Shared, genderless restrooms

After all the hype and concern, going on for years now, I've yet to see a facility with multiple stalls go co-gender. Only ever the ones that are stand-alone individual rooms with locking doors and with that type, there's no danger of anyone of any kind walking in.

In the ones that the OP is posting about there could definitely be someone waiting for you to come out of your "room" since those individual bathrooms are set in a common room that houses sinks.
I would say those kinds of restrooms are even worse for women who are apprehensive about sharing with the opposite sex because with open stall concept you have an auditory hint and maybe a visual of anyone entering the bathroom. Coming out of an actual room you don't.
I'm sure for many women that isn't an issue, but there are those who have their reasons to have issues. There's no need to belittle their concerns. Maybe you aren't trying to but your post comes across as if you are telling the pp she has no reason to bring her dh in with her. You have no idea if she has no reason.

Just adding my opinion as a 65 year old woman. Unless single bathroom, which should always be gender neutral, I don't want gender neutral bathrooms. I know I don't have the popular thought but for many reasons. Most women I know who are in a bar go the ladies room and fix hair makeup and chat about guys in the bar, they don't want them in the bathrooms. Two, many women have issues going, even with other women, so I don't know many who will gladly go #2 sitting next to a man. Three, when my daughter was in school years ago gender neutral for all bathrooms - my husband was not thrilled being in the bathroom when a young college girl stepped out of the shower and was in a towel in front of him. Made him uncomfortable and he said it just didn't seem right. I don't think it's a great situation. I also agree with the mother with a young daughter, I would not have wanted my daughter to see men at the urinals. Why does everything have to be open - add a third gender neutral and problem solved. Don't write me back because I am not "woke" enough. It's times like this, I am glad I am old. I believe some thing should just be left alone.

Just adding my opinion as a 65 year old woman. Unless single bathroom, which should always be gender neutral, I don't want gender neutral bathrooms. I know I don't have the popular thought but for many reasons. Most women I know who are in a bar go the ladies room and fix hair makeup and chat about guys in the bar, they don't want them in the bathrooms. Two, many women have issues going, even with other women, so I don't know many who will gladly go #2 sitting next to a man. Three, when my daughter was in school years ago gender neutral for all bathrooms - my husband was not thrilled being in the bathroom when a young college girl stepped out of the shower and was in a towel in front of him. Made him uncomfortable and he said it just didn't seem right. I don't think it's a great situation. I also agree with the mother with a young daughter, I would not have wanted my daughter to see men at the urinals. Why does everything have to be open - add a third gender neutral and problem solved. Don't write me back because I am not "woke" enough. It's times like this, I am glad I am old. I believe some thing should just be left alone.
I believe the modern concept of gender neutral restrooms don’t have typical stalls, but ones with 100% privacy. ETA, this is a gender neutral bathroom in my daughter’s dorm. All of them are private.E07E809E-199D-41FB-B0AD-21EB57FF49E4.png

Last edited:
Nobody in my PE classes ever showered. Not enough time anyways. I used an open room shower once when I had no other option. It was at a pool facility and I didn’t even take off my trunks while showering.

Are you under 50?

Most guys age 50 (or maybe 55) and older grew up using those open shower rooms. It was awkward the first few times, then hardly anybody gave it a second thought.

I've definitely noticed the past 25 or so years that younger men are more modest and shy in locker rooms. Even when there are private shower cubicles. I once noticed a college aged guy with his gym bag outside the shower stall door. He was reaching under the door to get his clothes. He emerged fully dressed, including his shoes. There were private changing cubicles on the other side of the locker room. He was even afraid to walk to there with a towel around his waist.

Or the ones who do the "towel dance," putting on their underwear while still in a towel. If they're trying to avoid notice, it's just the opposite.

I was once in a men's room where the two urinals were in stalls with locking doors. At first I thought I had mistakenly gone into the women's restroom.

The past 10 to 15 years most places have installed dividers between the urinals, some floor to ceiling, others hardly anything. Yet strangely enough Kohl's isn't one of them, at least not the 4 or 5 in my extended area.

I haven't seen a trough urinal in about 20 years.

Someone way upthread mentioned urinal etiquette. Yeah, you generally don't use one right next to one already in use unless it's the only one available. And yes, generally no talking to the guy next to you, except maybe if it's your friend.

About 20 years ago on some talk show two metro guys were discussing urinal etiquette with the host, complete with diagrams. They said you NEVER use an adjacent urinal to one in use, even if the men's room has a line. And if there are three urinals, the middle one is NEVER to be used. And a few other ridiculous rules.

Actress Roseanne Barr was a previous guest still sitting there. When she couldn't take it any longer she blurted out "You guys are such [cats]. Do your Mommies still wipe you?' I thought that was funnier than anything she ever said on her 90s sitcom.

Honestly, if they just made all restroom stalls with full floor to ceiling walls with real doors and no gaps, that would make them much more comfortable for, well, everybody, right? It would mitigate a lot of the issues people have with it.
Colleges have been doing that with co-ed restrooms or showers for over 30 years. I didn't really find it all that remarkable if there are rooms like that.

The novelty that prompted the original post was that they were simply relabelled as "genderless" with minimal modification.

Dd18’s school has gender neutral bathrooms. Each toilet is in a little “room.” The sink area is shared.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter