Shark at Castawy Cay - UPDATED with pictures

natale1980

"When it comes to havoc, nobody wreaks like me!"..
While snorkling at Castaway Cay we found a four foot shark. Not sure what kind it was but it had a really big mouth.
We are staying in Disney until Sunday... I'll post pictures when we get back.
We were in no danger since it was dead or sleeping because the water was so cold. When DH went back to find it again it was gone! Not sure if Disney removed it or it swam away.
It was amazing!!!!
a castmember said there was a storm that took the fence out the other week.

-nat

Wow...I will be sure to not tell the hubby that one..LOL..he is a Scaredy Cat when it comes to the open waters...

Uh...I think I'll keep this little bit of info away from DS, or he won't go near the water! :lmao:

I just got our pictures back. Anyone know what type of shark it is?

011_11.jpg

013_13.jpg

012_12.jpg

Probably just a nurse shark. I've seen them before at the adult beach. Fortunately they are harmless. I'd be more worried about Barry the Barracuda, who also likes to hang around the Disney beaches (I suspect there is actually more than one Barry since DH has seen him at the adult beach and also in the snorkeling area).

I have read posts on here and other forums where posters said that they have seen nurse sharks at Castaway Cay before, both at the adult beach (unprotected area) and family beach (underwater fence protected area).

When we were there 2 years ago I came across a Lion fish in one of the underwater concrete artificial reefs in the snorkel area.

We saw the lion fish too.
You guys really think he's a nurse shark? Didn't know they were that big.

-nat

I agree, I think it is a nurse shark as well.

-nat

both nurse and reef sharks can get over 6 feet. These types of shark pose little threat to humans :thumbsup2 I have been diving around these types of sharks for over 30 years and if you give them respect they will respect you:thumbsup2

Rob

-nat

Looks like a nurse shark. They can get to 12-14ft in length...

I read an article a few months ago about the lionfish, I found it a good read on how it's intrusiveness into the Bahamas is bad for the other reef fish.

It has nothing to do with the original question, but it's a good read on how they got to the Bahamas, and what they're doing to the local ecosystem.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=111695369

-Steve

Ok now I'm worried! :scared1:

There's sharks, baracuda, and (don't laugh) cats at CC. (i have a cat phobia and cats seem to know it- they stalk me!!! )

If it wasn't so beautiful on CC I wouldn't be getting off the ship! .............

.............NOT!

Barry exists with several of his relatives according to one of the lifeguards. The first time I saw him, I asked a lifeguard if he knew that there was a barracuda in the snorkel area. He laughed and replied that I'd just seen "Barry or one of his family," and that there were at least 4 of them who were supposedly getting a little too used to having guests in "their" home. He said that barracuda are normally bottom dwellers and are very nearsighted. They don't approach people unless they think you are food (don't wiggle fingers around) or feel threatened. However, these were feeling a little less shy and wanted to visit with guests!

Your photo looks like a nurse shark, but I'm not a fish expert!

-nat

Nurse sharks are slow-moving bottom-dwellers and are, for the most part, harmless to humans. However, they can be huge—up to 14 feet (4.3 meters)—and have very strong jaws filled with thousands of tiny, serrated teeth, and will bite defensively if stepped on or bothered by divers who assume they’re docile.

http://animals.nationalgeographic.com/animals/fish/nurse-shark.html

Okay. You guys are FREAKING me out. My two older kids (11 & 8) love to snorkel and I have to take them because DH doesn't like it. I think I would NOT do well if I encountered one of these creatures....YIKES!:sad2:

Okay. You guys are FREAKING me out. My two older kids (11 & 8) love to snorkel and I have to take them because DH doesn't like it. I think I would NOT do well if I encountered one of these creatures....YIKES!:sad2:

No worries. Nurse sharks are gentle and won't bother you if you don't bother it. It is not an aggressive predator type fish. I think Typhoon Lagoon has nurse sharks there, but I can't be sure, as part of the snorkeling.

No worries. Nurse sharks are gentle and won't bother you if you don't bother it. It is not an aggressive predator type fish. I think Typhoon Lagoon has nurse sharks there, but I can't be sure, as part of the snorkeling.

Maybe there is a reason to like the COLD New England water...no scary creatures!!! But, alas, no snorkeling either!

Also kind of off the subject, but Steve put the link to the article about lionfish and while the article says that they are venomous, it hasn't been said elsewhere in the post. They are venomous so be careful of them.

It has nothing to do with the original question, but it's a good read on how they got to the Bahamas, and what they're doing to the local ecosystem.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=111695369

-Steve

I read a similar article to that one; after we got back from our trip where I saw it I researched the lion fish a bit. I was a little scared that I saw one of them there, even though they are a beautiful fish! My wife didn't believe me, but I had an underwater pic to prove it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter