Shingles vaccine, cost? Insurance?

SL6827

DIS Veteran
When you hit the age of 50, does your health insurance pay for the shingles vaccine for you?

When you hit the age of 50, does your health insurance pay for the shingles vaccine for you?
Mine did, but it really depends on your insurance. We had to pay OOP for DH because insurance required it be administered in the doctor's office (not the pharmacy) but the doctor's office wouldn't do it and directed him to the pharmacy. My shot was at my PCP.

When my husband got the vaccine at 50, he paid about $300 out of pocket for the vaccine.
We changed insurance about a year later, mine was completely covered.
Call your insurance and check with them before your request it so you will know which way it will go.

I had a friend who got shingles at 39 years old and had it in her eye and needed to see the eye doc every day for a week.
She said the pain makes the vaccine well worthwhile and talked me into getting it.

When my husband got the vaccine at 50, he paid about $300 out of pocket for the vaccine.
We changed insurance about a year later, mine was completely covered.
Call your insurance and check with them before your request it so you will know which way it will go.

I had a friend who got shingles at 39 years old and had it in her eye and needed to see the eye doc every day for a week.
She said the pain makes the vaccine well worthwhile and talked me into getting it.
I have heard that it can make some people want to end thier life, no joke. Getting it next month.

My local pharmacy and supermarket both have stickers on the door about free* shingles vaccine. * is they don’t mind checking if your insurance covers it at that location. Try calling your local options. Probably easiest where you already have an account with current insurance info.

CORRECTION: I "read" aka didn't read, RSV. My insurance did cover Shingles. I did at the pharmacy.

Last edited:
I am in my 70s and had chickenpox as a child …
I got the first Shungles Vax when it was still a single dose for senior .
Then they announced the new double dose so I had those also…
Still got shingles due to extreme financial stress…after my husband passed away.
But my shingle outbreak was mild due to having the shots.
And final piece of advice besides get the shot
Try not to scratch the shingles rash …no matter what . Actually if you scratch it just once the pain is enough to remember No scratching that itch !

I am retired and on Medicare and was told that they would only cover it if it was done at a pharmacy which I did; would not cover it at my PCP office.

Mine was covered, no charge. DH got his a couple of years ago when we were on different insurance and his was covered as well.

I am in my 70s and had chickenpox as a child …
I got the first Shungles Vax when it was still a single dose for senior .
Then they announced the new double dose so I had those also…
Still got shingles due to extreme financial stress…after my husband passed away.
But my shingle outbreak was mild due to having the shots.
And final piece of advice besides get the shot
Try not to scratch the shingles rash …no matter what . Actually if you scratch it just once the pain is enough to remember No scratching that itch !
Ohhhhh. Not good.

My husband never even had chicken pox as a child. Not sure how that happened. Should he be concerned about any of this?

I only had a sore arm. DH had a sore arm with shot 1 and about 4 hours of flu like symptoms with the second.

I have heard that it can make some people want to end thier life, no joke. Getting it next month.
Both my mother and brother got shingles so I saw this… excruciating pain. Got it as soon as I could… covered by insurance but honestly I’d have paid for it!

I am retired and on Medicare and was told that they would only cover it if it was done at a pharmacy which I did; would not cover it at my PCP office.
This is correct. Part B doesn’t cover Shingrix, but Part D (the optional drug plan) does, and it has to be given at a pharmacy.

I got the single dose Shingles shot when I was 60. Insurance did not cover it. Cost me $200.
Then the two dose vaccine came out. I got the first shot at age 64, my insurance covered it. Got the second shot at age 65 (6 months after the first), Medicare did not cover it, cost $200.
Zero reaction to any of the three shots.
Our kids brought home chicken box to my wife, who never had it as a kid. She was off work for a week, and it was two months before she felt back to normal. I can only imagine how debilitating shingles can be.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter