Sharing villa with non-DVC family/friends

We’ve done three big trips with extended family (one trip was smaller than the others and we booked two 2 bed villas, the other two trips we booked a studio and two 2 beds). We had 13 people on the smaller trip and 17 on the larger ones - all aunts, uncles, cousins. We basically offer up the idea of the trip as an invite to all 18-24 months in advance and provide an estimate of what the ticket costs and plane tickets would likely be. Basically the invite is that we’ll provide x number of nights of accommodation if people want to come and here is a guess of what your other expenses might be. We usually split the cost of a grocery delivery and usually we are treated to dinner one of the nights we go out though that is not at all an expectation we have.

We do ask people to commit to coming by a certain date so as not to be stuck with reservations we don’t need but our extended family is also especially close and in each other’s business and no one would ever flake on us at the last minute barring an actual emergency. I think you really have to understand and accept the dynamics of the people you are inviting and plan accordingly or things can go south.
I am really close to my extended family, unfortunately we could not invite anyone this year, but every Christmas is at my home, and the real fun is having them all (30 people )for 4 days under one roof. This is possible because everybody brings something and help with the chores.

We've done it for years and years but only with friends and family that we invite and share the vacation with us. We don't ask or expect any compensation. Friends must pay for their tickets, transportation and meals although we do a $200 - $300 room stocking. We pay for everything for our children and their spouses because we are blessed to be able to have that luxury.
Recently, we decided to invite a young family (in 2023) and they then asked about bringing a set of parents - I have to say - that changed the dynamics a bit. We only invitied them because I've known the young woman since she was in kindergarden with my daughter and she would struggle to pay for a trip with her young son and DH who has never been. She used to comes with us when my DD was in her teens.
The idea of the experience was the driver - not being the provider of a free room. In the end, the parents declined (and in the nicest way possible) but the whole incident made me think twice hence my post here in response to some of the undertones that would have previously been offensive.

It is "My DVC", and they are my guests and those that stay with us VACATION with us - not that I don't burn millions of cells planning what I hope will be a highly specialized tailored experience for each guest but still...with the invitation for the room comes a 'price' just not the $ kind.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter