Should I cancel, modify, etc.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mickeymoosea

Earning My Ears
Hi. We have a trip planned for early next month and I'm getting serious covid jitters. We went in 8/2020 and it was one of the best trips ever. I felt so safe and we were so grateful for the opportunity to walk on popular rides with no wait. Most people seem to be sharing only happy trip reports but I'm still seeing a lot of people saying they tested positive after their vacation. We booked when everything seemed stable. I figured we must be doing good if all schools are removing mask mandates. We are spending so much money and it breaks my heart that we might spend any part of it sick. I worry about covid complications too of course. We have been lucky to avoid it thus far.

We will be bringing KN95 masks but were hoping to be more relaxed about wearing them. Someone said they got covid despite an N95 everywhere. I think that's what really killed that last shred of hope for me. It's unavoidable apparently. Then I'm hearing of food poisoning and norovirus at the resort too.

I don't know what to do. I feel guilty for booking this at a bad time. I just wonder if we can have a good time and be safe somehow. I can't tell if the people talking about sickness are the minority or not. I see people taking their tiny babies and toddlers maskless having the time of their lives. I'm very jealous of that attitude. Any advice would be so needed. Thank you. Please be as kind as you can.

Just my $.02, but I feel much more comfortable going next week than I did on our trip in November 2020 - at least from a Covid perspective now that we are vaccinated. I'm more worried about the crowds, heat, love bugs, and Genie +/ILL.

If we contract Covid again (we all have had it), then we just hope it is was as mild as it was the first go around.

As long as you're all vaccinated, I wouldn't worry too much. Make sure everyone has their boosters. I'm going in two weeks and I'll be keeping my regular three-layer filtered mask on, but I won't use the N95 because I don't feel it's necessary for me. I've had covid once during delta and I got it in the hospital surrounded by heavily-masked nurses; there's no way to be sure you won't catch it, but as long as you're vaxxed and nobody is immunocompromised or has previous pulmonary issues, it shouldn't be a big deal to test positive.

Hi. We have a trip planned for early next month and I'm getting serious covid jitters. We went in 8/2020 and it was one of the best trips ever. I felt so safe and we were so grateful for the opportunity to walk on popular rides with no wait. Most people seem to be sharing only happy trip reports but I'm still seeing a lot of people saying they tested positive after their vacation. We booked when everything seemed stable. I figured we must be doing good if all schools are removing mask mandates. We are spending so much money and it breaks my heart that we might spend any part of it sick. I worry about covid complications too of course. We have been lucky to avoid it thus far.

We will be bringing KN95 masks but were hoping to be more relaxed about wearing them. Someone said they got covid despite an N95 everywhere. I think that's what really killed that last shred of hope for me. It's unavoidable apparently. Then I'm hearing of food poisoning and norovirus at the resort too.

I don't know what to do. I feel guilty for booking this at a bad time. I just wonder if we can have a good time and be safe somehow. I can't tell if the people talking about sickness are the minority or not. I see people taking their tiny babies and toddlers maskless having the time of their lives. I'm very jealous of that attitude. Any advice would be so needed. Thank you. Please be as kind as you can.

I won't ask if you're vaccinated, but if you are (and boosted), I'd feel fairly confident. I got my second dose in April 2021 and was boosted in January of this year. I've traveled to some REALLY busy places - nightclubs in Las Vegas, sporting events in Miami, bars, weddings, conventions... and I'm still one of the fortunate folks that has never contracted COVID. I think it will be a while before it's a "good time" to book again... COVID is just going to be a part of our lives like the flu methinks.

You know yourself and your family best. If you think you won't be able to enjoy yourselves because of fear, then by all means don't spend the money, but my personal advice would be to go and just take extra precautions if you're concerned.

I agree with the previous comment, as long as you're vaccinated you'll have less to worry about. I did a trip with my mom in February where we didn't wear masks and neither of us got sick. Granted both of us are vaccinated and have the boosters. I did bring my own hand sanitizer and I sanitized after every single ride. I also wore a mask on the Disney busses, airplane to Orlando and at the airport because at the time it was required. I am flying to Orlando on saturday and I plan on wearing an N95 mask regardless. Not necessarily because of Covid but I've been wearing a mask in public since the pandemic began and I have yet to get sick so I would rather wear one to avoid getting whatever sickness is floating around.

It's important to note that Disney is doing absolutely nothing in regards to Covid precautions. It's business as usual in the parks in terms of the lack of social distancing. The hand sanitizer machines across the parks were always empty during my trip so I was happy that I brought my own. If you're concerned you are more than welcome to continue wearing a mask. I slipped mine on during indoor ride queues where I was super close to others and no one said anything.

Some generally good advice already given. I have been travelling for work (Chicago and NYC), crowded places and planes - with no negative outcomes or positive tests. With that said, if you go and you aren't going to enjoy yourself in constant (legitimate) concern - then you might weigh if it will cause you more stress that will ultimately put a damper on the whole thing. Otherwise, be good with the decision, keep up on the basic hygiene and power through it. In the end, you have to do you and what you are comfortable with.

Here's my opinion...though these decision just have to feel good for yourself.

We went at the very start of February. Omicron was still spreading like wildfire, and people were starting to really be fed up with masks.

In the park, less than 1% of people were wearing masks in any area they didn't explicitly have to. Even then, people were questionable, at best, in following the rules.

Despite being vaccinated, we were very worried about our 10 day trip being ruined with a positive. We wore masks everywhere, even outdoors, we avoided almost every show until the last day or two, and we did our best to stay away from people while dining. We made it back with no covid!

Fast forward to last week. Still vaccinated, barely going anywhere outside of the house, living in an extremely rural area where most of our contacts have already been positive....and we all get it. It's been HELL. I am so incredibly grateful that we didn't get it before or during the trip.

Knowing what I know now, I have zero clue as to what I would do. Am I glad we just decided to go? Yes! Do I feel lucky that we didn't get it then? Yes! If I went again tomorrow, would I wear a mask everywhere? 100%

Thank you for the comforting and honest responses. Our young child is not vaccinated and my husband hasn't been boosted but he got his initial series in September of last year. He'll be overdue but he doesn't want to get another one before our trip. He didn't like the side effects. Most of the people saying they got sick were vaccinated so I'm trying to prepare for all scenarios in my mind. Our chief concern would be getting sick in the first place and the secondary concern is having to isolate at the hotel. Also the obvious devastation of watching our expensive anticipated trip go down the drain. Then comes a new subset of other worries lol. What do you do for food if you're stuck at the hotel? Do they accommodate you? It's a lot to think about and I was hoping the masks alone would be adequate.

We are a masking family that respects what individuals choose to do but we felt like masks worked well for our 2020 trip and everything we've done since. My husband is a HCW and keeps avoiding covid even when co-workers test positive. I really thought masks worked. Cases were 15,000 a day in Florida when we went in 2020. They seem to be in the 4000-6000 range now. I don't know what to do but it feels good just to reason it all out. Thanks again.

Just commenting to validate your feelings. I wish I had been brave enough to go when they opened and parks were empty BUT my son is high risk and it just wasn't something I was comfortable risking at that time. It is after all an optional vacation that isn't going anywhere.

I have been three times so far (post vaccine) with masks required and not. I became sick after first trip, and parks weren't even that bad. Last trips much more crowded but we wore masks and already had one booster. I still tried to avoid compacted lines and last trip did no table service and avoided dining inside by people. My son is high risk for illness and low priority for medical care so it is very important that I do what I can to keep him safe. So far he has not gotten it.

All you can do is decide what is best for you and your family!! It is a vacation and you should go excited and enjoying it, not worrying or second guessing. If you decide not to go, that is okay it will still be there. If you decide to go, do whatever you need to do to feel safer so you can enjoy yourself.

It doesn't matter what anyone else thinks, just you! Good Luck :goodvibes

Thank you for the comforting and honest responses. Our young child is not vaccinated and my husband hasn't been boosted but he got his initial series in September of last year. He'll be overdue but he doesn't want to get another one before our trip. He didn't like the side effects. Most of the people saying they got sick were vaccinated so I'm trying to prepare for all scenarios in my mind. Our chief concern would be getting sick in the first place and the secondary concern is having to isolate at the hotel. Also the obvious devastation of watching our expensive anticipated trip go down the drain. Then comes a new subset of other worries lol. What do you do for food if you're stuck at the hotel? Do they accommodate you? It's a lot to think about and I was hoping the masks alone would be adequate.

We are a masking family that respects what individuals choose to do but we felt like masks worked well for our 2020 trip and everything we've done since. My husband is a HCW and keeps avoiding covid even when co-workers test positive. I really thought masks worked. Cases were 15,000 a day in Florida when we went in 2020. They seem to be in the 4000-6000 range now. I don't know what to do but it feels good just to reason it all out. Thanks again.
We just got back from a stay at the Pop for 6 days and on Day 2, my youngest started to feel ill (complained of fatigue and sore throat) and I thought for sure it was covid and we were doomed. Thankfully it didn't seem to be covid since nobody else caught whatever she had despite sharing a room/bed with her, and she tested negative when we got back.

But your concern about getting food while stuck in a hotel room is very valid since both my wife and I were in that exact situation while our youngest tried to sleep it off, and we didn't have any options aside from the snacks we had already packed with us. Since we couldn't leave her in the room by herself, we were kinda stuck. No room service, no outside delivery options, nothing, we just had to wait until someone else got back to bring us food.

Needless to say, we were thankful it wasn't something that knocked us all out like dominos, but still bummed that she got sick in the first place and missed a day and a half of the parks. Turns out it was someone from her kindergarten class that came to school sick the day before we left and gave it to 12 other kids. More than half the class was out for 3 days straight the week we were at disney. Crazy how one questionable decision from a parent can affect the lives of so many other families.

In any case, if you're worried about getting covid while you're down there, you could always just bring a mask in your pocket so that you can pull it out and wear it as needed for indoor queues or when sharing enclosed spaces with others like on public transportation. That's what we mostly did at least, and I never felt too worried.

I'm vaxxed and boosted and spent almost two weeks extremely sick after my last trip, but I had two other trips where I didn't get it. Nothing right now is truly safe, you need to decide what your tolerance for that is.

Everyone's risk calculus is different, we booked April 2022 based on the early projections for the under 5 vaccines (thanks omicron for tanking the efficacy of that one...). We still went, had a grand old time and there were really only a couple times where I grimaced (the kid hacking her brains out on the bus from AKL to MK stands out).

If you're going to be distressed while down there and worried, then don't go. If you feel comfortable with your risk mitigation, then go?

We just got back from a stay at the Pop for 6 days and on Day 2, my youngest started to feel ill (complained of fatigue and sore throat) and I thought for sure it was covid and we were doomed. Thankfully it didn't seem to be covid since nobody else caught whatever she had despite sharing a room/bed with her, and she tested negative when we got back.

But your concern about getting food while stuck in a hotel room is very valid since both my wife and I were in that exact situation while our youngest tried to sleep it off, and we didn't have any options aside from the snacks we had already packed with us. Since we couldn't leave her in the room by herself, we were kinda stuck. No room service, no outside delivery options, nothing, we just had to wait until someone else got back to bring us food.

Needless to say, we were thankful it wasn't something that knocked us all out like dominos, but still bummed that she got sick in the first place and missed a day and a half of the parks. Turns out it was someone from her kindergarten class that came to school sick the day before we left and gave it to 12 other kids. More than half the class was out for 3 days straight the week we were at disney. Crazy how one questionable decision from a parent can affect the lives of so many other families.

In any case, if you're worried about getting covid while you're down there, you could always just bring a mask in your pocket so that you can pull it out and wear it as needed for indoor queues or when sharing enclosed spaces with others like on public transportation. That's what we mostly did at least, and I never felt too worried.
Thank you. It helps to remember that we could just as easily get sick from work, daycare or school. It's probably more likely there than Disney actually. We don't want to live in fear. The overall risk of getting sick at Disney seems shockingly small considering this is our 5th trip as a family and 8th as a couple. My husband got sick only one time and this was before covid. Our son and I got sick only because we caught what my husband had when we got home. It was our last day thankfully but we stayed at the hotel to avoid spreading it to anyone else. I had to haul it to the food court for food for only one day and it was stressful.

Here's a worst case scenario since we would want to isolate if we might have covid. The hotel doesn't accomodate drop offs for food,etc? We'd be on our own?

Just wanted to chime in with my current circumstance. I’m on day 7 after feeling Covid symptoms and testing positive last Saturday. I did not get it at WDW (my trip is at the end of the month.) I got it from my DD20 who brought it home from college the week before Easter, who then gave it to my DH, who then passed it on to DS and I. DD had lots of students in her classes testing positive in April and well before that. I really am not surprised she caught it.

My plan was to go on our trip at the end of the month and enjoy ourselves despite Covid. I kept telling myself that we have been sick on vacation before Covid was even around. And now we got Covid just living our normal lives with school and work. There is no way to 100% avoid that.

Thank you. It helps to remember that we could just as easily get sick from work, daycare or school. It's probably more likely there than Disney actually. We don't want to live in fear. The overall risk of getting sick at Disney seems shockingly small considering this is our 5th trip as a family and 8th as a couple. My husband got sick only one time and this was before covid. Our son and I got sick only because we caught what my husband had when we got home. It was our last day thankfully but we stayed at the hotel to avoid spreading it to anyone else. I had to haul it to the food court for food for only one day and it was stressful.

Here's a worst case scenario since we would want to isolate if we might have covid. The hotel doesn't accomodate drop offs for food,etc? We'd be on our own?
Depends on the hotel, but at the Pop, we were pretty much on our own, yeah.

You need to be ok with getting Covid. If you are, go and have a ball. If you are not ok getting Covid, don’t go. Will it be any better on the future? Nobody knows. Maybe or maybe this is the as good as it gets.

If you feel safe with distance from people and masks- you do you mask wise but do know there is 0 distancing in the park and you will be packed in with mostly maskless people in lines, etc. If that is going to stress you out, don’t go until you are ready for it. Vacay should not be stressful.

As for the food sickness- eh, can happen anywhere. I did get my first case Disney Property food poisoning in Feb so it is possible they’re slacking in food safety more than they used to but I wouldn’t let that scare me off.

Depends on the hotel, but at the Pop, we were pretty much on our own, yeah.
Wow. Did you attempt to get assistance from the hotel? I just wonder if they'd help if we asked. I assume they don't want sick people mucking about but maybe that's completely in the rear view mirror now lol. I remember when norovirus had us all out of commission at the same time. I'll try to pack snacks accordingly anyway.

I really don't think it matters, I hate to say this but of all the people I know that have gotten Covid post vacay anywhere and at WDW, it's always more of those that were vaccinated that got it simply bc I think more people are vaccinated now. Sadly I think we've learned it's something that really can't be avoided no matter how much we may try. I have figured it's here to stay so I just proceed with my life as usual.

We had a large work function last month at WDW and in one of the post event meetings when we were all home and on a video chat, 8 had Covid out of 12 people and all were vaccinated. I think the saving grace in all of this is that it's a mild illness for most now and something we just deal with. It still sucks but it's not been serious for the majority of people.

We've had several bouts of covid in our home and each time it gets to be less of a serious illness and more of a common cold so I'm hopeful it will remain that way. When we got home from our last trip two weeks back, my husband came down with a cold two days after, he tested twice and it was negative. We're pretty sure it was covid since he had the usual odd ball pains, fever and loss of taste and smell but he was walking around and still working from home. The rest of us didn't catch it. It's just so random.

We also went back in Aug 2020 and have been a bunch since then and you'll still see folks masking but the majority are not. Also know there are very few hand sanitizer stations so if that's important to you, make sure you bring your own. They were everywhere back in 2020 but not anymore. Just wanted you to be aware of that. As much as I loved the walk ons and no crowds back in 2020, I much prefer WDW the way it is now and back to normal. I know travel paranoia/stress can get to everyone but I've learned we can't control it so you just have to go and do what makes you feel comfortable while you're traveling and try your best to enjoy the time and not think about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter