Sharps/Medical Waste Disposal at Disney World Hotels?

DisSurfer878

DIS Veteran
Hi all!

We are in the early planning stages of a WDW trip. Once a month, my partner gets injections of a medication. Based on the dates we are looking at, we will have to travel with this medication and do the injection while there.
Fortunately it seems all the places we are looking at have mini fridges to keep the medication cold as we won't use it until halfway through our trip.
HOWEVER, we only have a GIANT sharps box at home. Not particularly portable and will already be mostly filled with sharps (this is provided by the pharmaceutical company).
I know most "public" bathrooms or first aid will have a sharps disposal, but what can we do at the hotels?

Hi all!

We are in the early planning stages of a WDW trip. Once a month, my partner gets injections of a medication. Based on the dates we are looking at, we will have to travel with this medication and do the injection while there.
Fortunately it seems all the places we are looking at have mini fridges to keep the medication cold as we won't use it until halfway through our trip.
HOWEVER, we only have a GIANT sharps box at home. Not particularly portable and will already be mostly filled with sharps (this is provided by the pharmaceutical company).
I know most "public" bathrooms or first aid will have a sharps disposal, but what can we do at the hotels?
been years but let the desk know when you check in and housekeeping will provide one for you. at least that was how it worked for adult daughter who needed one

once you are in your room, you can also use the Housekeeping button on the phone to request a Sharps Container. They are free of charge - Disney doesn’t want anyone one getting stuck.

all the public restrooms have sharps containers

Great!!! Thanks guys. The injection is only one and we will likely do it in the room.
I was willing to walk it to a public restroom if need be, but wanted to see what all the options were before I wandered through the hotel with two auto inject needle pens lol

Also remember hotel small fridge can be off so they can freeze things instead of keeping then cold

Also remember hotel small fridge can be off so they can freeze things instead of keeping then cold
We know, but we see no other choice so just have to hope for the best. This medication needs to be taken monthly on a schedule so we can't do it early or late.

We know, but we see no other choice so just have to hope for the best. This medication needs to be taken monthly on a schedule so we can't do it early or late.
I have in the past used a frio wallet in the fridge to make sure my insulin did not freeze. Try can also find then at Walgreens Walmart and CVS ( or at lest in my area ) not sure how much too cold (it freezing ) would do your med

I have in the past used a frio wallet in the fridge to make sure my insulin did not freeze. Try can also find then at Walgreens Walmart and CVS ( or at lest in my area ) not sure how much too cold (it freezing ) would do your med
Good to know! It's not for insulin though, so I'm not sure if it would work but I'm gonna do some research anyways

Good to know! It's not for insulin though, so I'm not sure if it would work but I'm gonna do some research anyways
The Pharmacist should be able to help you and there should. There should be a package insert with the medication that gives the storage requirements.

FRIO should work for most medicine pens. If you contact them I’ve had good customer service help me pick the right size to fit the specific medicine.

Many of the public restrooms at the resort and some in the parks have sharps containers on the wall. I just carry my pen needles in a plastic bag and dump it out in the container.

If you fell like asking for a sharps container for the room would be a waste (although, the one we got for my son a couple of years ago was a travel size) you could carry a empty prescription bottle or pill bottle and then dump the contents into a larger sharps when you see one. We do that with my son's insulin pen needles and lancets.

If you fell like asking for a sharps container for the room would be a waste (although, the one we got for my son a couple of years ago was a travel size) you could carry a empty prescription bottle or pill bottle and then dump the contents into a larger sharps when you see one. We do that with my son's insulin pen needles and lancets.
It's much larger than a pill container. It's about 8 inches tall.

I confess with shame that I was disappointed the first time I was given a sharps container at a Disney hotel and it turned out to be just a plain old sharps container like the one I had at home. I at least expected it to have mouse ears on it! Or a picture of Tinkerbell waving a magic syringe!

I use a needle clipper by BD that you can cut the needle off, allowing me to throw away the whole thing when I travel (started using at home at home as well)

I use a needle clipper by BD that you can cut the needle off, allowing me to throw away the whole thing when I travel (started using at home at home as well)
Syringes with the needle cut off can be safely thrown in the trash in most states, but the needle clipper that holds the clipped needles still needs to be disposed of in a sharps container. (Check with local community for guidelines)

Appreciate the suggestion but it won't work with this. It's an auto injector pen that retracts the needle before I even fully take it out of his leg.
I would have to take the whole thing apart and probably stab myself in the process lol

Appreciate the suggestion but it won't work with this. It's an auto injector pen that retracts the needle before I even fully take it out of his leg.
I would have to take the whole thing apart and probably stab myself in the process lol
Would that make it in itself a sharp container. My Dexcom retracts it self making it a sharp container

Would that make it in itself a sharp container. My Dexcom retracts it self making it a sharp container
No.
it‘s safer than one where the needle doesn’t retract, but it’s still classified as a ’syringe with needle’ as far a disposal is concerned. It should still be disposed of in a sharps container.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter