• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Settlement area questions

WeCampDisney

Mouseketeer
1) is the excellent fried chicken still available at P&J's?
2) I have friends who will be taking the boat from MK next weekend to explore the Fort a little. Which loops are the best decorated , 100, 200, 500, or 700?.
3) I know the fireworks are a no go, but what about the Electrical Water Pageant?
They have never been to the Fort, but they do have a camper.

With regards to the chicken, which by the way we loved when it was on the buffet at Trails End....
It was terrible. It was dried out and reminded me of what you get in the old elementary school cafeteria. 😞 I had been looking forward to this meal for a month knowing that our favorite restaurants were closed and wanted to capture at least a small piece of what we knew. Hope others had better luck than we did. We picked it up around 6:00pm so it shouldn't have been sitting around.
The water parade was not running in October.
It's a little early for the Christmas decorations but there might be some. We went for the day last Christmas on the 11th of December. Rented a cart for looping. There were quite a few up, but it wasn't in full decorate mode yet. That was pre Covid.
The Fort, in my opinion for what it's worth is still the best resort on property, even with the lack of things going on at WDW, but I'm sure you knew that. ;)

With regards to the chicken, which by the way we loved when it was on the buffet at Trails End....
It was terrible. It was dried out and reminded me of what you get in the old elementary school cafeteria. 😞 I had been looking forward to this meal for a month knowing that our favorite restaurants were closed and wanted to capture at least a small piece of what we knew. Hope others had better luck than we did. We picked it up around 6:00pm so it shouldn't have been sitting around.
It's a little early for the Christmas decorations but there might be some. We went for the day last Christmas on the 11th of December. Rented a cart for looping. There were quite a few up, but it wasn't in full decorate mode yet. That was pre Covid.
The Fort, in my opinion for what it's worth is still the best resort on property, even with the lack of things going on at WDW, but I'm sure you knew that. ;)
Is that true about the chicken or just a deterrent to off campus tourists from invading the FW?

I've always had good luck with the chicken in the past but didn't get it during last month's trip. The multi-piece deal with the sides was always a go-to at least once on every trip when the kids were growing up. You used to be able to get all breast pieces for a $2-3 upcharge as well.

Bama Ed

We used to go to the Fort every year but havent been since March 2019 due to budget cuts. We did notice the last trip that the sides were a tiny bit stingier than previous but we just chalked that up to odds. I hope the chicken quality stays up, if not I am going to have to write some letters to my old pal Mickey and Minnie.

I was at The Fort over Halloween weekend and the chicken was as good as always. However when I was there in August it was dry and definitely not up to standards. Definitely YMMV nowadays.

1) is the excellent fried chicken still available at P&J's?
2) I have friends who will be taking the boat from MK next weekend to explore the Fort a little. Which loops are the best decorated , 100, 200, 500, or 700?.
3) I know the fireworks are a no go, but what about the Electrical Water Pageant?
They have never been to the Fort, but they do have a camper.
Thanks for the reply guys. My friends are at Disney now. They are in Pop Century. They took the boat over to the Fort last night. They had to wait an hour on a boat. She said it was a long line so I guess they had bad luck on timing and had to wait for a second boat. Are they still running about every 20 to 30 minutes?. They did have the chicken and she said it was very good. They got there a little late so the trading post was closed. Doesn't it close at 7 or 8. And the Meadows store at 10?. One more question, are the small boats still running to the Contemporary from the Fort?

Thanks for the reply guys. My friends are at Disney now. They are in Pop Century. They took the boat over to the Fort last night. They had to wait an hour on a boat. She said it was a long line so I guess they had bad luck on timing and had to wait for a second boat. Are they still running about every 20 to 30 minutes?. They did have the chicken and she said it was very good. They got there a little late so the trading post was closed. Doesn't it close at 7 or 8. And the Meadows store at 10?. One more question, are the small boats still running to the Contemporary from the Fort?

No the small boats are not running since Covid. Disney did not want people resort hopping to start and then the issue of capacity and social distancing, makes them impractical at this point.

We were there in September. Had the chicken twice. It's always one of our favorites. That being said, since the buffet was not operating, we got our order a lot quicker. Have waited up to 40 minutes in the past but this time only a few. We thought the chicken was as good as in the past, however, the portions for the sides have been made smaller. Still love it and will get again.

Thanks for the reply guys. My friends are at Disney now. They are in Pop Century. They took the boat over to the Fort last night. They had to wait an hour on a boat. She said it was a long line so I guess they had bad luck on timing and had to wait for a second boat. Are they still running about every 20 to 30 minutes?

Well, kinda.

I learned this last month while at the Fort that there is only ONE single big boat at a time making a run back and forth between MK and FW - and that is at 50% capacity due to covid. So I am not surprised that she had to wait if there was any kind of a line. In that situation, you wait 20 minutes for the boat to leave MK and go to the Fort, a couple minutes to unload/load, then another 20 minutes to go from the Fort back to MK, then wait for the unload/load. So it very well could have taken an hour. In "normal" operations there are two or more big boats running so the wait is usually only 20-30 minutes as you thought.

We took the bus last month from the resort bus stop there at MK to FW which is less well known. Like the boat, it is a SINGLE bus running back and forth at 50% capacity but it's a direct shot (no stopping at WL) and took about 10 minutes and lets you out at the Settlement bus depot. The bus has 30 seats but the driver could only take 15 people max (no standing permitted-butts in seats only). We had to wait a few minutes for it but it was fine.

Bama Ed

PS - we took the bus to MK in the morning as well from Settlement Bus Depot. We got down to the boat dock at 8am for the 9am opening time and there was quite a line already (no boat yet). Then we walked up past HDDR/TE to the Bus Depot and only one family was waiting (less well known as I said). So we made the first bus which arrived at about 820am.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter