Shark at Castawy Cay - UPDATED with pictures

Just worth noting this is a 3 1/2 year old thread that has been resurrected.

- Dreams

Excellent point!

And also re-stating what was said earlier in the thread... The ocean is their home and we are just visiting. :)

On my third cruise...2003 I think it was...we did the Doubloon sail n snorkel (again), and this time I was out towards the edge a bit, and a reef shark swam under me (no where close, but easily recognizable). I was close enough to our guide, and she asked me, very quietly, not to say anything. She didn't want anyone freaking out.

I happen to love sharks, think they're gorgeous creature, and knew it was harmless, but I'm sure had I called out people would have freaked.

My husband and I plan to snorkel on our trip to CC next month, we will not have the kids with us. I started to read this post and began to freak a little until I noticed it was from 2010!! then I calmed down a little!:thumbsup2

Barracuda's like "shiny things" and will go after them. This goes for rings, necklaces, etc. because they see them as prey.pirate:

We've seen the barracuda :eek: twice, this past January & June over at Serenity Bay. We've also seen a number of Sting Rays as well during past visits. ::yes::

1075740_10151737458201321_1358383346_n.jpg

It's THEIR world! We're just visiting!

:goodvibes

My husband and I plan to snorkel on our trip to CC next month, we will not have the kids with us. I started to read this post and began to freak a little until I noticed it was from 2010!! then I calmed down a little!:thumbsup2

Castaway Cay is still out in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean, and the ocean is still full of sharks. So what difference does it make that this post originated in 2010?

Now how ever, if you are talking about snorkeling in the Castaway Cay Snorkel Lagoon, then as well as now, there is a net to prevent LARGE animals from the open ocean from entering the lagoon (only barracuda would possibly be in that lagoon). Pictures of the sharks would come from places such as the adult beach that is still open to the ocean.

Just off the Disney Fantasy and my DD and I saw jellyfish in CC snorkel lagoon. It really freaked us out! When we told the lifeguard she said, yeah it's normal, other people have seen them today also. I saw the posted signs but I wish they had warned me that there had been sightings that day when I rented the equipment. I never would have gone in. We did continue to swim at the family beach that day but my DD was scared all day that she would get stung by a jellyfish! I was nervous to but trying to put on a brave face for her sake. After seeing that and reading this post, I think we will stick to the glass bottom boat next time! LOL!

Just worth noting this is a 3 1/2 year old thread that has been resurrected.

- Dreams

We saw the nurse shark in August 2012. It was a double dip CC, but we only saw it one of the days, at the snorkel beach. We were all very excited, not scared.:goodvibes

...After seeing that and reading this post, I think we will stick to the glass bottom boat next time! LOL!
DON'T DO IT!!!
On our 1st cruise, I tried to convince my wife to do a snorkeling tour. She was too scared to (something about not liking to put her head under water). The tour was so terrible (from a stand point of what you could see), she was shamed into snorkling on our second cruise.

When we were on the Fantasy in Sept 2013, we were snorkeling in the lagoon at CC at my BIL and my DH both got stung by jellyfish.

As others have posted...it's their ocean! Look, admire and move on! The sea life will be no more if we begin to destroy what is theirs!

Finally saw a barracuda out in open water past serenity bay on catamaran snorkel. He was chillin, but even at that pace hard to keep up with. Great way to end the snorkel! No sharks for us but our sis and BIL saw some and a turtle scuba diving at Stewart Cove in Nassau. Bahamian water is so great for sea life! Finally saw wild dolphins last Magic trip too! Leaving PC, and then from the ferry for Blue Lagoon. Of course we got to see dolphins at the island, but it was neat to see it swimming happily in the wild. It was a great cruise! Every single day was stunning! Gosh I want to go back! Thankfully I'm headed down to my previous stomping grounds on the gulf coast for the 4th holiday week. Gonna run dogs on the beach! That helps in between cruises. I just lovvvveee the ocean. Anyway I love the sea life at Castaway. Besides,Orange Beach had to close for lots of sharks because of fisherman discarding close to shore, and they were big enough to see from planes. Oh well. Its a big ocean!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter