• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

SHADES OF GREEN at Walt Disney World Resort Information & Questions

Just booked our first shades stay for June. It's a quick three night, adult only thing. However if we like our stay we may plan to bring the whole crew for a longer trip.
It's a really great resort for both couples and family. The icecream bar at night!!! I usually go to the poly to get any where plus i love it across the the street and then stroll to grand FL

I’ve got a question that was alluded to a few pages back. If a retired military member bought salute tickets for my family (3 of us) from shades of green directly that were already activated when delivered, is there anything preventing us from using them even though we wouldn’t be traveling with the retired member? As an aside, my spouse is also eligible to purchase tickets/stay at shades of green, but not eligible for the salute tickets. We are traveling there in August.

Thanks!

Email from SOG today.

Dear Guest,

As you know, there are always exciting things happening around Walt Disney World Resort, and we want to keep you updated on the latest developments.

Starting Monday, May 1, 2023, the World Drive Expansion Project will begin between Shades of Green and the Grand Floridian Resort. We know that it's a lovely stroll on the walkway from our hotel to the Polynesian Village Resort; unfortunately, it will no longer be accessible.

But don't worry; we've got your back! We're adding extra buses to the Transportation and Ticket Center route, so you can still easily get to your destination. And the best part? It's totally free!

If you prefer to use your own vehicle, you can still do so, but please note that you will be responsible for the parking fee at the theme parks. Alternatively, you could use a ride-sharing service like Uber, Lyft, or the Minnie Van™ service-connected by Lyft - all available within the Walt Disney World Resort.

We understand that change can be tough, but we hope you'll bear with us as we work to make things even better for you. We're always here to help and make your stay as magical as possible.
Sincerely,
Shades of Green Staff

Email from SOG today.

Dear Guest,

As you know, there are always exciting things happening around Walt Disney World Resort, and we want to keep you updated on the latest developments.

Starting Monday, May 1, 2023, the World Drive Expansion Project will begin between Shades of Green and the Grand Floridian Resort. We know that it's a lovely stroll on the walkway from our hotel to the Polynesian Village Resort; unfortunately, it will no longer be accessible.

But don't worry; we've got your back! We're adding extra buses to the Transportation and Ticket Center route, so you can still easily get to your destination. And the best part? It's totally free!

If you prefer to use your own vehicle, you can still do so, but please note that you will be responsible for the parking fee at the theme parks. Alternatively, you could use a ride-sharing service like Uber, Lyft, or the Minnie Van™ service-connected by Lyft - all available within the Walt Disney World Resort.

We understand that change can be tough, but we hope you'll bear with us as we work to make things even better for you. We're always here to help and make your stay as magical as possible.
Sincerely,
Shades of Green Staff

I was just coming here to see if anyone knew how long this construction was expected to take? We arrive June 1, so I'm hoping less than a month! My DH is happy to grab Shades busses cause he's not a rope dropper by choice, but I really like the walk to the Poly for the earliest possible start . . .

I was just coming here to see if anyone knew how long this construction was expected to take? We arrive June 1, so I'm hoping less than a month! My DH is happy to grab Shades busses cause he's not a rope dropper by choice, but I really like the walk to the Poly for the earliest possible start . . .
Same!! It's such a nice walk in the morning too :) DH will come with me sometimes but my eldest DD will always meet me at MK during our Halloween trips.

Unfortunately, I suspect it'll affect your trip and ours too. We go toward the end of June (and I'm guessing that's why we got the email.)

Fingers crossed!

Same!! It's such a nice walk in the morning too :) DH will come with me sometimes but my eldest DD will always meet me at MK during our Halloween trips.

Unfortunately, I suspect it'll affect your trip and ours too. We go toward the end of June (and I'm guessing that's why we got the email.)

Fingers crossed!

Especially with the sunrise and the mist that comes off the pond . . . Darn, now I really am bummed! I submitted a question through the website asking if there were any estimates. I guess we'll see. The extra busses to the TTC will be helpful, but I liked grabbing the earliest AK and HS busses from Poly because they don't stop at both parks like SOG busses do.

From the comments on the SoG Facebook page, this sounds like it will be a permanent change. 😭
Oh no, that would stink. Was this speculation or addition info? I don't have a FB so can't always see stuff.

(DH and I were talking about the email and wondering if it maybe had to do with new DVC tower at Poly?)

I was able to see a good number of comments without logging into FB and saw where SOG staff said several times responding to people that it's a permanent change :(

@brockash
(In case you didn't see today's comments in this thread.)

Especially with the sunrise and the mist that comes off the pond . . . Darn, now I really am bummed! I submitted a question through the website asking if there were any estimates. I guess we'll see. The extra busses to the TTC will be helpful, but I liked grabbing the earliest AK and HS busses from Poly because they don't stop at both parks like SOG busses do.
I wonder if demand will be enough they give AK and DHS their own busses?

I'm so irritated by this change, but oh well. I mean what am I gonna do?! We are staying at shades for the first time this June just hubby and I. It is a bit of a test run to see if we wanna bring the kids there. Price compared is Pop century which we have stayed at.

Unfortunately, I think the walkway closure is a dealbreaker for DH and I staying at SOG and I am heartbroken. We both are disabled and use scooters. The walkway was what enabled us to travel freely between the resorts and 2 of the 4 parks (Epcot via TTC from Poly and MK through GF). The buses at Shades only come once an hour, and any time we have EVER tried to use them, we've been split up or left stranded for an hour. That is completely unacceptable. So we have always chosen disney buses and motored between the Poly and Shades to catch them. This completely cuts off our access to Disney as we know it. If Shades does not rectify the bus situation and send at minimum 2 every hour, this is just not sustainable for their disabled guests. And honestly, based on a few situations I've had happen in the past, I doubt they will be concerned about us few who actually *need* the assistance. It may not be their choice to close the walkway, but the effect is heartbreaking to me.

I was able to see a good number of comments without logging into FB and saw where SOG staff said several times responding to people that it's a permanent change :(

@brockash
(In case you didn't see today's comments in this thread.)
Thank you for the info. That really stinks. We found the buses at Shades a lil rough (so much so we only used them twice for a week trip- we walked to Pily to catch their buses after) and hate having to dig out our ids and lil paper showing we're a guest, so not having the walkway or access to the Poly is a huge downfall for Shades in our opinion.

I wonder if demand will be enough they give AK and DHS their own busses?
I certainly hope they would, but not holding my breath. The other issue for early rope droppers is that generally they don't start their transportation as early as the Disney buses so you're going to be behind the first bus runs of the morning.

Based on the facebook comments, it sounds like this was a Disney decision and Shades didn't have a say in it at all. So I guess all they can do is add busses to make up the difference. My DH usually uses a scooter at Disney too - his active duty time did a number on his feet, knees, and back leaving him unable to walk long periods of time or distance so we liked the monorail option. It sounds like they're making it a 4 late road and are going to block access because crossing it won't be safe. I wish they'd do a pedestrian bridge, but I'd be surprised if Disney put the money out for that.

Yep, the SoG staff confirmed it is a permanent change, and that really stinks, but what can you do? Like many of you, we made use of that pathway many times in past trips. Last time it was just too dang hot though so we used Ubers for most of the trip and skipped the Shades busses unless it just happened to be timed where we were trying to go. Not sure how scooter friendly that option is though. I have an upcoming booking in September that I’m waffling over as it is.

So there's no way to get to the poly now from SOG? That was one of the biggest perks of staying there. I walked that literally every morning and often for dinner on our trip - to get to Ohana, more bfast options and monorail. This is a huge bummer, restaurant options at Shades is sorely lacking (especially because I have to eat GF) and the poly really helped with that.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter