shadow all fonts using Gypsy?

angelmom

Mouseketeer<br><font color=green>Those brads were
Using the gypsy can you make shadows for all fonts and welded words? Or just those that have shadows on the original cartridge? If the original cartridge has shadows can you then weld the word and stretch it and still have a shadow for it? Does this make any sense:confused:

I've made shadows for welded words where the font has a shadow. It's where the 2nd page on the Gypsy comes in handy because it shows you a light version of the original on that page and you can lay it over the shadow you are working with to adjust it to fit properly.

I haven't tried it with a font that doesn't have the shadow feature, but I'm thinking it would work.

Does the gypsy work differently than CDS? I have found that a lot of the images without shadows just will not shadow correctly no matter how much I play around with it. SCAL is much better at creating shadows.

I just played around with my Gypsy trying to make a shadow for a font that doesn't have one and I couldn't get it to line up correctly at all. That's not saying it won't do it as I'm still learning my Gypsy.

Susan, I've never used SCAL, but I'm finding the Gypsy so much easier to use than CDS. I never could get the hang of things in CDS.

I just played around with my Gypsy trying to make a shadow for a font that doesn't have one and I couldn't get it to line up correctly at all. That's not saying it won't do it as I'm still learning my Gypsy.

Susan, I've never used SCAL, but I'm finding the Gypsy so much easier to use than CDS. I never could get the hang of things in CDS.

This is has been my experience too in CDS with fonts that don't have a shadow.

SCAL and the gypsy/CDS are just different things. I would like gypsy or CDS to be as user friendly as SCAL and be able to do the things that SCAL can do and I find it continuingly frustrating that it is just not the case.

Sorry for hijacking your thread angelmom!

No problem Susan. Do you think the Gypsy is worth getting? I would like to be able to weld and not use the computer. I already have a wishblade so I would like something portable.

Does the gypsy work differently than CDS? I have found that a lot of the images without shadows just will not shadow correctly no matter how much I play around with it. SCAL is much better at creating shadows.

Ditto! It just won't work if it doesn't have a shadow. I love love love SCAL for that reason, you can pretty much shadow ANYTHING!

No problem Susan. Do you think the Gypsy is worth getting? I would like to be able to weld and not use the computer. I already have a wishblade so I would like something portable.

I don't have the Gypsy, so I think someone else should answer. As much as I hate CDS for its failings, it does make life easier with the things it can do. When I didn't have my computer, I missed CDS.

If you like to weld words, and want a shadow, SCAL is the way to go. You can download more fonts than you could ever possibly use (all for free!) and have a shadow with a click of a button. You can create multiple shadows in varying sizes too. You can make a blackout shadow - -all with one click. I haven't learned how to make my own paper piecings and it is still worth every penny. However, it is not very portable. You do need the computer.

angelmom said:

The gypsy is worth ever penny!!! If you check out YouTube and search gypsy shadowing you will find some great how to videos. Also check out the discussion boards at cricut.com the ladies there are great at answering all your questions.

I tried to make a shadow for the Pooh Wood-font with the Gypsy and absolutely nothing I did could make it work and have it look normal.

SCAL and the gypsy/CDS are just different things. I would like gypsy or CDS to be as user friendly as SCAL and be able to do the things that SCAL can do and I find it continuingly frustrating that it is just not the case.

That is exactly how I feel! I have the gypsy, but not CDS, and the gypsy is even less versatile than CDS. I got a great deal on ebay, so I don't regret it, but if I had paid full price I would have been very upset at how little the Gypsy can really do. SCAL totally spoils you for all other programs. Every time I use it, I am reminded how much I :lovestruc it.

I used both a few days ago working on a swap. The gypsy is nice, but working with it is by no means quick. I pulled an SVG file into SCAL, did my work, and had a completed assembled paper piecing in less than 5 minutes. It would have taken me easily triple that just to get my pieces where I wanted them on the gypsy screen.

But I admit, I have used the Gypsy "on the go" to do some designing. And for crops, it will eliminate having to bring cartridges. So, if portability is important to you, then you might find it worthwhile (but hopefully only at a good price!)

I've gotten fairly adept at using CDS, but there are things that are ridiculously hard to do in CDS. You can copy and paste using hide selected contour. Using the right click button on an image doesn't do anywhere near what it should, etc., etc. However, the Gypsy completely stymies me! It's far too small, for one thing (but that could be my old eyes!), and it just doesn't "flow" for me.

If I had to choose just one, I'd say SCAL is the best way to go, especially since I figured out an easy way to use um, other...images. ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter