Share your "small joys" of cruising!

I thought of another....Late night, getting back to the room with the low lighting and that comfy bed waiting. But first, I always have to go sit out on the veranda, even if its for 5 minutes. I just love the sound of the ocean as we are sailing through it.

Also, as others have mentioned the smell, especially of the cleaner they use, mostly now on CC. Where else can you walk into a public bathroom, take a deep sniff in and say, "ahhh, I love that smell!" :laughing: The MDRs seem to have a distinct smell too, sort of a cross between food and air conditioning.

It's all about the ocean for us. The sight, smell, sound and motion of the ocean.
And I am happy for those who suffer from motion sickness that stabilizers on ships have made even the roughest seas feel smooth, but my last cruise was too smooth. Never felt like I was on a ship.
Mind you, my first cruise was on a small ship, 650 passenger ship built in 1957 without stabilizers. My favorite times on that cruise were when you could stand in the hall and watch the other end of the hall rise and fall in rough seas.
I agree! We have had cruises where I never would have known I was on a ship. Once Captain Henry even told us he felt like he was sailing on a lake. I like a little rocking. ;)

Ok, my important takeaway from this thread: try the oatmeal at Cabanas! Thanks for the tip @brentm77 and @ambula603 !!

I was thinking the same thing! :thumbsup2

Getting out of the shower and seeing dh immersed in a Disney animated classic with one of the kids. He never relaxes like that at home but does on dcl every day!

Embarkation day when your luggage shows up and you unpack.

Cove cafe lattes with white chocolate cranberry bars.

Getting a lounger in front of a window and sitting on it for about an hour.

Going to guest services to ask if they have our lost item. Like magic, they always do!! (Knock on wood).

Spending time each night sitting outside in the dark just listening to the water.
Watching the sunrise.
Reading somewhere quiet very late at night with no Guests around.
And of course the smiles on Guests faces when they see the characters ☺️

Seeing @Mags2002 comment on here reminds me of one additional small joy of being on any DCL ship and that is in general the crew and cast of the ship.

There have been some rare sailings with staff not being that great - majority actually all on one sailing in multiple areas of the ship but otherwise we have had great staff.

Entertainment CMs, to Princess CMs, to Peter Pan taking really cool photos with my oldest son on one sailing to randomly having Sports Goofy "ruin" 🤪 our game of shuffleboard on Deck 4 by deciding to play with us for a few shots - which was also very cool and impromptu. He was gracious enough to also take a few pics with us as well.

To many of the amazing bartending staff around the ships as well as the MDR staff - many of whom we now request and see on subsequent sailings or have connected with on facebook and keep in touch with them there.

There are also fantastic photography staff - such as DeeDee from the Phillipines whom we have seen on at least 4 cruises since the restart and each time she gets us a unique/private shot of something we may not even have known to request and those photos turn out great and are displayed proudly on walls at home. I could go on and on but honestly, that is one of the additional joys of cruising DCL for us.

Even just reading this thread has given me a little boost of joy!

As well as some of the things already mentioned the cruise I took with my son (6) where he spent days just happily splashing about in the little pool (despite being just off the south coast of England and it was rather chilly!!).
Being able to have a safe and easy holiday with my son - we went to San Francisco and Anaheim last summer and it was a struggle trying to do stuff, even Disneyland! DCL is just so stress free!

Seeing @Mags2002 comment on here reminds me of one additional small joy of being on any DCL ship and that is in general the crew and cast of the ship.

There have been some rare sailings with staff not being that great - majority actually all on one sailing in multiple areas of the ship but otherwise we have had great staff.

Entertainment CMs, to Princess CMs, to Peter Pan taking really cool photos with my oldest son on one sailing to randomly having Sports Goofy "ruin" 🤪 our game of shuffleboard on Deck 4 by deciding to play with us for a few shots - which was also very cool and impromptu. He was gracious enough to also take a few pics with us as well.

To many of the amazing bartending staff around the ships as well as the MDR staff - many of whom we now request and see on subsequent sailings or have connected with on facebook and keep in touch with them there.

There are also fantastic photography staff - such as DeeDee from the Phillipines whom we have seen on at least 4 cruises since the restart and each time she gets us a unique/private shot of something we may not even have known to request and those photos turn out great and are displayed proudly on walls at home. I could go on and on but honestly, that is one of the additional joys of cruising DCL for us.
Aww!! There are thousands of Cast and Crew Members who would feel so happy to know they are someone’s small joy of cruising 💙

Ok, my important takeaway from this thread: try the oatmeal at Cabanas! Thanks for the tip @brentm77 and @ambula603 !!
I had to laugh when I saw that oatmeal at Cabanas was one of the joys of cruising. I have plain oatmeal almost every day at home, but their plain oatmeal is definitely better than mine. Plus I get to put on all those extra toppings (walnuts, cranberries etc.) when I get it at Cabanas!

Hey all! I would looove to hear some of your favourite small joys while cruising with DCL.

There are, of course, many big (and/or medium)-sized fun that is more scheduled- immersing myself in the shows, saying hello to favourite characters, indulging in the many dining options, trying my hand at trivia and crafts...

But what are the small joys that you cherish and look forward to, or moments that you love to soak up? I have only done a handful cruises, so am still learning mine, but I would start with:
  • reading a good, fluffy book out on deck
  • ordering room service and having a lunch/snack while watching an animated classic film on the TV
  • the towel animals :)
  • taking time to just walk through the hallways to look at all the decorated doors (and maybe leave a surprise birthday or congrats card or two where applicable)
  • on the last night, going on a midnight stroll around the open decks- it's always so quiet and a great way to soak up some of the final moments of peace and magic
Some of your small joys might overlap with the bigger, scheduled fun, which works too!
Having coffee delivered from room service as soon as you wake up.

We've only cruised once, but:

-Comfy bed and waves = best sleep I've ever had on vacation
-Getting to have solo, family, and adult time all in one day
-Seeing my kid run around the ship with the new friends he met at the Edge
-Interacting with different CMs around the ship from around the world
-Doing a tour of different decks just me and my son to check out all the door decorations
-Yes, the oatmeal with fancier-than-home toppings!
-Forced break from electronics for the whole family
-Not thinking about money during vacation because I already pre-paid everything
-Watching the morning show
-Watching the ship dock from our porthole (soon to be from our verandah on the next cruise)
-Seeing how much my DH enjoys interacting with Goofy
-Having my DS excitedly point out every character he knows I like
-Seeing my DH (who usually doesn't go for souvenirs) pick out 3 items from the (gift shop)
-Early morning walks on deck

Also taking notes for my next cruise when we will (for the first time):
-Order room service
-Check out Cove Cafe pastries
-Hopefully read a book (there was too much scenery/too chilly on our Alaskan cruise to do this

Going for a morning run around deck 4 then popping into Cove Cafe for takeaway coffee to enjoy on our stateroom balcony.

Learning fun facts about the ships on the art tours.

Having the same servers every night who get to know us and our preferences.

Seeing Disney characters at random whilst wandering around the ships.

Midship Detective Agency.

Going for a morning run around deck 4 then popping into Cove Cafe for takeaway coffee to enjoy on our stateroom balcony.

Learning fun facts about the ships on the art tours.

Having the same servers every night who get to know us and our preferences.

Seeing Disney characters at random whilst wandering around the ships.

Midship Detective Agency.
👍 Art of the Theme Ship Tour - I have never looked at the paintings the same way since.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter