Service Dog won't go on rides

Having volunteered at the leader dog training facility in Michigan here for my high school years this is the mentality we focused on removing from our dog recipients. It ruins a service dog to teach them that they get to choose when they do and don’t support their disabled human.

Imagine a seeing eye dog deciding that there are just some intersections it doesn’t like crossing.
If that is expected of service animals, then there shouldn't be service animals, IMO. This day and age there are plenty of other tools available. A dog's refusal could be due to many things - a sound they hear that we don't, for instance. That could be incredibly painful for the dog.

Having volunteered at the leader dog training facility in Michigan here for my high school years this is the mentality we focused on removing from our dog recipients. It ruins a service dog to teach them that they get to choose when they do and don’t support their disabled human.

Imagine a seeing eye dog deciding that there are just some intersections it doesn’t like crossing.
I can’t emphasize how strongly I disagree with this.
My daughters’s Service Dog was with us for many years, but had to be put to sleep almost 3 years ago due to age related issues. We (and everyone else I know with Service Dogs, who were trained in different places) was taught the opposite. If the dog doesn’t want to do something, NOT to force it.
We were taught that Service Dogs want to work. If the dog doesn’t want to work, it’s usually because the dog is sick, ill or something about the situation is making them uncomfortable. The Service Dog and handler(s) relationship is a trust relationship. The handler is responsible for the dog’s comfort - not working the dog when it’s sick or ill and not forcing the dog to do something that is making the dog uncomfortable.
As a handler, if the dog refused to do something, assume there is a reason and to figure out the reason - is it an unfamiliar situation that the dog needs more training about, is there something that is hurting the dog, has the dog sensed something it feels is dangerous that I’m not aware.
Forcing the dog to do something it doesn’t want to do can severely harm the trust relationship. The most common way to ‘ruin’ a Service Dog is doing things that harm that trust relationshi.

Lead dogs for the blind are taught to disobey if obeying would put the handler into danger. I’ve heard it called ‘intelligent disobedience‘. That includes crossing streets, which they do frequently. I’ve personally seen Lead Dogs refuse the ‘Forward’ command when crossing was not safe or there was an obstacle the blind person was not aware of. I follow a blind woman on Facebook who posts videos of her working with her Lead Dog/Service Dog. In one, the dog was refusing to lead her across a busy, noisy multi-lane intersection. Those of us who watched it after she posted it commented that her dog‘s disobedience prevented her from getting hit by turning cars at least 3 times. Several of us said we would not feel comfortable crossing that intersection as sighted people! She ultimately found a different way to go that avoided that intersection.

If that is expected of service animals, then there shouldn't be service animals, IMO. This day and age there are plenty of other tools available. A dog's refusal could be due to many things - a sound they hear that we don't, for instance. That could be incredibly painful for the dog.
Service Dogs are sentient living beings, not robots. Service Dogs with a good relationship with their handler want to work. A good handler realizes that and understands they are responsible for not working the dog (even it want to) if the dog is not up to working.
Someone who doesn’t understand that should not have a Service Dog.

This is a story I found on the internet.
»But, do they ever refuse to execute a command?
Yes. And when they do, the smart handler pays attention because they have a damn good reason.
Some years ago, I went to the movies with Declan, my first SD. We got my tickets and snacks and headed to the escalator to go up to the right theatre. We trained for countless hours to be sure he knew how to do them safely, and with him by my side, so could I.

But not this time. When I gave him the command to move forward, he refused. He walked up to it, but stopped me before I could get on. I tried again; he still refused.

A bit irritated, I went and got directions to the nearest elevator. If we delayed any more, we'd miss the beginning of the movie. While we made our way upstairs, I resolved to do more training with escalators to solve the problem.

I found my seat and Declan snored beside me once he knew I was safely in my seat and not likely to get up. When the movie ended, we went back over to the escalators, because I thought we should at least try again.

They were roped off with yellow caution tape, still and silent. I asked an employee, who told me they'd broken about two hours ago. Apparently, there'd been a great deal of grinding and some sparks and smoke involved.

After he told me, I stood there gaping at him, and then looked from him to my dog a few times. Based on the length of the movie, the escalator broke only a few short minutes after Declan refused to let me on it. I have no idea how he knew but I don't believe it was coincidence. »

Service Dogs are sentient living beings, not robots. Service Dogs with a good relationship with their handler want to work. A good handler realizes that and understands they are responsible for not working the dog (even it want to) if the dog is not up to working.

Yes. And when they do, the smart handler pays attention because they have a damn good reason.
Some years ago, I went to the movies with Declan, my first SD. We got my tickets and snacks and headed to the escalator to go up to the right theatre. We trained for countless hours to be sure he knew how to do them safely, and with him by my side, so could I.

But not this time. When I gave him the command to move forward, he refused. He walked up to it, but stopped me before I could get on. I tried again; he still refused.

A bit irritated, I went and got directions to the nearest elevator. If we delayed any more, we'd miss the beginning of the movie. While we made our way upstairs, I resolved to do more training with escalators to solve the problem.

I found my seat and Declan snored beside me once he knew I was safely in my seat and not likely to get up. When the movie ended, we went back over to the escalators, because I thought we should at least try again.

They were roped off with yellow caution tape, still and silent. I asked an employee, who told me they'd broken about two hours ago. Apparently, there'd been a great deal of grinding and some sparks and smoke involved.

After he told me, I stood there gaping at him, and then looked from him to my dog a few times. Based on the length of the movie, the escalator broke only a few short minutes after Declan refused to let me on it. I have no idea how he knew but I don't believe it was coincidence. »

Wow! What a fascinating story. It makes me wonder if there was something about the ride that made the dog decide that "rides" may be dangerous. That maybe the rock n rolling, or whatever it felt on the ride, could potentially not be good for its human.
But since the human thinks otherwise, let the dog stay off the ride, then make sure to give the dog an extra pet when you return so the dog knows you're OK.

Studies have also been published that show dogs can hear and sense seismic activity prior to it being picked up by seismic scales. This to me sounds like this could possibly be along those lines

Studies have also been published that show dogs can hear and sense seismic activity prior to it being picked up by seismic scales. This to me sounds like this could possibly be along those lines
agree.
I’ve seen stories of dogs barking and howling minutes before an earthquake.
With the escalator story, I wonder if the dog picked up a smell or slight sound before

Sitting here hoping really hard that the only rides dogs are going are like Small World and similar style rides and not on coasters.
They are allowed on most rides that have no height requirement, although that can vary slightly, for example, they are not allowed on Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway. If they are not allowed, there is a crate that can be used if everyone wants to ride together or the party can choose to do a "child swap". Where it gets trickier are on the rides where they are allowed, but for whatever reason the service animal won't go on.

Service dogs (well any animal really) shouldn't be taken on escalators or moving walkways while they are moving, as their paws can get stuck and damaged.

They are allowed on most rides that have no height requirement, although that can vary slightly, for example, they are not allowed on Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway. If they are not allowed, there is a crate that can be used if everyone wants to ride together or the party can choose to do a "child swap". Where it gets trickier are on the rides where they are allowed, but for whatever reason the service animal won't go on.
Are you sure? I saw a service dog handler post a video of them and their service animal on Mickey and Minnie's.

But it was Land not World.

Service dogs (well any animal really) shouldn't be taken on escalators or moving walkways while they are moving, as their paws can get stuck and damaged.
We never took our DD’s Service on escalators because she can’t go on them with a wheelchair. I have seen people bringing Service Dogs on escalators- not sure I would feel comfortable with that.
I just saw a photo on Facebook yesterday of a mangled pair of Crocs caught at the top of the escalator in The Land at EPCOT. Really makes you think

Humans do a lot of dumb things. I think it's possible the dog could have sensed something "wrong" with the situation. Even just their handler's heart rate increasing during the first ride could have made further rides a problem.

I can’t emphasize how strongly I disagree with this.
My daughters’s Service Dog was with us for many years, but had to be put to sleep almost 3 years ago due to age related issues. We (and everyone else I know with Service Dogs, who were trained in different places) was taught the opposite. If the dog doesn’t want to do something, NOT to force it.

I follow a blind woman on Facebook who posts videos of her working with her Lead Dog/Service Dog. In one, the dog was refusing to lead her across a busy, noisy multi-lane
The important thing in every case is that the dog is actually working to protect their person from actual danger. A situation described here as something dangerous for even a sighted person.

A properly trained service dog is meant to allow a disabled person to function in places where abled people are functioning safely.

The desire to anthropomorphize the dog with human levels of deductive ability needed for the dog to accurately associate sound he’s never heard before in a place he’s never been before with danger is exactly the lesson we would warn against.

On the other hand, whether it’s a guide dog or a sheep dog the experience is common where giving the dog even a little creative freedom ruins their training.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter