Shoe Strategy

I try to bring two pairs of sneakers as well as flip flops. Sometimes, when my feet are still dead the next morning after a long day at the parks, I absolutely loathe putting back on the shoes that did it. So the second pair of sneaks help.

I bring one pair of sneakers and one pair of 'fishing' flip flops. They are contoured to my feet and have textured grips for the rain. When it rains I toss my shoes in a plastic bag in my backpack and put on a poncho.

Come prepared for rain, 80% of the guests leave and you have the park to yourself

If your room has any sort of fridge, it vents hot air somewhere, usually along the bottom. If your shoes get wet, put them on their sides with the opening facing towards the hot air vent. A full size fridge will dry soaking wet shoes overnight. I've never tried it with a mini fridge but theoretically it should work...

With the humidity in FL, soaking wet shoes generally will not dry in a day. I wouldn't count on them drying overnight at all. I've heard stuffing them with newspaper helps but I've never tried that.

I am a planner and most would say, an overpacker, but I like having options. I will have at least 2 pairs of tennis shoes, vionic flip flops, olukai ohana flip flops, oofos oo la las for the room (flip flops), and my teva hurricanes that can get wet. I also have keen uneeks that can get wet...all are incredibly comfortable and good for walking. All that being said, I'm sure most people don't want to bring that many options...bring sandals that can get wet and comfortable walking shoes. Be prepared to change shoes in the evening if you come back to the room in the afternoon and try not to wear the same pair 2 days in a row. I find this helps with hot spots. Bring moleskin to put in places that may develop hot spots BEFORE walking a lot, use body glide on your feet to prevent the blisters. If I wear tennis shoes in the morning, I try to change to sandals later in the day or vice versa.

I go for 2 weeks and bring 2 pairs of sneakers to wear to the parks. I work on my feet so I need good support. I scotch guard them before I go and take the can with me. It can handle a good downpour before I need to respray them. So if one pair is a bit wet I just wear the other one the next day. Maybe because I am used to wearing sneakers to work all the time, I do not have the issue with my feet getting "too hot" like some others have posted. For me it would be worse to have my wet feet slide around a sandal causing friction.

I bring 2 pairs of the same type of sneaker.
If one gets wet I'll wear the dry pair the next day.
Bringing extra shoes and extra clothes into the park is very excessive in my opinion unless you have a young child that may have an accident or spill on their clothes.
For rain I use a poncho and then my clothes aren't wet.

Remember if you have a rental car and your shoes get wet, put the shoes in the car. The temp in the car will reach over 100 degree's in 20 minutes so your shoe will dry out pretty quickly. I would say in a few short hours they should be dry if the car is in the sun. I do this with our bathing suits. I hate putting on a cold wet suit. Croc's also make a pair of shoes call swiftwater Croc's they dry out really fast. The top of the shoe is cloth and the bottom is the normal plastic/rubber sole that the original Croc's have. they are comfy too. I bought a pair to wear at the pool because the pack in the suitcase a lot easier than regular Croc's. I decided to wear them one day while running errands and they are my go to everyday shoe now. THey have an arch support too.

https://www.crocs.com/p/womens-swif...=women-footwear&cid=007#q=swiftwater&start=22

Last edited:

Pair of comfortable sneakers, pair of comfortable quick drying sandals. Make sure each pair is good for all day use by testing at home before the trip. Alternate daily (or you can swap mid day if going back to the hotel / car).

I have one foot that was broken and even with surgery has never fully recovered. I plan on bringing a pair of patent leather Danskos and a pair of athletic shoes with my own orthopedic insoles for helping me get through walking each day (I really do not want to use an EVC). And bringing my moccasins for walking through the hotels to grab ice or something from concierge level. I'm spending my morning looking for one more pair of shoes to bring that will look nice with my dresses and skirts but will also work to support my dumb old foot *and* match my purse. A girl can't ask for too much!

2 pairs of park shoes that you can wear alternate days
1 pair flip flops or crocs or slides to wear in the hotel room and to the pool

Freeze a water bottle if you have a freezer in your room, and roll your arch on it at the end of a park day. Icing and stretching in one. Heaven.

I wear my croc flip flops during the day and running shoes at night. I find the alternation prevents my feet from getting too sore.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter