Should I buy the insurance?

mom23boys

DIS Veteran
We are going in August and I need some advice about the insurance. We are using 450 points (3 years worth) to stay this August. Should I buy the insurance (the one that comes with your conformation letter), and if so does anyone have the number I need to call? I think I threw it out.

Thanks
Sharon

The # is 1-866-690-6858
refer to ID #007004

We buy travel insurance for our cruises, including the upcoming MC. I've never bought it for our WDW vacations, but in your position, I would give serious thought to doing so. You have to buy it before the cancellation penalty period begins.

In my mind, I was just planning a WDW vacation for my 60th, which will be in Jan. '07. Due to weather, and the fact that our use year is March, I decided that I would probably buy the insurance in that instance. I was just thinking about it this morning, haven't had a chance to get DH's input.

Bobbi :flower:

PS. I just noticed, we'll be at WDW at the same time!

mom23boys said:
We are going in August and I need some advice about the insurance. We are using 450 points (3 years worth) to stay this August. Should I buy the insurance (the one that comes with your conformation letter), and if so does anyone have the number I need to call? I think I threw it out.

Thanks
Sharon

I personally don't think the travel insurance that DVC offers is a good deal. The policy will only reimburse you $5/pt and that will barely cover your maintenance fee. Their phone # is 866-690-6858, ID #007004.
Back to your question. You must be doing the 'bank & borrow' scenerio. If you had to cancel outside the 30 day holding window :wizard:, the 300 points you banked and borrowed has to be used in your current UY. Would you have enough time to either change your itineary or rent it out? Even in a worst case scenerio, I'm sure you'd be able to sell you points for more than $5/pt.

tamu91 said:
If you had to cancel outside the 30 day holding window :wizard:, the 300 points you banked and borrowed has to be used in your current UY. Would you have enough time to either change your itineary or rent it out? Even in a worst case scenerio, I'm sure you'd be able to sell you points for more than $5/pt.

Yes I think we would be able to use the points even if they went into holding, we have a August use year so we would have to use 300 points by July 31, 2006, right?

Bobbi, maybe we will se you there, I have never been to WDW in August, so this should be an adventure.

mom23boys said:
Yes I think we would be able to use the points even if they went into holding, we have a August use year so we would have to use 300 points by July 31, 2006, right?

Correct. And you'd have plenty of time to bank the 150 points from 2005 if necessary.

mom23boys said:
Yes I think we would be able to use the points even if they went into holding, we have a August use year so we would have to use 300 points by July 31, 2006, right?..(snip).....
Correct.

The trip is in August, 2005. The use year is August, so if the trip were canceled, the 150 banked points and the 150 borrowed points expire need to be used the end of July, 2006. The 150 2005 use year points could be banked.

Hope everything works out as planned.

Best wishes-

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter