Shingles Vaccine (Shingrix)

HeatherC

Alas...these people I live with ...
Have you gotten the Shingles vaccine? I finally scheduled myself for one tomorrow and while I am not looking forward to it, I think it is better than getting Shingles. I just had a friend diagnosed with it week. My younger brother also had it several years ago and it was excruciating for him due to it being in his eye. He wound up hospitalized a couple times and was in danger of losing his vision in the eye. Ever since then, I figure I should get it.

I figured this is a quiet week so decided to do it. Hoping I don’t feel miserable from it! Any suggestions or care to share your experience? Thanks!

We just had our first one on Thursday. We kept saying we would go get it done and it kept going to the back burner. Our daughter in law is pregnant and we were told if being around baby, make sure our Tdap booster is up to date. We went for the Tdap, next covid booster (over 65) and Shingrix. I have had the Tdap before and all the covid boosters so was pretty sure any reaction would be from Shingrix. Our arms were quite sore, Friday night I woke up at 2:30 and couldn’t go back to sleep. I had the chills, headache and body aches, which lasted all day Friday. My stomach was off but not bad, I was able to eat light things. My DH had the same symptoms but his stomach was much more nauseous and couldn’t eat, although he did not throw up. By Saturday morning we were back up and running. I’ve heard the 2nd vaccine can be worse but we shall see. It’s much better than getting shingles, in our opinion. Good luck.

Have you gotten the Shingles vaccine? I finally scheduled myself for one tomorrow and while I am not looking forward to it, I think it is better than getting Shingles. I just had a friend diagnosed with it week. My younger brother also had it several years ago and it was excruciating for him due to it being in his eye. He wound up hospitalized a couple times and was in danger of losing his vision in the eye. Ever since then, I figure I should get it.

I figured this is a quiet week so decided to do it. Hoping I don’t feel miserable from it! Any suggestions or care to share your experience? Thanks!
Shingrix is a 2 dose vaccine - second one 2-6 months after the first.

My first shot didn't have much reaction beyond "normal" - sore arm and minor headache.

Second shot - much bigger reaction. Large, hot, red welt on arm, couldn't raise arm up (much like tetanus shot), and once home, I was so tired I slept for 3 hours.

My first one (just a couple of weeks ago) was nothing more than a really sore arm. I was prepped for worse. Will probably have a worse reaction to the second one like DH did. He was feeling flu-ish when he got up the following morning but it quickly subsided. He was fine by noon.

Every vaccine, other than the flu shot, I received in the past year has done a number on me and I'm out for a couple of days. Shingles, COVID-19, and Pneumococcal have all knocked me on my 🫏!

Every vaccine, other than the flu shot, I received in the past year has done a number on me and I'm out for a couple of days. Shingles, COVID-19, and Pneumococcal have all knocked me on my 🫏!
Same here. The good news is that it means the vaccine is strong and doing its job! So I guess it's a good sign, but definitely not a lot of fun after each of these.

Hit my 50th last year. This is a good reminder that I need to get my shingles vaccine started!

UPDATE! I just scheduled my first for this Thursday. Appreciate the thread on this subject!

Last edited:
Sore arm and chicken pox like welts on the arm I got the shot in.
I used Desitin maximum strength (40% zinc) to stop the itching sensation per my doc’s advice.

Shingles is the only vaccine that I have gotten that I had any side effects, other than a sore arm. They were mild and didn't last more than 12 hours.

I had shingles in 2021 and it was horrible. :eek::faint::sick:

It's the most bizarre thing I have ever experienced. Stabbing pain, electric shock pain, sharp pain, all random kinds of pain and there’s no rhyme or reason as to when these various pains hit you.

My husband saw what I was going through and within a month he scheduled his first Shingrix vaccine. :scared: I had to wait until at least a year after my last symptoms disappeared before I could get the vaccine.

And how could I forget that shingles can last MONTHS. I was in misery for about 4 months. :hourglass

Unless there’s a medical reason why you can’t or shouldn’t get this vaccine, I highly recommend it. ::yes::

First dose mild arm soreness.
Second dose felt like the body aches of a flu, but no other symptoms. It is common but not universal for the second dose to have higher side effects than the first.
Also it's 100% worth it. Everyone I know who had shingles was miserable for a long time. With Shingrix, even if you get shingles anyway (no vaccine is 100%), it is much, much more mild.

I had shingles last March, then my husband got it last summer. We are both early 50's and had planned to get the shot but just hadn't done it yet. We both got the first shot late last fall and both had a more sore arm than usual but no other side effects. I nag everyone I know who is approaching 50 to get the vaccine - it's much better than shingles.

I had a strong reaction to shot #1. Shot #2 was half as bad. I was prepared to give myself four days to recover but ended up fine to go to work the day after. I felt bad, but not bad enough to sit around.

Glad to have them done.

DH just got his first and barely had a sore arm.

I just had a really sore arm with a hard bump and redness at the injection site after both doses.

Have had both. Actually was the easiest one I've had. COVID and Flu shots kicked me down.

AND having had a "mild" case of shingles while pregnant I assure you ... it is worth anything that shot might do to you to avoid getting shingles. ‼️‼️ HORRIBLE.

I counted the days until I was eligible for it; you need a prescription here and they won’t prescribe it until you’re 50. My time was just as Covid was ramping up in 2020 but because I’ve got a huge fear of shingles, I didn’t want to delay. The side effects from the first dose were so bad I was sure I had Covid and self-reported to the government facility for testing. It took a good two days for the fever and chills to stop. The second dose wasn’t so bad overall but the arm soreness and hot, red lump were worse.

No matter...I’d do it all again tomorrow. I do wish you better luck though. :flower3:

Both doses. No issues except sore arm which I get from all injections.

I saw my mother and brother have shingles. It was absolutely horrific for both. Vaccine was a non issue for me… I was more than happy to take my chances on the side effects.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter