Shingles Vaccine (Shingrix)

I haven't had the vaccine because my insurance doesn't deem me old enough for it. But, I have had Shingles. Trust me, no matter what the side effects of the shot are, it has to be better than shingles. I am not a hypochondriac, not do I go to the doctor for every little thing, but when I had shingles (before I knew what it was), I went to the emergency room in the middle of the night because the pain was so intense. Mine started inside before they showed any outward symptoms and I've never felt such pain in my trunk.

The usual sore arm, but my wife and I had no reaction to either of the two dose vaccine shots. I had the old, single dose shingles vaccine as well with no issues about 6 years before.

My first shot didn't have much reaction beyond "normal" - sore arm and minor headache.

Second shot - much bigger reaction. Large, hot, red welt on arm, couldn't raise arm up (much like tetanus shot), and once home, I was so tired I slept for 3 hours.

This for me too

Got both shots no problems / sadly I still got shingles thru shots and on medication in my eyes no less !! It was a very stressful time in my life so Dr figured that was what was setting it off - nonstop shingles in my eyes for months - clear up one case and another one would start. Plus having gagged on my back nonstop - the itching is insane let alone the stabbing pains your eyes feel like they have glass that’s on fire in them
Definitely get the shot if you can and I hope it helps keep you free from these nasty shingles !!!!

I've had no body issues from any vaccines, but man, from this shot , felt like someone whacked my arm with baseball bat. Couldn't sleep on that side. Arm didn't hurt as long as no air moved about it. Took about 4 or 5 days to return to normal. I always get shots on my non dominate arm , just in case any reactions.

I had the shots a few years ago. Just tired and a sore arm. I have found gatoraide and ibuprofen after the shot for pain. They say not to take ibuprofen before the shot. Also a tech told me to let your arm hang down loose for shots.Seems to work.

My husband & I have had both doses, just the normal sore arm after a shot. I had heard all the horror stories, so we were expecting the worst. But really, no worse than any other vaccine we’ve ever gotten.

I felt fine after the first one. After the second one, I was nauseated and lightheaded and didn't feel well for two days. I've had shingles before, and it took almost a year for the symptoms to go away. I would gladly trade two days for one year.

Thanks everyone! Heading to get it this this morning in my non dominant arm just in case. Hoping it won’t be too bad and know either way it will be much better than actually getting Shingles.

Now I have to convince dh to just go get his. He just forgets about it but I think I am going to just make the appointment for him.

I had just a headache and sore arm for the first shot. The second one was more intense side effects. Not horrible, but about 12 hours after the shot, I was shivering, weak, exhausted etc. I went to bed and was much better in the morning. Still moving slow and extra tired the next day, but able to function.

I got mine a few years ago. I don't remember having any issues. No way did I want to chance getting that, I've also heard how bad it can get.

Two doses and no significant issues other than raised red welt on arm and tenderness after second shot. It resolved within 48 hours.

I pushed my family md to allow me to buy the shots a few years before my 50th birthday as have watched neighbours and family members struggle with shingles. Including close friends and family that had it in eyes. Terrible experience for them and one that often repeats in years to come. I highly recommend getting the shots.

I got the shots last year(I'm now 53) and had the usual sore arm but no other side affects that I can recall. My husband still needs to get his but he was recovering from triple bypass last April, doing quite well now. I was just talking to my parents about getting the shot and they said that their medicare plan doesn't cover the shingles shot!? Their supplemental coverage will only cover a percentage and supposedly the shots cost several hundred dollars each. So that's why they haven't done it yet.

Can you still get Shingles if you've never had Chicken Pox? My DS(23) got the vaccine was he was younger and so has never had them.

I had shingles around my waist area when I was 51. It was horrible, no clothes could touch the area for a week an a half. I got the 2 vaccines a few years ago, never want to go through that again. I had a sore arm, but I get that with all my shots.

Very sore arm and very tired for a few days after. After watching my mother suffer with shingles I made sure to get the vaccine the moment I could.

While this is true the vaccine used live cultures to make it. I am one of a very few in my age range( early 50's) that did not have chicken pox as a child. So when my DH and I were trying for children my doctors recommended getting the chicken pox vaccine. Now with turning 50 a few years ago the shingles vaccine came up in conversation. DH got his right after we turned 50, we're the same age. But my doctor and I looked at the likelihood of my getting shingles are very unlikely and if I did get shingles would be extremely mild. So I have opted for now not the get the vaccine. If I did get a case of shingles I would have no problem then getting the vaccine as soon after as I could get the shot.

I was just talking to my parents about getting the shot and they said that their medicare plan doesn't cover the shingles shot!? Their supplemental coverage will only cover a percentage and supposedly the shots cost several hundred dollars each.

Have they checked on that in the last year? The coverage rules for Part D & Advantage plans changed last year.

https://www.ncoa.org/article/medicare-and-medicaid-now-fully-cover-preventive-vaccines

“What vaccinations does Medicare fully cover?​

No-cost coverage continues for the flu, pneumococcal, and COVID-19 vaccines, and hepatitis B for people whose doctors recommend it. In 2023, the Tdap, RSV, and shingles vaccines joined the list of no-cost vaccinations.

The ACIP Adult Immunization Schedule recommends these vaccines for older adults with additional risk factors or other health needs: hepatitis A, varicella, meningococcal A, C, W, Y (MenACWY); meningococcal B (MenB); and haemophilus influenzae type b (Hib).

Those vaccines are also now cost-free.

Medicare now covers the complete cost of Shingrix, the vaccine that helps prevent shingles. This viral infection, which causes a painful skin rash, affects about 1 out of 3 people in the U.S. And your risk of getting shingles—and complications from shingles—increases with age.”

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter