Should Boxing Day be a US holiday?

Should Boxing Day Be A U.S. Holiday?

• Yes

Votes: 27 51.9%
  • Also Yes

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • I like working the day after Christmas for some inexplicable reason, perhaps a character flaw

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Other (because there must always be an other)

Votes: 21 40.4%

• Total voters
No, next to nothing, other than that they came from Connecticut to the part of what was then known as Quebec which is now Ontario. Generations later, my Grandfather made his own way West at the age of 12 and homesteaded in northern Alberta. I can't say any of us have ever been too interested in genealogy. And FWIW, the most fascinating aspect of that period, as it relates to Canada, is the emancipation of slaves under British protection and their migration into Nova Scotia. If you can access a TV mini-series called the Book of Negros, it is very informative and incredibly moving, but I guess we've digressed too far from Boxing Day here now...:goodvibes
The good news is if you do ever want to look into it, you can probably go back to the 1500's/1600's. You may be shocked to find out who you are decended from or if your ancestors participated in other major historical events. If your ancestors fought for the British as a loyalist soldier, that could be your first clue, since the soldiers were given assigned plots of land due to their service. You could also have relatives in CT still if some members in your paternal branch were Patriots or Loyalists who decided to stay (many Loyalists actually did stay in the newly formed USA post A.R.). And as a side note, ancestry.com has most of the resources to look up some of this information. Genealogy is a hobby of mine, so feel free to ask me questions on my genealogy thread if you have any. I think Canada's participation in the underground railroad/anti-slavery movement (with help from the American free states) is a proud moment in your country's history. Sorry to the OP for going off topic.

The good news is if you do ever want to look into it, you can probably go back to the 1500's/1600's. You may be shocked to find out who you are decended from or if your ancestors participated in other major historical events. If your ancestors fought for the British as a loyalist soldier, that could be your first clue, since the soldiers were given assigned plots of land due to their service. You could also have relatives in CT still if some members in your paternal branch were Patriots or Loyalists who decided to stay (many Loyalists actually did stay in the newly formed USA post A.R.). And as a side note, ancestry.com has most of the resources to look up some of this information. Genealogy is a hobby of mine, so feel free to ask me questions on my genealogy thread if you have any. I think Canada's participation in the underground railroad/anti-slavery movement (with help from the American free states) is a proud moment in your country's history. Sorry to the OP for going off topic.
:teeth: To bring it all back around, I'm sure the descendants of those who came North all enjoyed Boxing Day yesterday, where it is a statutory holiday (mandatory to be given as a day off, double-pay or a day-in-lieu) in all provinces and territories except Quebec, which retains it's French, rather than British, heritage.

Black Friday or the Monday after the Superbowl are better choices if it's determined we need an extra day off.

:teeth: To bring it all back around, I'm sure the descendants of those who came North all enjoyed Boxing Day yesterday, where it is a statutory holiday (mandatory to be given as a day off, double-pay or a day-in-lieu) in all provinces and territories except Quebec, which retains it's French, rather than British, heritage.
It’s no longer a stat in Manitoba. They got rid of it when added Louis Riel Day I believe.
Mostly only unions get it now. Well I think a lot of offices have kept it. I don’t know any offices that open. But not service industry.
Too bad retail workers are not getting time and half anymore.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter