Sharing Meals & Kids Meals

samanthacollins

Earning My Ears
Taking a super last minute quick trip in 2 weeks. Trying to come up with ideas to stay on or below budget. Food is the easiest to cut. Tell me your thoughts on:
Biggest portions (shareable) at QS?
Best shareable TS for the price?
And looking for pics of comparisons for Adult QS vs Kids QS (those that offer the same options for both).
In Park or Resorts.

I don't have any pictures, but I feel most QS meals are enough for two to share. You won't be stuffed, but you won't be hungry for a while either.

I sometimes order a kids QS meal. It's plenty of food for me.

The only sharing TS I have recent experience with was brunch at Homecomin. DH and I ordered biscuits and shared the fried chicken & donuts. We upgraded ($3) the entree to get two large chicken breasts. They split the entree onto two plates, which was nice. We each had a chicken breast, donut and two slices of bacon. I wasn't able to finish my chicken because it was too much food.

I found the meals at Satuli pretty big, but my husband finished almost all of his 🤷‍♀️ . I think if you have 2 people who eat roughly the same amount of food per meal, you could probably split a CS meal. But if someone eats small portions and someone eats huge portions, they're not quite big enough.

I don't have any pictures, but I feel most QS meals are enough for two to share. You won't be stuffed, but you won't be hungry for a while either.

I sometimes order a kids QS meal. It's plenty of food for me.

The only sharing TS I have recent experience with was brunch at Homecomin. DH and I ordered biscuits and shared the fried chicken & donuts. We upgraded ($3) the entree to get two large chicken breasts. They split the entree onto two plates, which was nice. We each had a chicken breast, donut and two slices of bacon. I wasn't able to finish my chicken because it was too much food.
i second homecomin'. i think the portions are crazy large.

I found the meals at Satuli pretty big, but my husband finished almost all of his 🤷‍♀️ . I think if you have 2 people who eat roughly the same amount of food per meal, you could probably split a CS meal. But if someone eats small portions and someone eats huge portions, they're not quite big enough.
I would say, however, Satuli has some of best, most satisfying kids meals for the smaller appetite on property.

The fisherman's basket (not sure the whole name, but the one with all the fried stuff) at Columbia Harbor House is a good size. A foot long hot dog and chili-cheese fries from Casey's could also be shared. The nachos at Cantina de San Angel in Epcot are also good.

Those are probably the only two QS meals I would share at this point, but I have a decent-sized appetite. Disney has really controlled portions over the last few years.

Homecomin has huge portions, and one entrée can easily be shared.

We (2 adults) often order kids meals for breakfast. It's a perfect portion. We order kids meals at Columbia Harbor House for lunch, usually the shrimp, and it's delicious and just enough.

We also find most QS and TS meals to be really large entrees, especially our resort food court most recently at POFQ. The portions sizes were outrageous. Outside of epcot festival food, (where we mostly fight over the food), we always end up splitting food and sadly sometimes having way too much leftover. Here's some of what we usually get and think these are definitely a value meal for sharing. And my family is me, hubs, and two teen girls. I'm not sure this plan would bode well with teenage boys. My heart goes out to those with teen boys for the food expenses...
  • Pecos bills- taco trio and the nachos/salad
  • The plaza, most of the sandwiches are large and easily split in half to share
  • Epcot- via napoli- 20" pizza --HUGE
  • DHS- ABC Commissary- buffalo chicken sandwich with farro salad or fries
  • Sci Fi dine in- burger/fries
  • Kona cafe tonga toast
  • most everything at Le cellier since the food is so darn heavy
  • Satuuli canteen protein/salad bowls
I know there's more but I can't think of them right now. If you decide to give something a try to split,and it's not enough, you can always order more too. Of course, I will also add, if we're trying to stay on budget with food, we'll bypass TS meals all together and opt to stick with QS, skipping a meal or two and snacking instead. It's easy to do this time of year as hot as it is. Our food expenses are a lot less during the summer time visits than cooler seasons. We just can't eat that much when we're hot.

I often order kids meals. I don't have a huge appetite, and I want to save room for some snacks too. Also, I like that most of the kids meals come with a cutie orange as one of the sides. I like having fresh fruit at the end of my meal.

Some of my favorites are Satuli cheeseburger pod and chips, Woody's grilled cheese (half a sandwich for the kids meal) and tomato soup, Pinocchio's pepperoni flatbread (kids meals have half a flatbread), and I like Disney chicken strips (you get 2). On my next trip I'd like to try the kids taco and/or chicken salad sandwich from abc commissary. The breakfasts are good too, basically the same as adult breakfast but a smaller portion.

Don't choose your CS meal based solely on size, but rather what you would both enjoy sharing. For TS, we would share an entree and get an appetizer or dessert (or both).

I assume there are restaurants that charge a per person price and so meal sharing or kids meals are not really an option. Other than character meals and probably Cinderellas Table, are there a lot that fall into this category?

I assume there are restaurants that charge a per person price and so meal sharing or kids meals are not really an option. Other than character meals and probably Cinderellas Table, are there a lot that fall into this category?
I can't remember all of them, but right off the top of my head I know Liberty Tree Tavern at MK, the new Roundup BBQ in Toy Story Land at HS, and Fantasmic dining packages at HS are priced per person.

Also prix fixe at Be Our Guest, Space 220 and California Grill, buffets without characters Boma, Biergarten

We share meals all of the time and have never encountered an issue (besides of the very rare 'splitting charge'). We generally get an appetizer or 2 and share an entree and dessert. We have shared dinner at Le Cellier in Epcot a couple of months ago, shared the soup (and I think maybe something else too as an appetizer but can't remember what), shared a steak entree and a dessert, and had wine with dinner. No one batted an eye and the table next to us shared as well.

Generally speaking, portions have been reduced property-wide. Meals are not nearly as sharable as they once were. We used to share meals all the time.

My suggestions:
1. Pack some snacks in your luggage perhaps.
2. One of better low cost WDW locations is Blaze. One of few with portions still big enough to share.
3. If you can dine offsite you will save $ and often eat better quality food.
4. Kid portions are now tiny at WDW, but I don't have nay pics.
5. Universal is better in this regard than WDW. (portion sizes). We do not order kid portions, so I don't have any pics, but Oner place with sharable food at Universal is Thunder Falls Terrace.
6. TS places also now serve smaller portions. While we sometimes share, we now find we have to order meals for each person.
7. Soup is one of better value options where you can find it.

Doing a buffet is still worthwhile, maybe combined with snacking until buffet time, or like an early dinner that = both lunch and dinner.

While some big platters are still big enough to share, that isn't necessarily the best value or most enjoyable option.

Last edited:
Generally speaking, portions have been reduced property-wide. Meals are not nearly as sharable as they once were. We used to share meals all the time.

My suggestions:
1. Pack some snacks in your luggage perhaps.
2. One of better low cost WDW locations is Blaze. One of few with portions still big enough to share.
3. If you can dine offsite you will save $ and often eat better quality food.
4. Kid portions are now tiny at WDW, but I don't have nay pics.
5. Universal is better in this regard than WDW. (portion sizes). We do not order kid portions, so I don't have any pics, but Oner place with sharable food at Universal is Thunder Falls Terrace.
6. TS places also now serve smaller portions. While we sometimes share, we now find we have to order meals for each person.
7. Soup is one of better value options where you can find it.

Doing a buffet is still worthwhile, maybe combined with snacking until buffet time, or like an early dinner that = both lunch and dinner.

While some big platters are still big enough to share, that isn't necessarily the best value or most enjoyable option.

For us, I find doing a buffet or prix fix meal is basically never worth it. My kids barely eat enough in one sitting to share a kids meal, no way I'm paying $60 for both of them to eat 5 bites of food. Also, we don't like getting deserts.

Every TS we go to allows my kids to share a kids meal and the wife and I split an appetizer. I've never done the AYCTE stuff for reasons stated but I think I read about people sharing the Whispering Canyon skillets sometimes?

I can't remember all of them, but right off the top of my head I know Liberty Tree Tavern at MK, the new Roundup BBQ in Toy Story Land at HS, and Fantasmic dining packages at HS are priced per person.
I’d add Artist Point. California Grill, the skillets at Wilderness Lodge, Garden Grill, Be Our Guest, any dining packages at Epcot during festivals.

I've never done the AYCTE stuff for reasons stated but I think I read about people sharing the Whispering Canyon skillets sometimes?
As I recall, those are - or were- a kind of AYCE option, that the staff will refill it upon request. You can order it for one person, or two, or three. (but you do not automatically have to order it for the whole table.) Patrons can also order off the menu.

I have not dined there in some years though. I found this review, but the reviewer did not care for it very much:
https://www.disneytouristblog.com/review-whispering-canyon-cafe-breakfast/

That said, I did have some of the Wilderness Lodge smoked brisket last summer, and that was tasty! WL runs their own smokehouse.

We did get a decent turkey sandwich at the quick serve at WL. We happened to share it as I recall, but we were just looking for a snack to tide us over for an hour. Both the turkey and the bread were very good. the QS did not offer a very wide range of menu options, but the sandwich was very good.

The chicken sandwich we had at Cosmic Ray's though was really bad. The last few times we got food there, it was disappointing.

Pinocchio's was also REALLY bad. We arrived early for our pickup order, but the staff was very backed up. Our food was thoroughly room temp by the time the staff gave it to us; everything had been sitting out way too long in the summer heat. Blech!

Casey's no longer offers sauerkraut, but the dogs are decent as hot dogs go. The smell of kraut was an iconic part of WDW. The Dapper Dans are still amazing though! We ate our food while listening to them perform, so that is still worthwhile as is listening to the live pianist closer to Casey's.

We were not wowed by the egg rolls. Some folks like them, but I don't see getting them again. We shared one order, just to try them, and that = just a very small snack per person.

We split a Mel at Wolfgng Puck at DS. I was actually surprised when the waitress asked if I wanted them to split it in the kitchen. There was no extra cost.
Cosmic Rays I ordered a double burger and paid for an extra bun.
In some sit down restaurants the kids meal looks much more appealing. Can an adult order a kids meal with no child present? I’ll be in my own. Thanks

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter