Should I get a magic key?

Hhalfacre1991

Earning My Ears
This post is for anyone who is a magic key holder, more specifically, an out of state key holder.

Right now I have an 9 night WDW trip booked for December of 2024. I’m in Washington state so going from the west coast to east coast we tend to stay for longer trips. Now I’m tossing around the idea of potentially canceling that trip and getting Magic keys and trying it out for a year.

I have an Alaska Air credit card and use miles or get cheap flights and we typically can find an an affordable hotel. If we got the keys we would probably do at least 2 “long” trips of 4nights/ 3 days and sprinkle in a few weekend trips.

Has anyone done this before? How did you work it out that fit your budget? Pros and cons?

@Katiebird beat me to it: the biggest con right now is obviously that all Keys are currently only available for renewal and we don't yet know when new purchases will open.

I'm a current Believe Key holder (but local, not out of state) and renewed just before the recent price increase. At the current pricing, I'd probably jump to an Inspire next year or cancel altogether. For me, the amount of Saturdays getting blocked out is starting to be a hindrance and I like that the Inspire still includes parking.

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the Enchant Keys are blocked ALL Saturdays, so you would need at least a Believe (with some flexibility) to "sprinkle in a few weekend trips."

I did this when we lived in Toronto, so even farther that you. I bought my key at the end of my September trip because I knew I would be back in December and April. Should have done it at the beginning but that was my own folly.

As others have said they are not available for purchase right now, and because of the price hike unless you spring for the Inspire you won’t have many weekend days, if that matters to you.

One word of caution, however - if you are used to staying onsite at WDW I would highly encourage you to stay onsite at Dland. The bubble feeling for a Disney vacation, especially if it is what you are used to, is important. Factor that cost into the total as well.

I'm a current Believe Key holder (but local, not out of state) and renewed just before the recent price increase. At the current pricing, I'd probably jump to an Inspire next year or cancel altogether. For me, the amount of Saturdays getting blocked out is starting to be a hindrance and I like that the Inspire still includes parking.
I'm in the same boat.

I have thought about it; we are in Texas. We don't usually go to DLR every year; we are WDW regulars and have APs there. However, we bought DVC at Disneyland Hotel. With that and the every other year D23 Expos, I could see us easily going every year, maybe more than once/year. I would have to see the prices and blockouts when they are available to decide. It might also depend upon where our son heads to college next year.

I have the Believe key and live in Oregon I have found it to be worth it 5 trips this year. I am getting ready to renew a little bummed about the price hike but find it worth it for this out of state visitor.

I have an Inspire key and live in Washington. We tend to do at least three 4-day trips per year plus another short trip or 4-day thrown in, so the cost is worth it for me. I had the Enchant originally but needed Saturdays after the first year, so I've upgraded since then. If you know you're going to go often, it could be worth it. I think with the amount of trips you're thinking, it could be worth it.

We live in New Mexico and have the Enchant key. The lack of Saturdays didn't seem like an issue initially but I'm leaning toward upgrading when that's possible. It's so cheap compared to when we were paying for tickets each time that has absolutely been worth it for us. I think it only takes about 4 or 5 days for us to break even on Enchant.

One word of caution, however - if you are used to staying onsite at WDW I would highly encourage you to stay onsite at Dland. The bubble feeling for a Disney vacation, especially if it is what you are used to, is important. Factor that cost into the total as well.
That is a very good point. I have both an Incredipass and Enchant Key and stay on property at WDW, but stay off property at DL to save money. I still love DL but the vibes do lean more towards local's theme park to me, perhaps it would feel different if I stayed in the bubble. It is always interesting walking to the park along with CMs on their way to work!

I will not be renewing my Enchant Key given the price hike and amount of blockout dates. I would suggest looking at blackout dates of the Believe/Inspire key and comparing to the ticket prices. I find it takes a lot more trips to DL to break even on a Magic Key than it does for an AP at WDW.

As an out-of-town MK holder, I am looking for value due to the increase in the number of trips we can take during the year. I am definitely not in a tax bracket to stay at the GCH for 12-15 nights a year.

We have done all 3 MKs (Inspire, Believe and now Enchant) in anticipation of the number of trips we plan on taking that year. If you are only doing two 4-day trips then the value may not be there to get one. The Enchant key would be the only one worthwhile but has tons of blackout dates. You also get discounts at restaurants and merchandise which is a nice perk.

In your case a 4 day hopper is around $500 per person. With that knowledge, you can quickly decide if the value of 2 trips is worth spending $1650, $1250 or $850 for the various keys.

The pros:
The more often you go the better the value.
Discounts on food and merchandise, parking and Genie +.
Perks only for MK holders (all 1,000,000 of you). Oogie Boogie early purchase window, photo ops, etc...

The cons:
Price is getting high.
Reservation system.
Only hold 4 dates with the Enchant and 6 with the others.
Have to go more often to make the keys worthwhile (limiting your vacation destinations).

It took me 18 months year of paying for a day ticket before I learned APs were the way to go if you take multiple trips. For us, it has improved overall satisfaction. Disneyland is not always magical and I like the ability to leave the park when things get a little iffy and be able to look back and say "At least we didn't pay the day ticket prices for that."

It really boils down to how many trips you are going to take. At least break even with whatever key you choose.

I have Believe key, purchased last year when window opened. By renewal time, I will have taken 5 trips of various lengths. I just came back from 6 days at WDW, which will likely be my last. It’s a place for families, not old crones like me. Too many strollers, screaming, crying, pouting, ill-behaved children for me. Parents on cell phones not watching their kids. WDW is too much effort for the payoff for me. The flight is long for me, again with the crying kids.

Debating on whether or not to renew as there are other places I want to go but it isn’t that much money and it’s a great 2-3 day getaway for me. I go solo most of the time.

I travel from Colorado. I fly Southwest exclusively and stay at CCI exclusively. I’ve tried others, it doesn’t work for me. CCI is like my second home. All this works for my lifestyle.

I have Believe key, purchased last year when window opened. By renewal time, I will have taken 5 trips of various lengths. I just came back from 6 days at WDW, which will likely be my last. It’s a place for families, not old crones like me. Too many strollers, screaming, crying, pouting, ill-behaved children for me. Parents on cell phones not watching their kids. WDW is too much effort for the payoff for me. The flight is long for me, again with the crying kids.

Debating on whether or not to renew as there are other places I want to go but it isn’t that much money and it’s a great 2-3 day getaway for me. I go solo most of the time.

I travel from Colorado. I fly Southwest exclusively and stay at CCI exclusively. I’ve tried others, it doesn’t work for me. CCI is like my second home. All this works for my lifestyle.
LOL at the "old crone" description! My girls and I watch this silly but fun Christmas rom com where the main character is a knight who is sent into the future and he uses that term. My girls tease me sometimes by calling me Old Crone. I mean, they're not wrong--I'm in my upper 60s. I, too, have a MK (Inspire) and travel several times/year, often solo, to visit DLR. I'm in NorCal and fly down.

Someday I suppose I might feel priced out or I'll not feel like going as often, but I'm planning to enjoy it as long as I can. I love the feeling of having a MK--it's like you're specially connected, though it's not exactly an exclusive club, ha ha.

LOL at the "old crone" description! My girls and I watch this silly but fun Christmas rom com where the main character is a knight who is sent into the future and he uses that term. My girls tease me sometimes by calling me Old Crone. I mean, they're not wrong--I'm in my upper 60s. I, too, have a MK (Inspire) and travel several times/year, often solo, to visit DLR. I'm in NorCal and fly down.

Someday I suppose I might feel priced out or I'll not feel like going as often, but I'm planning to enjoy it as long as I can. I love the feeling of having a MK--it's like you're specially connected, though it's not exactly an exclusive club, ha ha.
You and I are “sistas from another mista” as Guy Fiery would say! I love my key so much that there were these really cool big gold keys at Hollywood Studios that had your birth stone in them, they were keychains but mostly I just hang those type of things on my backpack. Well, of course, i didn’t buy it then cuz it was first day in park, wanted to look around, was going to buy it Saturday night after Fantasmic and they made us exit outside the park! I’m hoping I’ll find one at DL, I was so bummed.

Maybe someday our paths will cross at the park…two old crones sittin on a bench 🤣

You and I are “sistas from another mista” as Guy Fiery would say! I love my key so much that there were these really cool big gold keys at Hollywood Studios that had your birth stone in them, they were keychains but mostly I just hang those type of things on my backpack. Well, of course, i didn’t buy it then cuz it was first day in park, wanted to look around, was going to buy it Saturday night after Fantasmic and they made us exit outside the park! I’m hoping I’ll find one at DL, I was so bummed.

Maybe someday our paths will cross at the park…two old crones sittin on a bench 🤣
That would be awesome!! Or...two old crones riding Incredicoaster :D

If you can purchase, and know for a fact that you will be going at least 6 days (2 weekend trips)…. Sure. (I think that was the math breakdown). Also trips with no blackout dates.

We HAD the Believe key but didn’t renew this time. We always had 2 weekend trips plus a few day trips every few months. (We are local). But the increase of block out days… including no Saturdays from Oct to Dec at all got us.

But currently without a key and looking at pricing is painful for a family of 4.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter