"Shark Reef" To Be "Deep Sixed"

I will bet it was on the table last time but reality is that the Wave Pool and Crusher Gusher were the only things that stand out there. My family prefers the "attractions" at BB since we go to the ocean (wave pool) and Discovery Cove (snorkel) and honestly BB Family Raft ride is much better than even Crusher Gusher. If they removed Shark Reef they may have not had a good balance of guests at each park. TL needs another good slide .... and I absolutely see them closing Shark Reef. Imagine the expense of keeping it. That area could be put to much better use.

I will bet it was on the table last time but reality is that the Wave Pool and Crusher Gusher were the only things that stand out there. My family prefers the "attractions" at BB since we go to the ocean (wave pool) and Discovery Cove (snorkel) and honestly BB Family Raft ride is much better than even Crusher Gusher. If they removed Shark Reef they may have not had a good balance of guests at each park. TL needs another good slide .... and I absolutely see them closing Shark Reef. Imagine the expense of keeping it. That area could be put to much better use.
ICYMI, TL is adding Miss Fortune Falls near Crushin Gusher, it sounds like it will be a family raft ride that will give BB's a run for the money.

ICYMI, TL is adding Miss Fortune Falls near Crushin Gusher, it sounds like it will be a family raft ride that will give BB's a run for the money.

I didn't miss anything. I know all about the new family raft ride. My point was that Shark Reef was rumored to close a couple years ago but it didn't, and that maybe they realized without it, TL attendance would be out of balance with BB since it is one of the parks 3 draws. So they designed this new slide to be a draw to the park - as they did with Crusher Gusher when they built that .... and maybe now Shark Reef will be closing. It may stay open, but I would not be surprised if they closed it.

It's great they will add a good raft ride there, it is needed, but overall the slides at TL are too tame for us.

Awww that's too bad, it's our favorite thing to do at TL :) We love TL so much, it's the main reason we upgrade our passes to water park & more :)

I never considered the shark reef a major draw at TL,I look at it like a nice complimentary attraction that a lot of people might try once,the water is so cold even if they want to do it again they probably won't.One thing for sure is that there will probably be more space at the Disney waterparks next year when Volcano Bay opens at Universal,that park and Aquatica will start to make the Disney water parks the "old" water parks in town.That new raft ride in TL was badly needed,the current family raft ride is the lamest slide at any water park.

Any idea when in September? This attraction is the whole reason we chose the water park and more over the park hopper when we got free dining.

Stacy

Any idea when in September? This attraction is the whole reason we chose the water park and more over the park hopper when we got free dining.

Stacy
I don't know the when, but if you wanted to switch from WP&M to hoppers, you could call and hopefully they'd do it for you. A friend did it with hers when she had free dining last year and changed her mind.

The sea creatures in this exhibit were far below the surface. I don't know if they naturally wanted to swim near the bottom or if they stayed down there to avoid contact with the people at the top.

That said, I'm sure that they come across plenty of excretions, hair products and what-not in the wild. A little Dippity Do washed off somebody's hair is nothing compared to all the pollution in the ocean.

I'm not sure where to begin. Others please forgive my soapbox, but I have to dispel this post.

Sharks don't (generally) breed in captivity. They were almost certainly captured from the wild. In the wild, they roam long distances. Humans kill - conservatively - 100 million sharks every year. Think about that number for a moment.

Your second paragraph is just flat out wrong on so many levels. In a confined salt water aquarium, small changes = everything dies, especially sensitive animals like sharks. Even the pros get it wrong.

Many sharks simply cannot be kept alive in captivity. Period. Attempting it is a death sentence. They usually don't even survive capture.

The water we drink from the tap is toxic to marine life. There's Chlorine, chloramine, Phosphate, nitrate, silica, calcium, magnesium, pH, copper, lead, and more. Copper is toxic at 1.3 parts per million. CO2 levels above 30ppm are toxic.

I think you mentioned Dippity Doo to be sarcastic, but let's take a look. It contains a number ingredients that are toxic to humans: PVP/VA copolymer, Propylene glycol, Tetrasodium EDTA, Methyl Paraben, benzophenenone-4...

I'll venture to say, Disney doesn't want to suffer the same fate as Sea World.

I'm not sure where to begin. Others please forgive my soapbox, but I have to dispel this post.

Sharks don't (generally) breed in captivity. They were almost certainly captured from the wild. In the wild, they roam long distances. Humans kill - conservatively - 100 million sharks every year. Think about that number for a moment.

Your second paragraph is just flat out wrong on so many levels. In a confined salt water aquarium, small changes = everything dies, especially sensitive animals like sharks. Even the pros get it wrong.

Many sharks simply cannot be kept alive in captivity. Period. Attempting it is a death sentence. They usually don't even survive capture.

Really? Then I'm wondering how the National Aquarium does it. For that matter, there's a small aquarium in the town where I live and I've adopted one of their sharks. He's been there for years. I've been part of a tour group that helped with his feeding. How do they do it? How do they keep him alive? I mean, it must be a miracle, right?

As far as the Shark Reef at TL goes - I did it three times in one day when we were there a few years ago. It was very cool But I did note that all the sharks and fish stayed near the bottom, not that I wanted a close encounter or anything. But here's the thing, those are scavenger type sharks. i.e. sand sharks, etc. They normally live on the bottom. That's why the water is kept cooler; because it's more like their natural habitat. I'm OK if they close it. I can see where it could get them some unwanted attention like SeaWorld. But can we not turn a simple conversation about an attraction going/not going away into an eco-rant?

I just had a very minor heart attack until I looked at the date of the post. This was started in 2014 and said that it was going to close in 2015. Phew. Just checked the official Disney website and it lists the shark reef as an attraction - so I bet it is safe to say that it is here for a little while longer - who knows what the future holds for it.

The water we drink from the tap is toxic to marine life. There's Chlorine, chloramine, Phosphate, nitrate, silica, calcium, magnesium, pH, copper, lead, and more. Copper is toxic at 1.3 parts per million. CO2 levels above 30ppm are toxic.

I think you mentioned Dippity Doo to be sarcastic, but let's take a look. It contains a number ingredients that are toxic to humans: PVP/VA copolymer, Propylene glycol, Tetrasodium EDTA, Methyl Paraben, benzophenenone-4...

I'll venture to say, Disney doesn't want to suffer the same fate as Sea World.

Truly, I was not being sarcastic. I just think "Dippity Do" is a funny name and used it because it's not often that I can work it into a conversation.

It sounds as though you know far more about sharks than I do, and I respect that. :) My apologies.

The Rumors forum has a thread that states Disney is closing this attraction by September so obviously, that will be good for the sealife in it.

I just had a very minor heart attack until I looked at the date of the post. This was started in 2014 and said that it was going to close in 2015. Phew. Just checked the official Disney website and it lists the shark reef as an attraction - so I bet it is safe to say that it is here for a little while longer - who knows what the future holds for it.
If you look back 1 page there is a new rumor that it's closing in Sept of this year. But it is only a rumor at this time.

Really? Then I'm wondering how the National Aquarium does it. For that matter, there's a small aquarium in the town where I live and I've adopted one of their sharks. He's been there for years. I've been part of a tour group that helped with his feeding. How do they do it? How do they keep him alive? I mean, it must be a miracle, right?

Good grief. My first post was pretty mild. I just asked everyone to consider this attraction from the sharks' point of view, at a time when McDonald's is taking steps towards treating animals more humanely (cage free hens), and the National Aquarium you mentioned decided over four years ago that their dolphin show was inhumane. In fact, they've further concluded that the dolphins' 1.2 million gallon tank is an inhumane place to keep them.

I only elaborated because another poster made the preposterous claim that sharks were immune to water contamination, which is patently absurd, right? Since you take care of the sharks, how often does your aquarium test the water quality?

I was also careful to say, MANY sharks can't be kept, not all. There are 400+ known species, only a small percent can be kept in captivity, and most require professional tanks. Feeding often runs in the $1,000's per year, so it is expensive for WDW to keep this running.

And are you claiming the sharks they keep weren't wild caught?
Only these breeds CAN be captive bred: bamboo sharks, horn sharks, and coral catsharks. (see: Marine Breed Initiative, or Coral Magazine captive breed list) But that is only to say they can be bred; 98% of saltwater fish in the aquarium trade are wild caught.

Aquarium fish are most often caught by squirting them with cyanide. They then travel from Indonesia to the US. There is a high mortality rate. (See: Nat Geographic)

TL supposedly has leopard sharks and bonnethead sharks, though I have no idea who they source their sharks.

Also, as you seem to know more about sharks that I do, please explain how the shark's the ampullae of Lorenzini and lateral line work to detect their food. It is my understanding that they are able to detect thrashing fish over long distances. I'm perhaps mistaken in thinking that tourists thrashing about in their tank is a bit annoying to them.

Nothing wrong with an eco rant at all. Our planet is dying and without eco ranters we'd have all been dead by now. It's insane how many toxic chemicals we put in, on and around ourselves just to make the producers of those chemicals richer. Awareness is a very good thing and learning through enrichment is a very big part of Disney from the very beginning. Ironic that Monsanto, one of the worst offenders was one of the original sponsors of several Tomorrowland attractions.

Thanks!

Disney markets their conservation efforts, so I agree that it is fair to consider how they are living up to their own standards.

The sad truth about the original Nemo film is that thousands of clownfish and blue tangs were taken from the wild to satisfy demand in the pet trade. Demand has far exceeded sustainable levels.

I really just thought I'd bring a little information to this discussion. Posters asked why Disney would close this attraction. Cost and the well being of the animals seemed like valid considerations.

Thanks!

Disney markets their conservation efforts, so I agree that it is fair to consider how they are living up to their own standards.

The sad truth about the original Nemo film is that thousands of clownfish and blue tangs were taken from the wild to satisfy demand in the pet trade. Demand has far exceeded sustainable levels.

I really just thought I'd bring a little information to this discussion. Posters asked why Disney would close this attraction. Cost and the well being of the animals seemed like valid considerations.

That's sad since clownfish breed stupid easy in captivity.

Good grief. My first post was pretty mild. I just asked everyone to consider this attraction from the sharks' point of view, at a time when McDonald's is taking steps towards treating animals more humanely (cage free hens), and the National Aquarium you mentioned decided over four years ago that their dolphin show was inhumane. In fact, they've further concluded that the dolphins' 1.2 million gallon tank is an inhumane place to keep them.

I only elaborated because another poster made the preposterous claim that sharks were immune to water contamination, which is patently absurd, right? Since you take care of the sharks, how often does your aquarium test the water quality?

I was also careful to say, MANY sharks can't be kept, not all. There are 400+ known species, only a small percent can be kept in captivity, and most require professional tanks. Feeding often runs in the $1,000's per year, so it is expensive for WDW to keep this running.

And are you claiming the sharks they keep weren't wild caught?
Only these breeds CAN be captive bred: bamboo sharks, horn sharks, and coral catsharks. (see: Marine Breed Initiative, or Coral Magazine captive breed list) But that is only to say they can be bred; 98% of saltwater fish in the aquarium trade are wild caught.

Aquarium fish are most often caught by squirting them with cyanide. They then travel from Indonesia to the US. There is a high mortality rate. (See: Nat Geographic)

TL supposedly has leopard sharks and bonnethead sharks, though I have no idea who they source their sharks.

Also, as you seem to know more about sharks that I do, please explain how the shark's the ampullae of Lorenzini and lateral line work to detect their food. It is my understanding that they are able to detect thrashing fish over long distances. I'm perhaps mistaken in thinking that tourists thrashing about in their tank is a bit annoying to them.

OK, you win. I wasn't trying to make this into some kind of contest, I just wanted it to stay on topic.

But just for argument's sake - you did say many, but the implication of many in your statement was that most sharks in captivity die from being in captivity. At best, that's a gross oversimplification. Like I said, the small local aquarium in my town has lost one large animal in the 4+ years I've lived here and it was a very old seal that died of old age. They've got 3 nurse sharks, 2 sandbar sharks, and 2 sand tiger sharks, along with an assortment of smaller sharks from the Atlantic and Pacific oceans. We frequent there a lot and if one of the sharks were to die, my 6 y/o son would pick up on it immediately. He adores sharks.

I'll be a bit sad if they do close Shark Reef because my son won't get to experience it, but as I said before, I understand the issues. Can we stay on topic now?

I think this thread is just about done...but again, (folks were) asking WHY Disney is closing this attraction. It IS the topic of the thread. I'm sorry if this isn't what you wanted to hear, but the well being of the animals is a very central part of the discussion.

Our society is experiencing a paradigm shift. We know much more about wildlife and our planet than we knew ten years ago.

Don't take my word for anything I've said. Please do the research for yourself.

Disney's dive programs are run by NAUI (Nat Assoc of Dive Instructors). Their focus is to teach dive safety; they certify divers. They've had a long partnership with Disney (NASA and the Navy SEAL Program).

Early members included Jacques-Yves Cousteau, the founder of the Cousteau Society. Guess what? The Cousteau Society is raising money to preserve sharks in the wild because worldwide populations are collapsing. (their words)

Plus another article where they describe "shark poachers" getting caught by Ecuador with 200,000 shark fins, which they describe as "one of the most serious environmental CRIMES reported in the country in years." They go on to say, "Shark populations have declined by 90% worldwide."

Truly, I'm kind of thinking the idea subjecting sharks to a constant invasion of splashing tourists is going to be as popular as wearing a fur coat. Have you seen Disney's Flights of Wonder? Listened to the script of the safari ride?

Please, do the research yourself. Don't take my word for any of this, but truly, the world no longer sees them as the villain. There's been a paradigm shift since the advent of this attraction. Sharks are now seen very differently than they once were.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter