidating a linesman. (He stared the linesman down and bounced balls off his Racquet) He was correctly warned.
He got a code violation for racquet abuse. He got a point for that. Same as her second code violation.
He got a third code violation for verbal abuse same as her third violation. Had there been a game penalty in place, he'd have got a game just as Serena did. There wasn't so he got defaulted.

Yes, it's well documented which is why it's easy to see you are mischaracterizing it.
Besides to in any way say Serena behaves more poorly on the court that McEnroe did it to equate her behavior to his is ridiculous .

Two of the three violations were the same. Racquet abuse and Verbal abuse. The only thing that differed between the two is what drew the first warning.

John McEnroe got defaulted for
1. Staring at a linesperson (warning)
2. Slamming a racquet (but not breaking it) (Point)
3. Yapping at the ump protesting #2 (match)
That's Not all that much different from what Serena did.

Two of the three violations were the same. Racquet abuse and Verbal abuse. The only thing that differed between the two is what drew the first warning.

You didn't accurately describe what he did.
He didn't just "stare at a line person". He went up to her in an intimidating way and started at her, bouncing his ball in her face.
He did didn't just "yap at an ump protesting". He said something extremely vulgar.

You didn't accurately describe what he did.
He didn't just "stare at a line person". He went up to her in an intimidating way and started at her, bouncing his ball in her face.
He did didn't just "yap at an ump protesting". He said something extremely vulgar.

I certainly did describe it accurately and don't take kindly to your accusation. But you go on and keep arguing that racquet abuse isn't racquet abuse and verbal abuse isn't verbal abuse.

The referee was applying the rules as written. Had he not, because it was the US Open Finals, would that have been better? Is the strike zone increased or decreased if we like one team over another? Or because it's the playoffs or the world series? The referee's reputation? Whatever does that mean?
I read another article written by the referee who had to disqualify a player. He indicated the referee did exactly what he was supposed to.
But the spectator doesn't know the rules of conduct.
Consider her opponent and the huge distraction this was to a competitor who was held to the same standards of conduct.
She was left to be boo'd by the fans and couldn't even enjoy the thrill of winning her first major.
No one should be bigger than the game.

I think the ref should never be the deciding factor in any game.
I think something as subjective as tone of voice should not be the cause of a penalty.
The point that this ref is a stickler for the rules is inaccurate, he has not been consistent with these sorts of calls, but that doesnt mean he is sexist, he made a similar BE call against Kyrgios for the way he asked for a towel from the ball boy, but has let many other incidents of similar or worse nature go. I think he let's his personal feelings about competitors away his descion.

Her coach Said he was coaching her.
She Did call the ref a liar.
She also called him a thief.
She did look like she was having a tantrum and smashed the racket. :(
She then told the ref he’d .. never be on her court again..
Crying, saying it’s sexist and playing the mom card didn’t bode well either. It just kept going from bad to worse.

This was a Sad reflection on her talent and sportsmanship. Rules were broken, penalties were given, and her game was lost.
Not what I expected from her at all, disappointed.

Just because it cannot be caught most of the time doesn't mean that one cannot be a stickler when it is caught. And it was pretty obvious too.

Disagree because he was being selective. If they insist on having this rule (and honestly, Williams is the only one that didn't argue against it these past few days), then they need a separate judge - much like the line judge - in charge of that...especially at this level. The chair ump should be focused on the game.

There are two narratives here:

She and her coach got caught doing something against the rules.

The media portrays her differently than others:

Boone gets ejected for arguing with umpire over a strike, New York Post considers it a character win by the Yankees for "overcoming" it:

https://nypost.com/2018/08/31/yankees-rally-for-win-after-boone-gets-ejected-for-arguing-a-strike/

But New York Post sasys Serena is a poor loser for arguing with umpire:

https://nypost.com/2018/09/08/serena-acted-like-a-sore-loser/

Mark Knight's cartoon. Tell me what's wrong with it:

DmtUvwfU0AAgMYg.jpg

https://twitter.com/scottkorin/status/1039168260439191552

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter