Shiny Happy People Docuseries

Status
Not open for further replies.
Watched it yesterday and so so disturbing! Disappointed in myself that I ever watched the show.

I kept thinking, as I was watching, that CPS needs to be checking on the remaining Duggar children and the children of the adult Duggar’s. Much abuse in those fundie families.

Sickening, frightening, and difficult to watch.

Everyone needs to watch this documentary, especially for episode 4 regarding the "Joshua generation." Not sure they should keep referring to it as that considering what happened to him!

I can't believe Jill never received any compensation for her series. How has TLC not been investigated for false/fraudulent contracts?

The way they describe how to get away with corporal punishment was so disgusting. The talk of blanket training made me want to throw up. Everyone says well, they're great parents, look at how well-behaved their kids are. Yes, because they beat the spirit out of them!!

I binge watched it earlier this week. I've read articles about a lot of what was discussed, so things like blanket training and a lack of education were not a surprise. Clearly others know about their behaviors. I do wonder just how corrupt the area in which they live is? People know what goes on thanks to the media, yet CPS is not knocking on the door or taking away their kids. Even after Josh's multiple scandals and blanket training.

I binge watched it earlier this week. I've read articles about a lot of what was discussed, so things like blanket training and a lack of education were not a surprise. Clearly others know about their behaviors. I do wonder just how corrupt the area in which they live is? People know what goes on thanks to the media, yet CPS is not knocking on the door or taking away their kids. Even after Josh's multiple scandals and blanket training.
Well, they were good friends with Mike Huckabee, the former governor, and now his daughter is governor. So. Draw your own conclusions.

Perfect example of group think brain rot.

This is a cult. There is no wiggle room here.

These people are the ones at the heart of the political culture wars in this country and they need to absolutely be called out as the evil people they are (the leaders, not the brainwashed victims).

How any of what they do is legal is beyond me. Our laws have been too kind to people who abuse them under the guise of religion.

In addition, the laxity on laws surrounding Homeschooling in this country have allowed this abuse to go unchecked. These kids are not being educated at all, yet they are allowed by law to keep doing it. Shameful. I don't trust ANYONE who either was Homeschooled or who has homeschooled their own children, especially if they used a curriculum develiped by any religious institution. There is no oversight at all, and this is how you end up with adults who are so far gone in terms of their knowledge and critical thinking skills that they think the earth is flat, among other ridiculous beliefs.

Of course, we all knew Jim Bob and Michelle were awful people from the get go. Who has all of those children and forces other children to raise them? A bad person. And then, of course everything with Josh sealed the deal. Just awful humans.

But I did not realize what an absolute psychotic sociopath Michelle was until this docuseries. The blanket training segment where she talks (in a baby voice) about the child picking their favorite toy, so she could then abuse said child when he/she reaches for the toy:sad1: Again, I hope they under constant scrutiny. And I also hope Jim Bob and Michelle are brought to justice one day.

These people are the ones at the heart of the political culture wars in this country and they need to absolutely be called out as the evil people they are (the leaders, not the brainwashed victims).

How any of what they do is legal is beyond me. Our laws have been too kind to people who abuse them under the guise of religion.

In addition, the laxity on laws surrounding Homeschooling in this country have allowed this abuse to go unchecked. These kids are not being educated at all, yet they are allowed by law to keep doing it. Shameful. I don't trust ANYONE who either was Homeschooled or who has homeschooled their own children, especially if they used a curriculum develiped by any religious institution. There is no oversight at all, and this is how you end up with adults who are so far gone in terms of their knowledge and critical thinking skills that they think the earth is flat, among other ridiculous beliefs.
As a 5 year veteran homeschool mom, I take personal offense of such a narrow minded view of homeschooling. If appropriate research is done you will see that most homeschoolers have superior test scores and excel academically more than their peers. Covid homeschooling was not homeschooling and is a separate class of "school".

Just as there are bad apples in other school settings, there are in homeschooling, too. Every state is different, but most have oversight, testing requirements, progress checks, etc.

Many of us don't homeschool for religious reasons and don't believe in indoctrination on either side of the extremes.

Bigotry takes many forms.

I started answering just as I saw eksmama01 respond. In general I agree there are many states (including mine) with extremely lax homeschool laws. All one has to do is take attendance and take one test per year (and no need to report results). Any there are many not teaching well and/or teaching incorrect things.

That said, I started homeschooling my youngest child mid-year this year, and will homeschool one more year until he's in high school when he will return to public school. The middle school we were at had gotten simply awful. Terrible staff turnover, months upon months with no teachers for some classes, when they would finally find a replacement teacher, they were never anywhere close to as good as the ones that left. Some kids didn't have ELA or science teachers for most of a year. Not to mention the bullying. The only work given was repetitive busy work. Not only was my child not learning anything, he was bored out of his mind, miserable, and extremely depressed. When we would watch a 5-10 minute science video at home once we started homeschooling, he told me they would spend a week covering that same few minutes of material in his science class. I'm not a teacher, I still work a full time job, and I don't profess to know what I'm doing. But, I'm absolutely certain he is getting more out of it than he was at school. And he's so much happier.

The high school we'll go to seems much better with staffing, and I've already talked to the principal about making sure we receive credit for HS level classes we're already doing. Anyway, just to say, homeschooling is not ALL bad; it's a lifeline for some of us that needed to get our kids out of a bad situation, in states and areas where public education funding and support is being methodically and intentionally eroded.

As a 5 year veteran homeschool mom, I take personal offense of such a narrow minded view of homeschooling. If appropriate research is done you will see that most homeschoolers have superior test scores and excel academically more than their peers. Covid homeschooling was not homeschooling and is a separate class of "school".

Just as there are bad apples in other school settings, there are in homeschooling, too. Every state is different, but most have oversight, testing requirements, progress checks, etc.

Many of us don't homeschool for religious reasons and don't believe in indoctrination on either side of the extremes.

Bigotry takes many forms.

I understand why you are offended and you are absolutely entitled to feel that way.

I am also entitled to my opinion on the matter.

As a whole, homeschooling has done more harm than good, in my opinion. And its not all about test scores and excelling academically. Education is about much more than that.

I started answering just as I saw eksmama01 respond. In general I agree there are many states (including mine) with extremely lax homeschool laws. All one has to do is take attendance and take one test per year (and no need to report results). Any there are many not teaching well and/or teaching incorrect things.

That said, I started homeschooling my youngest child mid-year this year, and will homeschool one more year until he's in high school when he will return to public school. The middle school we were at had gotten simply awful. Terrible staff turnover, months upon months with no teachers for some classes, when they would finally find a replacement teacher, they were never anywhere close to as good as the ones that left. Some kids didn't have ELA or science teachers for most of a year. Not to mention the bullying. The only work given was repetitive busy work. Not only was my child not learning anything, he was bored out of his mind, miserable, and extremely depressed. When we would watch a 5-10 minute science video at home once we started homeschooling, he told me they would spend a week covering that same few minutes of material in his science class. I'm not a teacher, I still work a full time job, and I don't profess to know what I'm doing. But, I'm absolutely certain he is getting more out of it than he was at school. And he's so much happier.

The high school we'll go to seems much better with staffing, and I've already talked to the principal about making sure we receive credit for HS level classes we're already doing. Anyway, just to say, homeschooling is not ALL bad; it's a lifeline for some of us that needed to get our kids out of a bad situation, in states and areas where public education funding and support is being methodically and intentionally eroded.

I always respect parents who use whatever means necessary to avoid a bad schooling situation for their child. In a case like this, it seems like temporary homeschooling was the bridge needed in a bad situation. This is not what I'm talking about.

I don't trust ANYONE who either was Homeschooled or who has homeschooled their own children,
I know several people that homeschool because their child's school has become dangerous. I also know someone that is currently homeschooling their 15 year old because he has cancer and it just isn't in the cards for him to physically attend school right now.

They are very trustworthy children and parents.

I do agree with you that our country's laws surrounding homeschooling need to be tightened. I believe anyone homeschooling a child needs to have someone from the local schools check in on them.

I do agree with you that our country's laws surrounding homeschooling need to be tightened. I believe anyone homeschooling a child needs to have someone from the local schools check in on them.
Agreed. Especially in light of truancy laws.

Related, organizations like IBLP really need to be taxed. Tax all churches, to be honest, especially if they want to influence politics.

We watched with our own eyes, little girls babysitting and doing laundry during the "school day". Imagine being that bold, that brainwashed that you think nobody is going to question you in the name of religion.

And yet, it's not illegal to treat women and girls as lower class in the USA, all in the name of religion.

It's the same watching girls in religions that require them to cover their heads, arms, and legs. Even in the summer heat. As their husbands, brothers, and sons get the privilege of wearing short sleeves and shorts.

All of this should be illegal in the USA. But it's not. It's not even illegal to hit a baby because they reached for their favorite toy. Michelle Duggar told of this with such great pride.

It's all very frustrating and sad.

Absolutely nothing was surprising to me. I have been disturbed by the Duggars since the first time I saw them on TV. Family members would watch the show and thought they were just wonderful. Most people's view seemed to be "their children are so well behaved that they must be doing something right". :rolleyes2 I can't even count how many arguments I have had with extended family over the Duggar's views on discipline, purity culture, and the parentification of their girls. (This was all way before any of the scandals involving Josh)

I had assumed most people knew about "blanket training" and other similar parenting practices since the 90s and just thought these methods of discipline and obedience training were fine. I think this is why whenever there are arguments on the Disboards about spanking some of us are very opposed and disturbed by how many agree with it. Many posters may have spanked once or twice only for a serious infraction, so that's what they picture when discussing spanking. But others of us are very aware of the fact that thousands of people practice and preach these types of abusive parenting methods intended to "break the child's will" and demand complete obedience. Just because it's wrapped up in Christian packaging does not make it morally right or good.

I don't trust ANYONE who either was Homeschooled or who has homeschooled their own children, especially if they used a curriculum develiped by any religious institution. There is no oversight at all, and this is how you end up with adults who are so far gone in terms of their knowledge and critical thinking skills that they think the earth is flat, among other ridiculous beliefs.
I understand the spirit of your comment, but I think you are making generalizations that are too broad. Plenty of people homeschool for non-religious reasons and are more academically demanding than public or private schools.

And I'm not really sure what you mean that you don't trust anyone who has ever been homeschooled. Do you mean that you assume they are uneducated? Religious fanatics? What if it was against their will and they went on to get their PhD and are now a renowned scientist? Would they become trustworthy then?

You are correct that in many places there is little to no oversight, but that's not universally true. Some states have very specific requirements that include submitting curriculum materials/textbooks/syllabi, quarterly reports, detailed records of instruction hours, standardized testing, etc.

My siblings were homeschooled for several years back in the 90s so I was exposed to many "crazy homeschoolers" and horrible academically-lacking religious curriculum during that period, so I definitely understand some of your concerns. But, there are also many others like my middle daughter who decided to homeschool her last two years of high school. She wound up with two years of free community college credits and a certification in early childhood education. I believe that her education was more rigorous than what she would have completed during the same time at the public high school and she's certainly not religious or conservative, so I can't really fathom why anyone would deem her untrustworthy if she mentioned that she had been homeschooled.

So how many people do you know that are homeschooled or parents who homeschool their children? Your overgeneralizing comments are kind of a slap in the face for people who take it seriously and/or homeschooling is their only option.

Tax all churches, to be honest, especially if they want to influence politics.
Technically, they are supposed to lose their tax exempt status if they do.

You can file a complaint with the IRS using form 13909. One of the violation checkboxes is "organization is involved in a political campaign"

We watched with our own eyes, little girls babysitting and doing laundry during the "school day". Imagine being that bold, that brainwashed that you think nobody is going to question you in the name of religion.
But, almost no one did and many still wouldn't for those reasons. Many viewers thought it was absolutely fantastic that these girls were "helping out" so much around the house. Many thought it was a sign of great parenting and/or good character. I believe that many even wished that their own daughters would be more like the Duggar girls.

Honestly, that was what sealed my dislike of them. That first special, Michelle explained how she weans her babies at 9 months and then hands them off to be one of the older girl's responsibility. She was literally bragging about her "buddy system" which was essentially a way to justify forcing her own daughters to raise her kids for her. How brainwashed do you have to be to think that it's right to make your CHILD have to stay up at night to care for a fussy baby so you can be free to have intercourse as much as your spouse wants in order to produce more babies?

Everyone needs to watch this documentary, especially for episode 4 regarding the "Joshua generation." Not sure they should keep referring to it as that considering what happened to him!

I can't believe Jill never received any compensation for her series. How has TLC not been investigated for false/fraudulent contracts?

The way they describe how to get away with corporal punishment was so disgusting. The talk of blanket training made me want to throw up. Everyone says well, they're great parents, look at how well-behaved their kids are. Yes, because they beat the spirit out of them!!
Regarding the “Joshua Generation”, that isn’t named after Josh Duggar. It’s a movement based on Joshua from the Bible. And I think the documentary had an axe to grind against all Christian’s based on that segment alone when speaking of the Joshua Generation.

Having said that, the IBLP movement is definitely a cult.

I watched it. I knew a lot of the stuff, but there was definitely a few eye opening moments. I did kind of chuckle when Jill had trouble remembering the names of all her siblings and realizing she missed one and having to go through again to figure out who she missed the first time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter