Shocked at loss in value of ticket credit!! What are my chances of getting a refund?

Bowen Family

Mouseketeer
We had our dream WDW trip all planned, booked, paid for and ready to go for May 2020: 6-day park hopper tickets; AKL resort stay; fast passes booked and EMH strategies all lined up; and some great ADR's, including a Spirit of Aloha birthday celebration at the Poly.

Well, COVID had other plans for the world. And all things considered, our family is extremely fortunate that a deferred vacation was one of our biggest impacts over the last 1.5 years.

So now we're looking at finally taking this trip, and wow, am I surprised and disappointed at the changes. For example, the monetary value of our 6-day park hopper ticket credit from 2020 is today equal to 3-day single park tickets. On top of half the number of park days for the same price, add no park hopper, no fast passes, modified/shortened EMH, shorter park hours, no daytime parade, no HEA, and on and on.

I'm hardly the first to point out that Disney is charging more for less, but I guess I had to price and compare for myself to really grasp it.

So we want out! The value just isn't there for us anymore, since many of the things that enticed us to book this trip are simply no more. Any thoughts from the experts here on our chances of getting a refund on our park ticket credit? Honestly, I just don't care to re-learn how to navigate the new Disney park experience. We'd now rather put the money towards a stay at Universal, and just get our Disney fix at Disney Springs and resort-hopping.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Have you tried calling them? When we rescheduled they were very accommodating I think the only thing we had to spend a little extra money on was hotel room. Tickets were no problem just shifting dates.

Did you have a package booked? Or separate room + tickets? If a package, you should be able to cancel for the full amount paid.

Stand-alone tickets are more complicated, though I believe last year they were refunding in some situations so you can certainly ask. Ticket prices are date-based (and have been for several years now, well before COVID). I'm guessing your new dates are more expensive, possibly over a holiday whereas 2020 wasn't?

I'm pretty sure tickets are non-refundable, as stated on the website. You can move the dates and pay the difference, but I doubt you'll be able to get a refund for tickets from a year and a half ago.

I'm pretty sure tickets are non-refundable, as stated on the website. You can move the dates and pay the difference, but I doubt you'll be able to get a refund for tickets from a year and a half ago.
Regardless of whether the tickets are nonrefundable, if the park was actually closed during the dates the tickets were supposed to be used, then Disney has to provide a refund. The OP paid for a service and Disney was unable to deliver that service.

I was going to say we had no issue moving a ticket date and it was purchased at a discount from an authorized seller but I was unaware there was an extension as pointed out above. Part of the problem is you can compare a multi day ticket to single day tickets the price is always much higher. You should be able to convert your tickets to the new dates for what ever the increase was but 6 day to 6 day for a lot less. I can say Disney is very strict (uncaring and maybe some other words as of late) I have Non expiring tickets that were double charged last trip I sent an email 3 1/2 weeks later the reply said I had to call... 2+ hours later (short these days) the tickets were reissued but not even an apology.... I guess I had to be happy I had a CM that knew what she was doing and able to fix it efficiently she was also very nice as well. However she did admit the new system has issues...(I think I figured that out already) No idea about a refund but judging by the customer service lately I would say you are in for an uphill battle.

Regardless of whether the tickets are nonrefundable, if the park was actually closed during the dates the tickets were supposed to be used, then Disney has to provide a refund. The OP paid for a service and Disney was unable to deliver that service.

Disney extended the expiration date for tickets dated during the closure out until 9/26/21 - the tickets could have been used as-purchased anytime up to that date. After that their normal expiration terms apply, where you keep the dollar value of the tickets and can apply it to another purchase.

There was a brief time period last year where Disney was offering refunds if you had booked during the closure. After that time period, they extended the period of time when all unused tickets could be used to September 26, 2021. It seems that you missed both of those dates, so the only suggestion I can make is to keep calling until one of the CMs give you a better rate. Good luck!

TO the OP - any refund on tickets seems unlikely as they are not date specific when you buy them. Even now with park reservations being a thing; you buy the tickets, THEN get the reservation. They advise you to check availability before purchasing tickets but that is it. We had something kinda similar - we had taken advantage of a one park-per-day, 4 park ticket deal (purchased pre-COVID) and added on the waterparks because we wanted to spend a day at BB. BB wasn't open in 2020, so we wanted to add on a 5th park day. Well, there went our awesome deal on the park tickets, because they credited us for what we paid for the tickets then started over, giving us the typical 5-day park ticket.

My advice; go, if you really hate it call it your swansong. I really doubt you get the money back on tickets though.

Tough to see how that deadline is enforceable. Statute of Limitations for contract disputes in Florida is 5 years.

Statute of Limitations just means the length of time for which you can bring a lawsuit. It has nothing to do with how long they can offer a particular benefit. Every industry I've seen (hotels, flights, etc.) with covid-related cancellations and credits/refunds has an expiration date on those as well. The only thing SOL gives you is a 5-year period to take them to court over what you feel is a breach in contract (which they would win, btw, as the terms of the ticket clearly say that it's not a guarantee and because they offered several options but OP didn't take advantage of any of them).

For example, the monetary value of our 6-day park hopper ticket credit from 2020 is today equal to 3-day single park tickets.
OP - I'm curious what were your May 2020 dates and what are the new dates? That is an extreme difference. I know prices have increased, but I didn't realize it was quite that much. Did you have a discounted ticket for 2020, or has the USD$ - CAD$ exchange changed considerably impacting the price difference?

Statute of Limitations just means the length of time for which you can bring a lawsuit. It has nothing to do with how long they can offer a particular benefit. Every industry I've seen (hotels, flights, etc.) with covid-related cancellations and credits/refunds has an expiration date on those as well. The only thing SOL gives you is a 5-year period to take them to court over what you feel is a breach in contract (which they would win, btw, as the terms of the ticket clearly say that it's not a guarantee and because they offered several options but OP didn't take advantage of any of them).
I understand what a statute of limitations is. My point is, Disney has to offer a refund here, because they breached their contract and failed to provide the service paid for. I find the argument laughable that Disney would win in this instance. I doubt it ever comes to OP needing to sue, but if he did, he would win.

So now we're looking at finally taking this trip, and wow, am I surprised and disappointed at the changes. For example, the monetary value of our 6-day park hopper ticket credit from 2020 is today equal to 3-day single park tickets.

WDW will credit you for the MSRP, not what you paid. So if you paid $1,000 but they would've been $1250 from Disney at list prices, you'd get the higher price. I know that doesn't make it all better, but could you be looking at what you paid versus what it was worth? I'd call and talk to someone. I complained about a very similar situation (about $200 in difference). Our trip was scheduled within the first 3 days of the parks/hotels being closed; I expained we couldn't get back by 9/26/21, and WDW canceled the trip, not us. We came to a fair resolution.

I understand what a statute of limitations is. My point is, Disney has to offer a refund here, because they breached their contract and failed to provide the service paid for. I find the argument laughable that Disney would win in this instance. I doubt it ever comes to OP needing to sue, but if he did, he would win.
If it was a dated ticket Disney would almost certainly have to offer a refund. The issue of course will be getting them to do it. If it was not a dated ticket it's a lot closer a call. I'm also a bit skeptical of the claim that a May 2020 6-day hopper cost the same as a current 3-day non-hopper. I know there have been price increases but this doesn't sound correct.

OP - I'm curious what were your May 2020 dates and what are the new dates? That is an extreme difference. I know prices have increased, but I didn't realize it was quite that much. Did you have a discounted ticket for 2020, or has the USD$ - CAD$ exchange changed considerably impacting the price difference?

My tickets for March 2020 were $583 (9 day PH). The same ticket for essentially the same week in 2022 is $695. A 5 day PH for that time is $579, so that's what I could get now for the 2020 price.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter