Should I cancel, modify, etc.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
You need to be ok with getting Covid. If you are, go and have a ball. If you are not ok getting Covid, don’t go. Will it be any better on the future? Nobody knows. Maybe or maybe this is the as good as it gets.

If you feel safe with distance from people and masks- you do you mask wise but do know there is 0 distancing in the park and you will be packed in with mostly maskless people in lines, etc. If that is going to stress you out, don’t go until you are ready for it. Vacay should not be stressful.

As for the food sickness- eh, can happen anywhere. I did get my first case Disney Property food poisoning in Feb so it is possible they’re slacking in food safety more than they used to but I wouldn’t let that scare me off.
I think you nailed it. Accepting the possibility and hoping for the best will make it feel extra good if we don't get it lol.

I've been hearing about this "Disney stomach bug" since January so it seems more likely to be a mix of different things going on. The food supply chain can't be that bad all the time at Disney, can it? Hahahaha. There's no perfect time to go if this same bug seems to transcend time lol.

Wow. Did you attempt to get assistance from the hotel? I just wonder if they'd help if we asked. I assume they don't want sick people mucking about but maybe that's completely in the rear view mirror now lol. I remember when norovirus had us all out of commission at the same time. I'll try to pack snacks accordingly anyway.
No, we had granola bars, a muffin, chips, etc to hold us over for a few hours until the rest got back and we could get actual food. One of those things you don't realize could be a problem until it happens and you find yourself stuck in that situation. We also felt fortunate to be staying on property where getting transportation was convenient enough for us to split up and still make it back to the hotel at a reasonable time to tend to a sick kid. The circumstances were crummy, but looking back, they easily could've been a lot worse.

You need to be ok with getting Covid. If you are, go and have a ball. If you are not ok getting Covid, don’t go. Will it be any better on the future? Nobody knows. Maybe or maybe this is the as good as it gets.

If you feel safe with distance from people and masks- you do you mask wise but do know there is 0 distancing in the park and you will be packed in with mostly maskless people in lines, etc. If that is going to stress you out, don’t go until you are ready for it. Vacay should not be stressful.

As for the food sickness- eh, can happen anywhere. I did get my first case Disney Property food poisoning in Feb so it is possible they’re slacking in food safety more than they used to but I wouldn’t let that scare me off.
Bingo! I think that's the best way to put it. It sort of is what it is. We didn't even think once that one of us might catch covid since we've been to WDW so much since 2020 and this was just our chance moment where one of us caught it. Of all things I worry about, catching covid has been down on my list.

And you're exactly right, we're back to "filling in all available space" :) Didn't miss that back in 2020.

Bingo! I think that's the best way to put it. It sort of is what it is. We didn't even think once that one of us might catch covid since we've been to WDW so much since 2020 and this was just our chance moment where one of us caught it. Of all things I worry about, catching covid has been down on my list.

And you're exactly right, we're back to "filling in all available space" :) Didn't miss that back in 2020.
At Disneyland’s HM last month the CM packing people into the stretching room said “if you can breathe you aren’t doing it right” 😂

Wow. Did you attempt to get assistance from the hotel? I just wonder if they'd help if we asked. I assume they don't want sick people mucking about but maybe that's completely in the rear view mirror now lol. I remember when norovirus had us all out of commission at the same time. I'll try to pack snacks accordingly anyway.
Honestly I think those days are gone, they barely have enough staffing to do the minimum. I would have the information tucked away for a local grocery delivery service should you need it.

I drive and ALWAYS take some food, snacks and drinks. I travel alone with DS often, and years ago he would have days he couldn't really leave the room. It was great one trip when he got sick with fever. Of course I couldn't leave him alone to get food. I had plenty of food to get us through a couple days in the room, had housekeeping just hand me towels through the door. First day we went back to parks we returned to get well card and plush for my son from housekeeper. Those were the days ...

Hi. We have a trip planned for early next month and I'm getting serious covid jitters. We went in 8/2020 and it was one of the best trips ever. I felt so safe and we were so grateful for the opportunity to walk on popular rides with no wait. Most people seem to be sharing only happy trip reports but I'm still seeing a lot of people saying they tested positive after their vacation. We booked when everything seemed stable. I figured we must be doing good if all schools are removing mask mandates. We are spending so much money and it breaks my heart that we might spend any part of it sick. I worry about covid complications too of course. We have been lucky to avoid it thus far.

We will be bringing KN95 masks but were hoping to be more relaxed about wearing them. Someone said they got covid despite an N95 everywhere. I think that's what really killed that last shred of hope for me. It's unavoidable apparently. Then I'm hearing of food poisoning and norovirus at the resort too.

I don't know what to do. I feel guilty for booking this at a bad time. I just wonder if we can have a good time and be safe somehow. I can't tell if the people talking about sickness are the minority or not. I see people taking their tiny babies and toddlers maskless having the time of their lives. I'm very jealous of that attitude. Any advice would be so needed. Thank you. Please be as kind as you can.
I'd just keep in mind that the person likely didn't wear a mask "everywhere" - certainly not sleeping, likely not eating and likely not under all other circumstances. You can be extra safe and still catch covid, and you can also be careless and not catch it - it just depends on the situation and who you are next to.

I'd just keep in mind that the person likely didn't wear a mask "everywhere" - certainly not sleeping, likely not eating and likely not under all other circumstances. You can be extra safe and still catch covid, and you can also be careless and not catch it - it just depends on the situation and who you are next to.
Went for 13 days starting Nov 28th. Not vaccinated. Wore mask all the time except when eating at a table or in hotel room. Had great time. Planing on going again this Nov.

What does your spouse say/free about going? You're a team so you need to be on the same page. We can all say it's gonna be fine but you need to be comfortable and not in a 'I told you so' situation.

Last edited:
He passed away 3 years ago, but we have been going to the parks for decades
I am sorry - please let me rephrase my question: what do the other people you are going with say/feel? In times like these the group needs to be a team.

We just got back from the parks 10 days ago, and we all tested positive last weekend. My wife and I vaccinated and boosted, 9-year-old vaccinated, 4-year-old of course is not. We had been exceptionally careful prior to this and none of us had had it. We love Disney and had not been since Covid, so we decided to roll the dice, knowing that it was a possibility but of course hoping it wouldn’t happen.

We didn’t wait in very many long lines (we killed it with genie+!). We wore masks sometimes, and always on the buses, but not all the time everywhere.

I wouldn’t say it ruined our trip. I am very glad we went. The kids had a blast.

My feeling is, I would much rather enjoy the trip and get it that way than stay home and be infected by people who did not stay home. When you have school-age children, you lose the ability to just isolate yourself and eliminate all risk.

I agree with the person who said you need to prepare for the possibility that it could happen. You should definitely take whatever precautions help make that less likely to happen, but you need to accept the possibility that it could happen, or don’t go.

I can't speak for Disney since I don't work there, but my family does live in Florida and I've been to visit several times since the pandemic began. It's not in the rear view mirror... it's below the horizon. I live in Washington state which was one of the last places to lift restrictions (and still has high mask usage now even though indoor mandates were lifted 6 weeks ago), and there couldn't be more difference between the two states. I'd not only expect for you to be on your own if something happened, but to have some eyes rolled at you if you asked (crummy but that's my read.)

We went in September 2021 and March/April 2022. The first time with masks the 2nd without (We wore our masks when we felt "uncomfortable"). Both times I felt very safe (and I am very much in approval of mask wearing) but I did not feel as if people were too close. We also (on this past trip) used the Genie+ feature, so we did not have long line wait times. I did not observe a lot of sick people. (coughing, sneezing, etc). Since I work around a lot of elderly people, and wear my mask at work still, I always test before going back to the workplace. Both times were negative.
I attribute a lot of my lack of stressing over being in contact with sickness (of any kind) to the use of the Genie+. We made the decision to go for the "headliners" with the long wait times, rather than quantity. That allowed us to spend less time immobile, and the lesser attractions had almost no wait time - mind you, we were there during Spring break. I have no problem wearing a mask when I believe the situation requires it, just as I have no problem with people who choose not to wear one. Also, I take wipes and sanitizers with me, and I do believe that helps. I always sanitized when getting off an attraction, or after touching anything; I also found it hard to pass by any of the many sanitizers they had around the parks without using them.
I have been going to WDW for 50 years, and it has been my observation through the years that people have no problem going to the parks sick. It used to be a sort of "sideways Joke" with us to see who would come back from their vacation with some sort of illness. Between Covid, and the past several years (beginning pre Covid) of being vigilant about hand washing and sanitizing, it has been many years since we have come back sick.

Last edited:
I have been going to WDW for 50 years, and it has been my observation through the years that people have no problem going to the parks sick. It used to be a sort of "sideways Joke" with us to see who would come back from their vacation with some sort of illness. Between Covid, and the past several years (beginning pre Covid) of being vigilant about hand washing and sanitizing, it has been many years since we have come back sick.
It's not unique to WDW, people send kids to school sick, go to work sick, shop sick, it's rude and inconsiderate people. I've encountered people who've told me that they had a cold but it was ok because it wasn't Covid. I don't want anyone's nasty germs which includes all illnesses! It's a consequence of going to places with lots of people, we're bound to come across germs.

I agree with the opinion that you have to be OK with catching covid. We are going to Orlando in May, I have been careful because of spending time with the 3 month old grandson, but we need to live our lives too. Have not had covid yet. I expect to wear a mask on the plane and whenever I feel it to be necessary at Disney.

I'm nervous with our upcoming trip too. But there keep being Covid cases in my son's preschool class and if we're going to get Covid then I'd prefer it to be after Disney not everyday life. I'm just hoping we make it through our week long trip before getting sick.

We just got back from the parks 10 days ago, and we all tested positive last weekend. My wife and I vaccinated and boosted, 9-year-old vaccinated, 4-year-old of course is not. We had been exceptionally careful prior to this and none of us had had it. We love Disney and had not been since Covid, so we decided to roll the dice, knowing that it was a possibility but of course hoping it wouldn’t happen.

We didn’t wait in very many long lines (we killed it with genie+!). We wore masks sometimes, and always on the buses, but not all the time everywhere.

I wouldn’t say it ruined our trip. I am very glad we went. The kids had a blast.

My feeling is, I would much rather enjoy the trip and get it that way than stay home and be infected by people who did not stay home. When you have school-age children, you lose the ability to just isolate yourself and eliminate all risk.

I agree with the person who said you need to prepare for the possibility that it could happen. You should definitely take whatever precautions help make that less likely to happen, but you need to accept the possibility that it could happen, or don’t go.
Thanks. How long was your stay?

It's not unique to WDW, people send kids to school sick, go to work sick, shop sick, it's rude and inconsiderate people. I've encountered people who've told me that they had a cold but it was ok because it wasn't Covid. I don't want anyone's nasty germs which includes all illnesses! It's a consequence of going to places with lots of people, we're bound to come across germs.
I get that sometimes people don't know they are about to be sick but I agree. It's the way it is and people at Disney are most likely to be more lax. People that don't want to take the risk wouldn't go at all. I have to find a balance between being safe and LIVING.

This quote nails it:

If you feel safe with distance from people and masks- you do you mask wise but do know there is 0 distancing in the park and you will be packed in with mostly maskless people in lines, etc. If that is going to stress you out, don’t go until you are ready for it.

Everything else folks say - doesn't matter. We've heard it all at this point. I've done this debate many times for myself and when I decide a trip to WDW is worth the risk, I'll book it. And it does all boil down to the succinct statements above. You have to make a decision for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter