Set to fail??

Let the planning begin! :cool1:

Since we are still 5 months away from our trip there isn't much actual planning going on, but I miss the planning! I love my spreadsheets.

Here's the thing we have park tickets but haven't made park reservations, our friends haven't linked their reservation to their Disney account. I've asked them to do it a couple of time but they don't see the rush. I do know that I want to make sure we have our park reservations done in May so that we can make ADRs, I'll start bugging them in May. I'm worried about ADRs, first because we are a party of 9, so getting ADRs for groups that large is impossible. Second the other family has some picky eaters, but that's not too much of a problem because Disney has nuggets and burgers at most locations.

I've been reading the "Here now & just got back" thread and also keeping an eye on the Park Availability calendar trying to plan for the best strategy.

Park Day Plan:

Sunday: Magic Kingdom - can't wait until we get to take a wif of Main Street, best smell in the world.
Monday: Animal Kingdom - maybe we'll try Tiffins Bread Service at Nomad Lounge
Tuesday: Hollywood Studios - side story: we went to Disneyland Feb 2020, my family was able to ride RotR 4 times during our 4 days. I was at a work conference so I only rode it twice.
Wednesday:
Rest Day - we are renting a cabana and they boys are going golfing,
Thursday:
Hollywood Studios -
Friday:
Magic Kingdom

Saturday/checkout day 😭 Animal Kingdom (my family plans to fly back home on Monday - we are going to hop over to the dark side for Volcano Bay - DH's favorite park)

I bet you are asking yourself, wait when are they going to Epcot. I had originally planned on Tuesday being our Epcot day, but after much thought I think we'll just park hop over to Epcot in the evenings - unless Ratatouille is running - if that's the case we'll make our departure day our Epcot day.

Here is where I need help, I know I read somewhere that Disney isn't allowing large parties to dine together. We are a party of 9, does that mean that we can't dine together at all? I know the max reservation at most places is 8... what do we do???

Speaking of ADRs. I've come up with a short list of ADRs.
Homecomin'
Story Book Dining - Our DDs' favorite - fingers cross they open
Beaches & Cream
California Grill
Skipper Canteen
Sanaa - probably just our family
Topolino's Terrace - maybe on arrival day?
Via Napoli
Nomad Lounge - I know it isn't a TS but would love to try it out.

Okay so maybe not such a short list, but we do like to have one TS a day.

Another big question, we'll have two 13YOs with us. At what age do you let your kids go to the park on their own? They both have cell phones, I think Disney is really safe and our 13YO is really responsible. I'm thinking this might be a good chance to give her a little freedom and let the teens go to Epcot, how much trouble can they really cause?
so most places will split you up. I have done Homecomin and Via Napoli with 8 prior to the covid era and I would think they could possibly do 9 for those two restaurants.

Following Along!

We have 3 things working against me:
1. We are going in August (not their first choice), they would have rather pulled the kids out of school in May but that wouldn’t work for our family. Both our girls get super stressed when they miss too much school and have a lot of work to catch-up on. June & July are just too busy for both families. So August it is 🥵
2. The dad really wanted to stay in a 1-bedroom but our girls have really sold them on Stormalong Bay so we had stuck with YC. We talked about renting points and staying at BCVs but during these times I really don’t want to risk losing $2,000+ on a rental. Another option we consider is Riviera Resort, but that resort is excluded from the military discount.
3. COVID - I don’t think I need to explain this one.
Those are def a few tough hurtles, the last one being the biggest obviously. But I have a feeling you can do it!

Here's the thing we have park tickets but haven't made park reservations, our friends haven't linked their reservation to their Disney account. I've asked them to do it a couple of time but they don't see the rush.
Newbees are never in a rush!

Another big question, we'll have two 13YOs with us. At what age do you let your kids go to the park on their own? They both have cell phones, I think Disney is really safe and our 13YO is really responsible. I'm thinking this might be a good chance to give her a little freedom and let the teens go to Epcot, how much trouble can they really cause?
My daughter will be 13 next month. And I would def give her the options. But she probably wouldn't take us up on it just yet. But she is a shy reserved kid. So, it has a lot to do with there personalities.

I was thinking about just letting them go do a few rides at Epcot, we are staying at the Yacht Club. Maybe even HS, but that's a really far walk.

I also have find my phone on. I'm a stalker.
I know I would love this option as a 13 year old kid. Maybe someone walks with them to HS? But I feel like it's a pretty straight shot, they can't really get lost...

Saturday: We arrived around 12:30 via SW (we have lots of SW points and the Companion Pass), our friends arrive 30 minutes after we do - they fly AA. I think we'll grab some Chick-fil-a while we wait for the our friends. That was the easy decision, I'm really torn on dinner. I'm thinking we'll arrive at YC around 2PM - the kids will want to jump in the pool ASAP then we'll have dinner around 6:30. What do we do for dinner? Keep it easy and just have dinner at Ale & Compass; go fancy and head over to Topolino's Terrace? or go to Disney Springs to do some light shopping and dinner at Polite Pig?
Have been to Polite Pig? We LOVE it. And it's a good option since you don't have to make a reservation. So, you can play it by ear.

For lunch we'll head over to AKL to have lunch at Sanaa, this will be a first for us.
Sanaa is my favorite, and I actually perfer the lunch menu to the dinner menu.

And those are our meal plans - gosh that feels like such a short trip! I need more time.
ALWAYS!!!!

Which do you all prefer CRT or BoG? For our QS we'll do Peco's Bill - but I'm guessing it isn't the same, do they still have the toppings bar?
I think Peco's Bill is giving you all of the sides from the back. Our go to Table Service in MK is Skipper Canteen and would probably be good for a larger group than CRT. But I do think everyone should eat at CRT once.

Following Along!
Thanks for following
My daughter will be 13 next month. And I would def give her the options. But she probably wouldn't take us up on it just yet. But she is a shy reserved kid. So, it has a lot to do with there personalities.
Teens can be so much fun, but they grow up so fast. I remember when mine turned 13 she didn't want anything to do with makeup, but now just 3 months later she wears more makeup than me.
Our go to Table Service in MK is Skipper Canteen and would probably be good for a larger group than CRT. But I do think everyone should eat at CRT once.
I switched CRT to Skipper's Canteen, I took the time to add up the food cost and CRT would be $330 for the 4 of us, I just can't bring myself to pay that much for a meal and little character interaction. Maybe next time.

Alright friends. I need your opinion... Do we do a character breakfast on our rest day? Only options are Topolino's and Chef Mickey's.
And by breakfast I mean like the latest time possible. Or do I just let everyone relax on that day and focus on getting the 2 Beaches and Cream reservations that I'll need?

I want to mention the new Today Cafe at the entrance to Universal Studios near the Bourne Stunt Show. It is kinda new and most people seem to walk right past it... but the selection is really fresh and really very good.

Alright friends. I need your opinion... Do we do a character breakfast on our rest day? Only options are Topolino's and Chef Mickey's.
And by breakfast I mean like the latest time possible. Or do I just let everyone relax on that day and focus on getting the 2 Beaches and Cream reservations that I'll need?
I always plan a character meal on our rest day and then end up cancelling it. So, I would vote to just go with the B&C reservations. But that is just me.

I switched CRT to Skipper's Canteen, I took the time to add up the food cost and CRT would be $330 for the 4 of us, I just can't bring myself to pay that much for a meal and little character interaction. Maybe next time.
Make sure you ask for the secret menu!

For your Universal trip, are there perks (Express Pass) at Volcano Bay when staying at Royal Pacific? I know that Royal Pacific has Unlimited Express Pass for the day of check-in through the day of check-out at UO and IoA, so I would take full advantage of that, especially if you're moving to Cabana Bay after 2 nights.

For dining, I wouldn't plan anything early on a rest day. I'm not even sure I'd plan an ADR for a location other than your resort that day. If you're on the fence, booking at 60 days then canceling if you don't want it is far easier than wanting it and not having it.

Following!
Looks like you have an amazing trip planned!
I loved Topolino’s terrace when we went last year (pre-Covid)
The food was awesome, the characters are so cute and the location is just a Skyliner ride from beach club!
I think it would make a great option if your teenagers are still into characters!

For your Universal trip, are there perks (Express Pass) at Volcano Bay when staying at Royal Pacific? I know that Royal Pacific has Unlimited Express Pass for the day of check-in through the day of check-out at UO and IoA, so I would take full advantage of that, especially if you're moving to Cabana Bay after 2 nights.

For dining, I wouldn't plan anything early on a rest day. I'm not even sure I'd plan an ADR for a location other than your resort that day. If you're on the fence, booking at 60 days then canceling if you don't want it is far easier than wanting it and not having it.
The Express Pass at Volcano Bay has to be purchased, it isn't included in any of the Premium hotel benefits.

And good idea on booking just in case.
I want to mention the new Today Cafe at the entrance to Universal Studios near the Bourne Stunt Show. It is kinda new and most people seem to walk right past it... but the selection is really fresh and really very good.
Thanks for the tip, we will have to try it out. We are one of those that just walk pass.
I always plan a character meal on our rest day and then end up cancelling it. So, I would vote to just go with the B&C reservations. But that is just me.
I think I'll book it just in case, the guys are wanting to golf on that day, but us girls are just going to hang by the pool.
Following!
Looks like you have an amazing trip planned!
I loved Topolino’s terrace when we went last year (pre-Covid)
The food was awesome, the characters are so cute and the location is just a Skyliner ride from beach club!
I think it would make a great option if your teenagers are still into characters!
My teen was definitely into characters on our last visit, hoping to get one last character trip (although this might not be the best time to go for character interaction).

Hi Friends! It's been a while but I actually do have some updates.

Our travel partners finally linked their hotel reservations to their MDE :cool1::cool1::cool1:, actually she just gave me her login information and I ended up doing it because she was running into errors. But we finally have park days!

Arrival date - no park day. Our flight departs at 5:30AM - the perfect 6:55AM departure with 12:25PM arrival is gone 😭 😭 😭 . Southwest changed their schedule and our only options are 5:30/5:45AM or afternoon departure but 8+ hour travel time 😡 . DH and I decided that we didn't want to spend 8 hours traveling and would rather wake up early, but the more I think about it the less appealing a 3:30AM wake up sounds. At this point I'm also considering the Friday night 5:35PM departure, staying at MCO and sleeping in. I have a Hyatt Free Night Certificate and 4 club passes that we could use for free breakfast. That option is sounding better and better. hmmm... decisions.
On a different note, our friends are moving to the west coast this summer. DD2 is so sad, but we've already made plans for her to fly out with their Nana for a visit this summer. We are also going to discuss our 2022 M& T family vacation location during this trip. They still don't have details on the move but they will be living on the west coast by the end of July, at this point they are looking at an evening arrival or redeye. If they take the redeye, we will for sure change our flights to Friday night.

Until we have an idea of what time our friends will be arriving we aren't going to make any plans for arrival day, probably just eat dinner at the resort - looking at Ale & Compass. Maybe hitting up DS before they arrive.

Sunday - park day 1 -
Magic Kingdom - we will start and end our day at MK.
Monday - PD 2 -
Hollywood Studio - I originally had HS on Tuesday but then realized that it didn't matter what day of the week we went it was going to be super busy.
Tuesday - PD3 -
Animal Kingdom - I figured that Tuesday are less busy than Mondays, hope I'm correct. We will spend the evening at Epcot.
Wednesday - rest day. I will be trying to get us a cabana reservation, but I've been reading the BC/YC thread and those are hard to come by. I was hoping that with it being 60+4 day we would have a chance but I've read some reports of people not being able to get one for 60+4 days. ugh.
Thursday - PD 4, move to Poly -
Hollywood Studios. Eat at Ohana, Tikiman reported that Ohana will open when the hotel side opens, 🤞fingers crossed he's right. Maybe head back to Epcot, if the Epcot monorail is running. If not, we'll just enjoy the Lava pool.
Friday - PD5 -
Animal Kingdom.
Saturday - PD6 departure day -
Magic Kingdom. We originally had planned on moving over to Universal Studios for the night, but with so many trips this summer we've pretty much spent our summer travel budget, if we add a day that would cut into our Christmas ski trip budget. We have a 6:30PM departure, we will probably take an Uber to MCO. We don't want to leave at 3:30PM if we take ME.

Wednesday - rest day. I will be trying to get us a cabana reservation, but I've been reading the BC/YC thread and those are hard to come by. I was hoping that with it being 60+4 day we would have a chance but I've read some reports of people not being able to get one for 60+4 days. ugh.
Fingers Crossed for you!!! I think I want to try and get one for our trip. Of course we aren't going till Feb. 2022. I guess it makes sense that they would be hard to get. There really aren't that many of them.

Eat at Ohana, Tikiman reported that Ohana will open when the hotel side opens, 🤞fingers crossed he's right. Maybe head back to Epcot, if the Epcot monorail is running. If not, we'll just enjoy the Lava pool.
Oh!!! That is exciting news!!! (hopefully) This is one of my husband's favorite restaurants! That will be a tough call for the evening. The pool there is great!

I have a red eye (from the West Coast) that arrives at 6am to MCO and I'm also thinking that flying in the day before sounds better. :rotfl:
However, I'm flying Delta, and changing the flight would cost a lot of money, so I'm most likely sticking with the red eye that sounded better when I booked it than it does now.

If I was flying Southwest and had Hyatt credits, I would almost certainly fly in the day before and stay at Hyatt MCO upon arriving. You'd likely be better rested for your resort day and enjoy it more than you would waking up at 3:30.

Fingers Crossed for you!!! I think I want to try and get one for our trip. Of course we aren't going till Feb. 2022. I guess it makes sense that they would be hard to get. There really aren't that many of them.
I think there are only 4, I need to figure out which one to request, I mean I'll take anything that they have but I should be ready in case I have options.
I have a red eye (from the West Coast) that arrives at 6am to MCO and I'm also thinking that flying in the day before sounds better. :rotfl:
However, I'm flying Delta, and changing the flight would cost a lot of money, so I'm most likely sticking with the red eye that sounded better when I booked it than it does now.

If I was flying Southwest and had Hyatt credits, I would almost certainly fly in the day before and stay at Hyatt MCO upon arriving. You'd likely be better rested for your resort day and enjoy it more than you would waking up at 3:30.
Oh yeah, no one is going to be happy with a 3:30 wake up call.

Looks like I have some update. Turns out that our friends need to shift their dates up a day - since they just finalized their move, they can now finally book flights and it is cheaper to fly in/out on Friday.

New plan: Everyone arrive on Friday night, stay at the Hyatt and head to Disney first thing Saturday, making that our first park day. Everyone is going to be exhausted!

If you recall, we have a 5 night stay at the YC, followed by 2 nights at the Poly (new to us resort). Now that our friends are flying home on Friday this means that they have a 5 night stay then have to switch hotels for 1 night - which isn't ideal. My plan is to keep an eye on the Yacht club rooms to see if I can just extend their stay, right now Garden View rooms aren't available so we kept their 1 night Poly reservations. Thankfully it seems like Disney has brought back more CMs because I was only on hold for 15 minutes this morning.

New Park Days:
Saturday - Hollywood Studios, I would love to start at MK but looking at the calendar HS opens at 9AM vs MK's 8AM opening. I'm guessing we'll have a late morning arrival at our resort, so HS's later opening might be better, plus we could easily walk to HS vs waiting for a bus to MK. Does this sounds like a good plan? Or do you all think we should start at MK even if we get a late start? Would it be best to get a later start at MK vs HS?
Sunday - Magic Kingdom - unless you all think it's best to start on MK on Saturday.
Monday - Animal Kingdom/Epcot in the evening
Tuesday - Rest day
Wednesday - HS
Thursday - AK /MK in the evening, specially is we switch over to the Poly
Friday - MK - our friends have a departure of 1:45PM - if we can get their Poly reservation switched back to YC I will switch this day to HS and spend Wednesday at MK.
Saturday - sleep in/pool - our flight is at 6:40PM

Gosh so much depends on that Thursday night hotel reservation. I really hope something comes open soon, our 60 days will be here soon.

Last edited:
Other updates: We are less than 2 weeks away from our first trip for the summer. We will be flying the girls to their grandparents' in California for their 11 day stay. Since we had to fly them out there anyways and DH has the Southwest companion pass I decided we should spend the weekend with DH's family. We fly out late Friday night & DH and I will fly back Monday afternoon. Should be a fun quick trip for all of us. Then DH and I get 8 days kid free. Might have to plan a quick weekend getaway for us, we still have one Marriott Free Night Certificate to use. hmm... decision.

We are only 24 days away from summer trip #2. We have our plans set for Universal Studios Orlando. We are flying to Orlando Friday night, spending the night at the Hyatt then Tony will take us to Royal Pacific Resort where we will spend 4 nights. Our plan is to have Tony pick us up at 8:45, then head next door to the Orlando ITT office to buy Universal Tickets plus grab some snacks/drinks at the small Navy Exchange. We have another surprise for the girls, my cousin and her family will be joining us beginning Sunday. They have 2 boys that are pretty much the same age as our girls.

The plan:
Late Saturday morning arrival at RPR, then off to Universal Studios.
Early Sunday morning at Volcano Bay, then an evening at IoA
Monday, bright an early at IoA to hopefully get a chance to ride the Velocicoaster
Tuesday, another early start at Volcano Bay - unless the gang decides that we want to start at IoA again for Velocicoaster
Wednesday, where do you think we'll head? You guessed it, IoA for our final chance to ride Velocicoaster. We'll have Tony pick us up at 5:15PM for our 6:40PM departure.

Phew, I'm exhausted just thinking about it.

Saturday - Hollywood Studios, I would love to start at MK but looking at the calendar HS opens at 9AM vs MK's 8AM opening. I'm guessing we'll have a late morning arrival at our resort, so HS's later opening might be better, plus we could easily walk to HS vs waiting for a bus to MK. Does this sounds like a good plan? Or do you all think we should start at MK even if we get a late start? Would it be best to get a later start at MK vs HS?
That is a tough question... What are the hours for MK on Sunday? It def makes sense to do the later opening park after a late arrival night. Taking the boat or walking to HS for your first day would def be a nice way to start off the trip! It is so much nicer than trying for the bus first day. I do like to go to Magic Kingdom on our first day as well. But I think it makes sense to wait a day.

That is a tough question... What are the hours for MK on Sunday? It def makes sense to do the later opening park after a late arrival night. Taking the boat or walking to HS for your first day would def be a nice way to start off the trip! It is so much nicer than trying for the bus first day. I do like to go to Magic Kingdom on our first day as well. But I think it makes sense to wait a day.
I decided that we are going to start at Magic Kingdom... the wait times at HS are crazy long right at 9AM, so going to MK, even if we arrive an hour late is probably better than HS. I think the plan will be to be at the ME line by 7am, hopefully at YC at 8am and MK by 9AM.

I decided that we are going to start at Magic Kingdom... the wait times at HS are crazy long right at 9AM, so going to MK, even if we arrive an hour late is probably better than HS. I think the plan will be to be at the ME line by 7am, hopefully at YC at 8am and MK by 9AM.
It is true. Ever since Rise opened, waits in general for HS seem to be terrible. Magic Kingdom is the best way to start a trip, if you can!

Okay fellow Disney Lovers, I'm having trouble figuring out what to do our last 2 park days.
If you remember, we are at YC until Thursday, then we switch to the Poly. As of right now our friends are also moving but the goal is to be able to keep them at YC but the same room view isn't available (hoping it comes open). Their flight leaves at 1:45PM on Friday, which means they'll probably have to catch DME's at 10:45AM (last park day). This is my plan:
Saturday: MK
Sunday: HS
Monday: AK morning - Epcot evening
Tuesday: rest day
Wednesday: HS morning
Thursday: AK morning - MK evening
Friday: MK

I'm kind of thinking that it might just be a good idea for them to move for one night, that way they can quickly return to the Poly to catch their ride back. But moving for one night sounds like such a pain.
The other option is to switch Thursday to MK all day, then AK on Friday.
Thoughts???

Also, I want to spend one evening at AK, which day would you all go?

Okay fellow Disney Lovers, I'm having trouble figuring out what to do our last 2 park days.
If you remember, we are at YC until Thursday, then we switch to the Poly. As of right now our friends are also moving but the goal is to be able to keep them at YC but the same room view isn't available (hoping it comes open). Their flight leaves at 1:45PM on Friday, which means they'll probably have to catch DME's at 10:45AM (last park day). This is my plan:
Saturday: MK
Sunday: HS
Monday: AK morning - Epcot evening
Tuesday: rest day
Wednesday: HS morning
Thursday: AK morning - MK evening
Friday: MK

I'm kind of thinking that it might just be a good idea for them to move for one night, that way they can quickly return to the Poly to catch their ride back. But moving for one night sounds like such a pain.
The other option is to switch Thursday to MK all day, then AK on Friday.
Thoughts???

Also, I want to spend one evening at AK, which day would you all go?

I would hop to AK one of my HS days, since you have two. AK usually closes at 6 or 7p, so then you could even go to Disney Springs or Epcot once the park closes. It looks like it closes at 5 one night in June!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter