• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Shark Restaurant Opens

kellymonaghan

<a href="http://www.wdwinfo.com/dis-sponsor/index.
The new Sharks Underwater Grill opened on Thursday (8/8) and my wife and I were lucky enough to be in the park.

The restaurant is a real winner but I think the high prices will turn a lot of people away. For now at least, there is no moderately priced full-service restaurant at the parks, since Bimini Bay has closed.

The old Terrors of the Deep exhibit has been completely retrofitted to contain both an attraction (now called Shark Encounter) and the new restaurant.

Sharks Grill is beautiful to look at, the decor a mixture of sci-fi hi-tech and underwater grotto. The main feature, of course, is that the restaurant occupies the former large viewing area of the shark tank. There were 36 sharks in the tank before it was closed for renovations and they plan to put back 55. (At the moment, only about 25 sharks are in the tank while they troubleshoot the filtration system)

The dining area is on three levels and the lighting is kept low to showcase the sharks. The food is a mixed bag.

The two appetizers we had (conch chowder and bruschetta) were good but bland. The desserts were splendid to look at but otherwise lackluster.

The entrees, on the other hand, were spectacular. Very inventive dishes with over-the-top presentations. We has the blackened sea scallops, which is served in a spicy sauce with grilled veggies over a yucca base, and the red snapper, which is served with garlicky spinach puree and a deep fried pastry pouch stiffed with rice and beans. Both of these entreesd were over $20.

The bar will have a mini acquarium along the top, containing tiny fish. It was not ready the other day.

There's no way around the fact that the restaurant is expensive. Figure at least $30 per person for a full meal. There are some less expensive items on the menu, like pizzas. But I was told that if they start selling too many pizzas, they'll pull them from the menu. They obviously hope Sharks will make it as a high-end dining experience. It will be intersting to see if that works out.

Why is Bimini Bay Cafe closed? I will be going next month and will be trying the shark restaurant. I think it's pretty expensive. Don't they have any chicken dishes for a lower price? $30 a person is pretty steep unless the restaurant is really so beautiful that it makes it worth the money.

If someone could get a hold of the menu and submit it to the Dis boards it would be nice to see what they have.

Originally posted by Barry Hom
Thanks Kelly! How is the shark attraction? Can you still walk through the tunnel?

Yes, you still go through the tunnel. But the big picture windows into the tank are all now part of the restaurant. Before you descend to ther tunnel, there are a few windows in the attraction that let you peek into the restaurant and see the tank.

Originally posted by joe
Why is Bimini Bay Cafe closed? I will be going next month and will be trying the shark restaurant. I think it's pretty expensive. Don't they have any chicken dishes for a lower price? $30 a person is pretty steep unless the restaurant is really so beautiful that it makes it worth the money.

If someone could get a hold of the menu and submit it to the Dis boards it would be nice to see what they have.
Bimini Bay was closed because they are going to redevelop that whole area, from Bimini Bay right up to the Sky Tower. Construction could start as early as next month.

You're right, the Shark restaurant is expensive. There are chicken dishes but they are in the $16-$17 range, if memory serves.

The manager said he'd fax a menu, but it hasn't arrived yet. When/if it does, I'll post it.

We went yesterday and ate there. We were told it was a 95 minute wait and they gave us a pager. We were told when the pager goes off, come back to the restaurant and they would immediately seat us. The wait was actually only about 45 minutes. There were a lot of empty seats. My son loved the spaghetti (kids meal). I only got an appetizer, flat bread pizza. I don't remember exactly what it was called. It was very bland. Unless you really like to sit down and eat it is not worth it. You see the same things going throught the tunnel. The bar was finished and it was nice to see the fish. But again I do not feel it was worth the money.

I don't see this working out if the food is overpriced. Too many locals come to this park and know better. If the restaurant uses the same viewing windows that were once free, I can't see many paying big bucks for a meal. This setup doesn't sound good at all.

So, it wasn't good? I'm sad to hear that.. did you get a menu? Was there lunch prices?

So, can you tell me how the exhibit works now? Can you still see the tunnel from walking through?

Thanks!

Thanks kellymonaghan for your post. This restaurant sounds great to go to. We're going to visit Sea World on Dec. 1st. I was hoping you could answer a question for me. You said the restaurant was layed out in tiers. We have a person in our party that uses a wheelchair. Is there seating where we wouldn't have to go down any stairs and still be able to view the sharks?

Thanks,
Christine

Yes the place is wheelchair accessible.

The reason there were empty tables is most likely because they are trying not to overload the kitchen until they get all the kinks ironed out.

I don't think the food is overpriced. The entrees we had were truly exceptional. (Although the appetizers were bland and the desserts, while pretty to look at, were just so-so.)

But the fact remains that the prices ARE expensive and that has always been a problem at theme parks. It will be interesting to see if they can make a go of it. I hope so, because I for one like the idea of fine dining in theme parks. Guess that's why I'm such a Mythos nut.;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter