• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

SHADES OF GREEN at Walt Disney World Resort Information & Questions

To my recollection you can't check in early and get a room assigned and a key. You can leave your luggage with bell services and head off to the parks, but you'd have to check in and get your room and room key after you get back. I don't have an answer for you on the groceries since we've not done that at SoG. The coffee pots are not Keurig I know, but I can't remember for sure which style they are.

To my recollection you can't check in early and get a room assigned and a key. You can leave your luggage with bell services and head off to the parks, but you'd have to check in and get your room and room key after you get back. I don't have an answer for you on the groceries since we've not done that at SoG. The coffee pots are not Keurig I know, but I can't remember for sure which style they are.
Pre-Covid we have checked in as early as 930 and our room has been ready. In 7 trips, our room has been ready by noon all except for two times. We left our luggage in our car and grabbed it when we got back from the park or DS and got our key.

Pre-Covid we have checked in as early as 930 and our room has been ready. In 7 trips, our room has been ready by noon all except for two times. We left our luggage in our car and grabbed it when we got back from the park or DS and got our key.
Oh that’s good to know! I know things are different after Covid but we are going next fall so hopefully by then it will be a lot better.

We have never stayed at SOG and always have checked into the resorts after our room was ready. We are thinking of arriving early so it's unlikely our rooms will be ready. Can we check in early in the day, go to the park and come back later that evening directly to our room? Also, can we leave our luggage with bell services? I really don't know how that works at all. And I see from above that people do order groceries. Do you need to be there to accept them? Or does bell services hold on to them for you? One last question - what type of coffee pot do the rooms have?
You probably can't, likely the room won't be ready, but you could ask. We've not been able to on some trips where our arrival time was before check in. We have (prior to last year pre-Covid issues) been able to leave luggage with bell services. I would check and ask for the bell services number to see if they are still able to do that I'd bet that's fine. When we did grocery order, yes we had to meet them up front, another time we took a Tiffany town car and they stopped us at the grocery store on the way. Coffee in the room, I don't do so I don't remember. I always go to the cafe up front in the lobby, but warning allow time. You never know if you are going to be only two people in line, 10 minutes, or the two people in line are ordering 6 specialty coffees or more for their party, it's a gamble. I allow my time and get up before everyone else anyway especially traveling, no stress.

I’m having trouble linking a SOG reservation to my MDE account. The SOG room is under my son’s name, and after I type the reservation # and his last name in, it’s saying the reservation is not found.

Shouldn’t I be able to link it? Or do I need to call SOG or Disney IT?

I’m having trouble linking a SOG reservation to my MDE account. The SOG room is under my son’s name, and after I type the reservation # and his last name in, it’s saying the reservation is not found.

Shouldn’t I be able to link it? Or do I need to call SOG or Disney IT?

How long ago was the reservation made? It takes a day or so for it to update so you can add it to your MDE account after you have made the reservation.

Staying at SOG 12/6 & 12/7, getting our tickets from a base, can the tickets be added to existing or new magic bands? Pros or cons to having magic bands versus actual tickets?

Staying at SOG 12/6 & 12/7, getting our tickets from a base, can the tickets be added to existing or new magic bands? Pros or cons to having magic bands versus actual tickets?

Yes, the ticket vouchers from the base can be added to your MDE account, and the base purchased tickets will work with any active magic bands also connected to your MDE account. We have been using the same magic bands for years. Only thing with the base ticket vouchers is that when you get to Disney, you will need to go to guest relations at the park and have them activated before you can use them.

Pros/Cons is a personal preference, but I prefer the bands because they are easier to keep track of and I am not having to go into my wallet to pull out the card each time I need to scan in to either a park or when using a fast pass (assuming Disney Genie+ will scan the same as the old fast pass, but haven't had personal experience yet).

And for those who have young (or older) children with them, stopped my having to ask "you got your tickets?" before we headed to the parks each day. I can look at their arms and see if they have their tickets with them :)

Yes, the ticket vouchers from the base can be added to your MDE account, and the base purchased tickets will work with any active magic bands also connected to your MDE account. We have been using the same magic bands for years. Only thing with the base ticket vouchers is that when you get to Disney, you will need to go to guest relations at the park and have them activated before you can use them.

Pros/Cons is a personal preference, but I prefer the bands because they are easier to keep track of and I am not having to go into my wallet to pull out the card each time I need to scan in to either a park or when using a fast pass (assuming Disney Genie+ will scan the same as the old fast pass, but haven't had personal experience yet).

And for those who have young (or older) children with them, stopped my having to ask "you got your tickets?" before we headed to the parks each day. I can look at their arms and see if they have their tickets with them :)
Great, thank you for the information!

Does anyone know since we are staying at SoG, do we get to park for free at the parks?

Thinking of doing MK to AK to Disney Springs, and trying to figure out the best way to make this work.

Does anyone know since we are staying at SoG, do we get to park for free at the parks?

Thinking of doing MK to AK to Disney Springs, and trying to figure out the best way to make this work.

No, you will have to pay the WDW parking in addition to the SOG parking fee at the hotel. However, you only have to pay the WDW parking once per day, so it would cover both MK and AK.

It hasn't been free for several years, probably at least 10 now. We park at SOG and use SOG and WDW transportation. MK to AK is via bus. Then AK to DS can be done via bus starting at 4 pm. Prior to that, you'd have to take a bus from AK to a resort and then a bus to DS. Check the transportation board also.

I just switched from POR to SOG and am excited to try it out! We've been to Disney many times but have always stayed at Disney Resorts.

My plan is to walk to the Poly and use their transportation for most of the trip (we'll have a car and will use that for AK and DS, and my kids are all over 11 so no little legs struggling to keep up). Is the path well lit at night? I looked up photos and now I have an irrational fear that an alligator is going to leap out of the water by the gate. Lol!

About how long do you think the walk is from SOG to the TTC? When we've stayed at the Poly previously we always walked to get the Epcot monorail at the TTC but I don't remember how long that walk was. What about the walk to the MK if you go from the Poly to the GF and use the new walkway? I'm guessing that's quite the hike, but my daughter and I like to walk so we might attempt it just to say we did it.

Are there any dining options at SOG that you feel are must-dos? We have budgeted to eat a Disney TS and CS everyday, but if there's something really great at Shades I'd be happy to save some money and drop an ADR.

Thanks!

I just switched from POR to SOG and am excited to try it out! We've been to Disney many times but have always stayed at Disney Resorts.

My plan is to walk to the Poly and use their transportation for most of the trip (we'll have a car and will use that for AK and DS, and my kids are all over 11 so no little legs struggling to keep up). Is the path well lit at night? I looked up photos and now I have an irrational fear that an alligator is going to leap out of the water by the gate. Lol!

About how long do you think the walk is from SOG to the TTC? When we've stayed at the Poly previously we always walked to get the Epcot monorail at the TTC but I don't remember how long that walk was. What about the walk to the MK if you go from the Poly to the GF and use the new walkway? I'm guessing that's quite the hike, but my daughter and I like to walk so we might attempt it just to say we did it.

Are there any dining options at SOG that you feel are must-dos? We have budgeted to eat a Disney TS and CS everyday, but if there's something really great at Shades I'd be happy to save some money and drop an ADR.

Thanks!

I've done the walk from Shades to the TTC, and also from Shades to the MK (via Poly/Grand Floridian). I can't remember timings, but I'd say TTC was 15 min and MK 25-30? That's a really vague recollection though. I'm a walker, so I enjoyed both and also just having the feeling of purpose in walking vs waiting on transport. I also frequently pop over to the Poly for a Dole Whip. I wouldn't worry too much about the pathway and gators. They do have it lit at night (including ground lights, if I recall), and there's also a bigger light by the gate as the security guard has to check your resort ID on the way in. I've never seen a gator on Shades' property (aside from little Shady who used to live in one of the ponds behind the hotel, and I haven't seen him since...2017?).

Food wise, I think the breakfast buffet at the Garden Gallery is always worth at least one visit. I stuff myself full from the omelette station, plus cinnamon rolls and other assorted goodies. And it's SO CHEAP, especially compared to Disney prices. We also really enjoy getting food to go from Evergreen and Bistro to Go. We've never ate at Mangino's, although their menu looks good too. We are daily visitors to the ice cream bar in the lobby though (in addition to the above mentioned Dole Whip...) :D

Remember with the car you will need to pay for parking at both Shades and the parks (unless you have an annual pass).

Thanks!

Yeah, I'd agree with @livbeatles on the time to walk. I've not done the GF walking trail, but 15-20 to get to TTC sounds about right from SoG to TTC. I always found the walkway to be adequately lit. It's not doused in flood lights or anything, but certainly ample to see. I've never really worried about gators there although I did see one on property several years ago that was near the pond that is off to the side of the walkway to the Poly. He was small and just floating around in the pond, so certainly nothing that concerned me.

The food at SoG is nothing special, but it's certainly as good as many restaurants that are Disney owned and operated. We like the breakfast buffet the most. Not only is it good with a decent variety, but the cost can't be beat versus Disney prices.

The Italian place it just ok in my opinion. My kids actually really like Evergreens which is the sports bar near the pool and they have decent type of bar food there. Again much better pricing than you will find on regular Disney dining. I hope you'll really enjoy SoG. It's our favorite resort regardless of the outstanding prices. I just think it's so pretty and relaxed there. We love it.

Does anyone have any experience checking into SOG very late, say after 10pm after you’ve spent the day in the parks? Or is it better to check in very early, like 7am (i know our room wont be ready then)? We’ll be coming from Universal, and would like to take advantage of morning extra magic hours on our arrival day, and be AT HS by 8am.

I’m trying to decide if it’s better to drive from Universal to HS and park the car there, then drive to Epcot when we hop, then drive to SOG at the end of our day And check in. We’d leave our luggage in the car.

OR is it better to get to SOG around 7am, check-in & leave the car, then catch Disney transportation to HS, spend the day in the parks and pick up room key at the end of of the day?

If we check in very late, would we run the risk of losing our junior suite?

Thanks,

Does anyone have any experience checking into SOG very late, say after 10pm after you’ve spent the day in the parks? Or is it better to check in very early, like 7am (i know our room wont be ready then)? We’ll be coming from Universal, and would like to take advantage of morning extra magic hours on our arrival day, and be AT HS by 8am.

I’m trying to decide if it’s better to drive from Universal to HS and park the car there, then drive to Epcot when we hop, then drive to SOG at the end of our day And check in. We’d leave our luggage in the car.

OR is it better to get to SOG around 7am, check-in & leave the car, then catch Disney transportation to HS, spend the day in the parks and pick up room key at the end of of the day?

If we check in very late, would we run the risk of losing our junior suite?

Thanks,

I would probably opt to leave your car at SOG and use the Disney transportation to avoid having to pay the parking fees at the Park and the hike from the parking lots. And when you hop from HS to Epcot, you can grab the Sky Liner. And then the monorail back to TTC from Epcot, grabbing the SOG bus from the TTC to get back at the end of the evening.

The one time we had to check in late because of a delayed flight, we contacted the front desk ahead of time and let them know when to expect us. I would be surprised if they gave away your room just because you are checking in late.

Parking at Shades was $15 a night when we were there last week. We took the SOG bus a few times but mostly walked to Poly, it was more convenient to take the monorail with two strollers than to fold them up on the bus. The walk wasn't bad, I was fine walking back by myself after dark the time I walked back by myself. We did see a small alligator on Shades property, it was in the lake the first time we saw it and on the far side of the lake, in the grass the second time (both times during the day). The path was lit enough at night so I could see.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter