• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

SHADES OF GREEN at Walt Disney World Resort Information & Questions

I hope you all can help me get organized.

my hubby has a service connect disability with the VHIC card thing and we are now eligible for shades and my understanding eligible for the discounted magic your way tickets. We are planning on June 2022 so plan to make our hotel reservations at a year out here very soon.

the thing I’m stuck on is tickets. How far in advance can I buy them through shades? With these park reservations I’m worried about waiting! But like if we needed to wait until December/January?

we originally booked and still have booked an disney resort package and then learned we were eligible for shades with the disabled veterans act.

I like the Disney resort package because with the deposit you could go ahead and make your park reservations but shades and the my way tickets saves us about $500… sooo

my hubby has a service connect disability with the VHIC card thing and we are now eligible for shades and my understanding eligible for the discounted magic your way tickets. We are planning on June 2022 so plan to make our hotel reservations at a year out here very soon.

the thing I’m stuck on is tickets. How far in advance can I buy them through shades? With these park reservations I’m worried about waiting! But like if we needed to wait until December/January?

we originally booked and still have booked an disney resort package and then learned we were eligible for shades with the disabled veterans act.

I like the Disney resort package because with the deposit you could go ahead and make your park reservations but shades and the my way tickets saves us about $500… sooo
June should be available, but you should call the ticket desk to verify when you should buy them.

Edit: got it to work on desktop. App didn’t work!

Anyone else get their Boo Bash tickets and are unable to link them?

Last edited:

Edit: got it to work on desktop. App didn’t work!

Anyone else get their Boo Bash tickets and are unable to link them?
App doesn't work for a lot of things. I do all my ticket loading and reservations on my laptop. I can then access them on the App.

App doesn't work for a lot of things. I do all my ticket loading and reservations on my laptop. I can then access them on the App.
Yeah, years ago I actually had a cast member tell me to do zero planning on the app. Lol, I still try for some reason.
I guess I still have a bit of hope. :P

Historically, Disney makes their Salute offers announcement towards the end of September. Shades should get the tickets shortly afterwards and they'll FedEx them to you once your order is confirmed.

What I recommend is signing up for Steve's newsletter which he sends out once a month and, with big news like this you'll get an email. He is always the first to announce the Salute Tickets in my experience https://www.militarydisneytips.com/blog/

Does anyone have any recent experience with checking in early and room was ready?

(That was our experience last August but guessing not so much now?)

Edited to add: Our room wasn't ready until check-in time.

If anyone has any questions or wants me to check anything out, please let me know!

Last edited:
Looking at staying in early December. Surprised to see all rooms books. Haven't been in a few years. Didn't remember having to book so far out. Guess Covid changed lots of things. Is this the normal now?

Looking at staying in early December. Surprised to see all rooms books. Haven't been in a few years. Didn't remember having to book so far out. Guess Covid changed lots of things. Is this the normal now?

I don't believe the full resort is open yet. I've been trying to book rooms the beginning of November for a few months but everything is booked. Hoping they fully reopen all the rooms soon.

I don't believe the full resort is open yet. I've been trying to book rooms the beginning of November for a few months but everything is booked. Hoping they fully reopen all the rooms soon.
I agree about the resort likely not being fully open yet.
We just stayed there 4 nights last week and, while there are a lot more people than last summer when we stayed 1 night or when we popped in to buy tickets in February, it doesn't feel "full" at this time.

For those looking for dates, I recommend leaving a tab open if you're online and periodically refresh that screen. I struggled for a couple of months to get my June nights, but that's how I finally nabbed my days. Things do open, but they seem to go quick right now due to limited availability.

I have a few questions. I will call the resort on Tuesday when I assume they will reopen. My niece may be dancing at Disney April 2022. She will know for sure in August.

Today I went to book 2 rooms, one my me and my DH and one for my parents but I have questions.
1. Is there a way on the website to increase the room count to 1? Or do I have to book each room individually?
2. Two of the days during the week we need to go are already sold out. Do you recommend I book up until the sell out and then book after the sell out?
3. Will Shades help us find a resort to stay at when they are sold out?

Thanks for any help. I am a bit out of practice with Disney planning but know this is the first step. 2nd will be to get tickets and link them so we can go to the parks, but, I want to ensure she is going first.

Thanks.

I have a few questions. I will call the resort on Tuesday when I assume they will reopen. My niece may be dancing at Disney April 2022. She will know for sure in August.

Today I went to book 2 rooms, one my me and my DH and one for my parents but I have questions.
1. Is there a way on the website to increase the room count to 1? Or do I have to book each room individually?
2. Two of the days during the week we need to go are already sold out. Do you recommend I book up until the sell out and then book after the sell out?
3. Will Shades help us find a resort to stay at when they are sold out?

Thanks for any help. I am a bit out of practice with Disney planning but know this is the first step. 2nd will be to get tickets and link them so we can go to the parks, but, I want to ensure she is going first.

Thanks.
#1. I've always had to book them one at a time. But if you call they'll book together, we've done that in the past. Then I think we were able to modify/cancel online as needed (eta - we may have had to call for these, I can't remember for sure - those rooms we booked for others who canceled were in 2018. If you book online, you can modify online). They will charge you one night for each room when you book.

#2. What I have done is book the days I could get and then kept checking for openings (this was most recently in April 2021 I started checking for June 2021 and days do open up). Days eventually opened up and then I modified our reservation online. If your dates fall during spring break, it might be helpful to call. I'm not sure but I thought I read somewhere on the boards they'll have a waitlist. Also, I'm not sure the resort is open to capacity yet (we stayed there last week of June and it wasn't as "full" as it normally is even though it was sold out), so the online bookings might be reflecting that right now.

#3. I've never encountered or asked, if they're booked, I go directly with Disney.

ETA: If you're open to splitting your stay with another resort, if your trip does fall during spring break, I'd book a separate refundable reservation for the days Shades is booked, just in case since things do sell out during busy times.

Last edited:
#1. I've always had to book them one at a time. But if you call they'll book together, we've done that in the past. Then I think we were able to modify/cancel online as needed (eta - we may have had to call for these, I can't remember for sure - those rooms we booked for others who canceled were in 2018. If you book online, you can modify online). They will charge you one night for each room when you book.

#2. What I have done is book the days I could get and then kept checking for openings (this was most recently in April 2021 I started checking for June 2021 and days do open up). Days eventually opened up and then I modified our reservation online. If your dates fall during spring break, it might be helpful to call. I'm not sure but I thought I read somewhere on the boards they'll have a waitlist. Also, I'm not sure the resort is open to capacity yet (we stayed there last week of June and it wasn't as "full" as it normally is even though it was sold out), so the online bookings might be reflecting that right now.

#3. I've never encountered or asked, if they're booked, I go directly with Disney.

ETA: If you're open to splitting your stay with another resort, if your trip does fall during spring break, I'd book a separate refundable reservation for the days Shades is booked, just in case since things do sell out during busy times.

Thanks Leigh. If I book directly with Disney is there a military discount?

Thanks Leigh. If I book directly with Disney is there a military discount?
It depends on what inventory is available, they only offer a certain amount of discounted rooms. In general, yes.

Disney usually announces its Salute discounts for the following year towards the end of September if they plan to give one (they usually do).

If you go to militarydisneytips.com, Steve usually is the first to announce, if you sign up for the newsletter you'll get an email.

Shades of green is not included in the new early entry Benifit starting October 1st:

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/guest-services/early-entry/
I think we may see shades not be included in as many perks as before.
We have switched to a Disney resort. May not seem worth it to some, but we are early risers and this benifit is important to us and our trip.

This is both disappointing, and a bit strange since SOG has always enjoyed early entry. The Dolphin, and Swan were also excluded from early entry, yet various 'good neighbor' hotels like Hilton and Holiday Inn are eligible for this perk. I am wondering if there was some sort of monetary arrangement required by Disney for these resorts to participate in the early entry benefit. I do hope Disney reconsiders.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter