• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Service Dog at GCH

Yes. We see it almost every trip. The issue is the laws. Disney is only allowed to ask "Is this a service dog?" and "What is the dog trained to do?" There are people who feel they must take their dog everywhere, and will take the dog in and lie. People really don't understand the stress on a dog taking them into a park like Disneyland. There is a pink poodle that is there often. The dog is very scared. She takes off everytime the owner (older woman) drops the leash. The dog isn't dangerous, just tends to wreak havoc in the stores.

If your dog is well trained, it shouldn't be an issue. Our dogs will just look at the dog like "Your momma is gonna be mad!" I have had a pack of Newfoundland "service dogs" pull their handlers off their feet trying to get to my daughter's hearing dog. In 12 years (we average 8 trips a year), we have probably only had 3 serious incidents. The rest of the time, you just think "Liars" and move on.

We do not have a service animal. But we are recovering from a serious dog attack. Uncontrolled dogs would ruin the trip. I thought CA had laws about falsely claiming a service animal being a crime? When you say "serious incidents" can you explain please? Barking? Growling?

Livndisney, I just want to send some reassurance your way -- while I do agree that some people are bringing dogs into the parks that are NOT legitimate service dogs, we go to DLR at least 8 times a year, and we've never, ever seen barking, growling, or anything like it. (Not saying it doesn't happen, and I may not be as attuned to it since I am not bringing a dog into the park.) I just hate to see you worrying about something that I really, truly do NOT think will be an issue. While we do see dogs, it's still a pretty rare occasion, and we've never encountered one misbehaving that overtly.

Thank you. We work very hard to train the dogs to assit others. My daughter is hearing impaired. The brown pup is her hearing dog. The black dog is currently working with a woman who is paralyzed from the waist down and in a chair. Just to clarify, they are not considered pets.

I would love to take my pet around with me wherever I go. I joke with hubby I could claim she was a service dog, but I would NEVER do that. I hate when I see people out with the fake service dogs and the dogs are ill behaved, it makes people wonder if people really need the dogs just like people wonder if others need scooters. I wouldn't want to be a part of the fake service dog brigade because I would feel horrible if it cast doubt on the people that truly need them.

I think it is wonderful how dogs can help people that have a variety of disorders. I have always been a fan of dogs and it is amazing what they can do. I hope you and your family and your new service dogs enjoy Disneyland!

Anyway, related to your topic, I have only seen the cage at the Matterhorn for dogs, but it is right by the exit that if it were my dog I would be nervous about someone messing with the dog. The other areas must be camouflaged in and designed to look like a part of the park. I wonder if there is a list of pet relief areas at Guest Relations.

We do not have a service animal. But we are recovering from a serious dog attack. Uncontrolled dogs would ruin the trip. I thought CA had laws about falsely claiming a service animal being a crime? When you say "serious incidents" can you explain please? Barking? Growling?

I haven't seen any serious incidents of dog fights or bad behavior of dogs towards humans either. I have only seen dogs that were well behaved service dogs and the ones that I questioned if they were (in someone's purse) were behaved too.

I'm no expert but perhaps being around or at least passing by a well trained service dog might make you or who ever is afraid of dogs due to the attack start to feel a little more at ease. Don't get me wrong I'm not saying to go up and pet them or anything but sometimes if people see something behaving properly even from a far it can ease their fears a little. I am sorry to hear that there was a serious dog attack for you, I love dogs put there are a few breeds that even I would steer clear of.

I haven't seen any serious incidents of dog fights or bad behavior of dogs towards humans either. I have only seen dogs that were well behaved service dogs and the ones that I questioned if they were (in someone's purse) were behaved too.

I'm no expert but perhaps being around or at least passing by a well trained service dog might make you or who ever is afraid of dogs due to the attack start to feel a little more at ease. Don't get me wrong I'm not saying to go up and pet them or anything but sometimes if people see something behaving properly even from a far it can ease their fears a little. I am sorry to hear that there was a serious dog attack for you, I love dogs put there are a few breeds that even I would steer clear of.

Well trained and or/trained service animals are not the issue. The animal in question was "supposed" to be trained as a service animal and attacked more than once this year. A dog running loose as mentioned by Malcon 10t in a theme park could be very problematic.

I am very concerned by what Malcon 10t has written as I see they are noted as the "service dog expert" here.

Thank you to those that have posted words of reassurance. This is a very real concern.

One incident was a pack of 5 Newfies. (For the record, I love Newfies, and properly trained, would make great service pups.) They were sitting with their handler at the top of the walkway for the Space Mountain exit. We were walking up with our Lab?Golden cross. We made it to the point where you would turn left to go towards the bathrooms, and their pack lunged toward our pup. One lunged enough that it pulled its handler off her feet. My daughter put herself between the the dogs until the handler got them back under control. It all happened in the space of 15-30 seconds. The second was a Min-Pin at Matterhorn. It was barking and going nuts. A little boy leaned over the rope to pet it and was bitten. The third was a mixed dog, it dragged its handler through Critter Country then escaped and was just running.

Other non serious incidents were dogs simply not behaving, barking, eating food off the ground, saw one lab puppy that the handler wasn't paying attention to, and he actually ate candy from a kid in a stroller. The handler never saw and never corrected. And then there is the Pink Poodle.

Ah, yes...the infamous Pink Poodle! I've had 2 encounters with that one. The dog was actually ok, just a scared little thing that didn't want to be there. It was the 'handler' that really needed to be trained.

One incident was a pack of 5 Newfies. (For the record, I love Newfies, and properly trained, would make great service pups.) They were sitting with their handler at the top of the walkway for the Space Mountain exit. We were walking up with our Lab?Golden cross. We made it to the point where you would turn left to go towards the bathrooms, and their pack lunged toward our pup. One lunged enough that it pulled its handler off her feet. My daughter put herself between the the dogs until the handler got them back under control. It all happened in the space of 15-30 seconds. The second was a Min-Pin at Matterhorn. It was barking and going nuts. A little boy leaned over the rope to pet it and was bitten. The third was a mixed dog, it dragged its handler through Critter Country then escaped and was just running.

Other non serious incidents were dogs simply not behaving, barking, eating food off the ground, saw one lab puppy that the handler wasn't paying attention to, and he actually ate candy from a kid in a stroller. The handler never saw and never corrected. And then there is the Pink Poodle.

Wow why would any one handler have 5 dogs?! I understand being a trainer but 5 to 1 is ridiculous for that size of dog.

I hope the 3 top dogs were removed by a CM. If I came upon dogs acting like that I would go to GR and say something as they have every right to ask that the dog (not the person) leave the park since they are clearly not under control and one of the statues of the ADA is that the dog be under control of the handler.

I also know they are not pets but that doesnt take away that they are so freakin adorable! (yes, I am a HUGE dog person)

Well trained and or/trained service animals are not the issue. The animal in question was "supposed" to be trained as a service animal and attacked more than once this year. A dog running loose as mentioned by Malcon 10t in a theme park could be very problematic.

I am very concerned by what Malcon 10t has written as I see they are noted as the "service dog expert" here.

Thank you to those that have posted words of reassurance. This is a very real concern.

Sorry if I offended, I realize a dog attack is serious and lead to concerns and issues. I didn't know any details of your attack. I didn't mean to belittle it in any way, I was trying to reassure, guess you didn't take it that way.

Wow why would any one handler have 5 dogs?! I understand being a trainer but 5 to 1 is ridiculous for that size of dog.

I hope the 3 top dogs were removed by a CM. If I came upon dogs acting like that I would go to GR and say something as they have every right to ask that the dog (not the person) leave the park since they are clearly not under control and one of the statues of the ADA is that the dog be under control of the handler.
There were 3 "handlers". My favorite part was as the dogs were coming toward us, the handler was yelling "Don't worry, they're friendly." Personally, I don't care how friendly they are. They need to be under your control and if they want to meet me, you need to ask me if I want to meet them. Service Dog ettiquette.

I also know they are not pets but that doesnt take away that they are so freakin adorable! (yes, I am a HUGE dog person)
Thank you! We love them too. We've raised 9 dogs, with 2 dogs that were not successful. (No problem with that, sometimes a dog is happier being a dog. One dog lives with us, another lives in Napa Valley as a "greeter" to a very nice hotel.) We have raised 2 wheelchair assistance pups, 2 hearing dogs, 2 facility dogs and 1 search and rescue.

We were at DLR, both parks last week. In the six days we were in the parks we did see a few different service dogs.

NOT one miss-behaved or made a sound.

Wish I could say that for a few of the unruly kids.

I have only seen dogs that were well behaved service dogs and the ones that I questioned if they were (in someone's purse) were behaved too.
Just want to mention that small dogs carried in purses can be service dogs. If they are trained to detect seizures, for example, that can be done by a dog of any size and some people carry the service dog at times if it is small. :)

The "pink poodle" is well known by guests as well as Cast Members. The dog is an older miniature poodle that has been dyed pink. The dog is usually in a stroller, but when the handler goes on rides, they put it in a bag. The handler has tried (and probably succeeded) to sneak the dog on rides that are inappropriate, such as Tower of Terror. I've seen the dog turned away from Tower, with the handler throwing a fit that she needs the dog with her, and she needs to ride Tower. I've been at Pirates when they have come off the ride and in transferring the pup from the bagto the stroller, the dog escaped. The dog is a scared little thing. And she can run and it often takes several people to catch her. (I refer to it as a her since it is pink. It could be a male.) I've heard of an incident where she got loose and did damage at the Christmas store by the photo shop.

Since we have dogs with us, we tend to "feel" dogs around us before actually seeing them. There are quite a few dogs and like kids, most are very well behaved. It is sort of like misbehaving children in a restaurant, you notice the ones acting up, you rarely notice the well behaved kid.

The "pink poodle" is well known by guests as well as Cast Members. The dog is an older miniature poodle that has been dyed pink. The dog is usually in a stroller, but when the handler goes on rides, they put it in a bag. The handler has tried (and probably succeeded) to sneak the dog on rides that are inappropriate, such as Tower of Terror. I've seen the dog turned away from Tower, with the handler throwing a fit that she needs the dog with her, and she needs to ride Tower. I've been at Pirates when they have come off the ride and in transferring the pup from the bagto the stroller, the dog escaped. The dog is a scared little thing. And she can run and it often takes several people to catch her. (I refer to it as a her since it is pink. It could be a male.) I've heard of an incident where she got loose and did damage at the Christmas store by the photo shop.

Since we have dogs with us, we tend to "feel" dogs around us before actually seeing them. There are quite a few dogs and like kids, most are very well behaved. It is sort of like misbehaving children in a restaurant, you notice the ones acting up, you rarely notice the well behaved kid.

So Disneyland allows a misbehaving dog into the park on a regular basis? It does not sound like DL follows the guideline that "service animals that are not under control can be asked to leave." This is my concern. Thank you all for your insight, it sounds like it is best for us to cancel the trip. The last thing we need is to add more out of control dog drama.

Ah, yes...the infamous Pink Poodle! I've had 2 encounters with that one. The dog was actually ok, just a scared little thing that didn't want to be there. It was the 'handler' that really needed to be trained.

So Disneyland allows a misbehaving dog into the park on a regular basis? It does not sound like DL follows the guideline that "service animals that are not under control can be asked to leave." This is my concern. Thank you all for your insight, it sounds like it is best for us to cancel the trip. The last thing we need is to add more out of control dog drama.
The issue really is, the woman is disabled. Whether or not the dog is properly trained, when they ask her she replies the dog is a service dog. I believe the dog was removed after the incident in the CHristmas store. But only that day. The chances of you running into an incident is pretty slim. You are more likely to run into the positives. You are more likely to run into negative dog behavior outside the park. Dogs are allowed into the esplanade area when they go to the Disneyland kennels. We are at Disneyland more than the average person, so we see more than the average.

The issue really is, the woman is disabled. Whether or not the dog is properly trained, when they ask her she replies the dog is a service dog. I believe the dog was removed after the incident in the CHristmas store. But only that day. The chances of you running into an incident is pretty slim. You are more likely to run into the positives. You are more likely to run into negative dog behavior outside the park. Dogs are allowed into the esplanade area when they go to the Disneyland kennels. We are at Disneyland more than the average person, so we see more than the average.
You have to wonder why she doesn't seem to care about the well being of her poodle. This poor pup is obviously unhappy and afraid. It is cruel to subject it to such an atmosphere; for the owner to claim she needs its companionship to feel secure while denying that sense of security to her dog does not inspire my empathy. You would think someone with an issue with that would be more understanding. I'm just guessing here, but I think there may well be a bit of a...disconnect in her case.

And of course that leads to potential problems for other guests at the park. A frightened, unhappy dog can pose a hazard to others. However, I have to say that in all my many trips to DLR, I've never seen an out-of-control dog. When I saw the poodle, it was shaking and miserable; one time the woman was trying to sneak it on Splash. The CMs caught her and she loudly protested but didn't get on the ride.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter