Should I Get a stroller for my seven and eight year old?

JavaQueen8

Mouseketeer
We are going to disney in june. Yay!! However, my daugher, 7 and neice,8, do not get a lot of physical activity during the day, just palying on the playground during school and they are fairly wimpy. should i bring strollers for them? I cant see them walking more than a mile without a rest. help!!:yay:

Just a warning, a similar thread got a little bit nasty IMO with some posters being incredibly rude both about the children and other posters' parenting skills.

My DS will be almost 8 when we go this summer and he would rather die than go in a stroller, but he is big for his age and active. My plan is to see how he does with the walking - it obviously won't be constant anyway with waits in line, sitting down to watch shows etc. I think he will be fine, but if he isn't I will get a stroller for him.

I would advise getting the kids used to walking before they go, building up from short walks - ideally in the shoes they will wear at the parks so they break them in and don't get blisters. if you do this, I don't think you will need a stroller.

I still brought a stroller for my DS7 last year. Alot of people will have strong opinions that you should not do this but it works best for our family. My DS7 has flat feet and it is very painful for him to walk long distances. I found a great stroller two years ago that holds a child up to 55lbs. My DS only weighs 43 so he fits in it very comfortably. We will bring this same stroller this year when our DS will be 8.

In all honesty, I think it would be better for them, and healthier, to let them walk for that hour and then let them rest for a few minutes before moving on.

As a previous poster stated, you will get alot of heated opinions on this matter. Personally, unless there are some underlying health problems, I think a 7 or 8 year old should be more than capable to walk in the parks.

We are going to disney in june. Yay!! However, my daugher, 7 and neice,8, do not get a lot of physical activity during the day, just palying on the playground during school and they are fairly wimpy. should i bring strollers for them? I cant see them walking more than a mile without a rest. help!!:yay:
At 7 & 8, your kids probably don't need a stroller. Yeah, there is a lot of walking, but most normally healthy kids that age can handle it just fine. If they end up needing one you can always rent a double in the parks.

For a healthy 7 and 8 yer old, I would tell you no way! That being said, you know your kids better than anyone, will they ride in a stroller or are you going to bring it for nothing? Not many of my cousins, around the same age, would ever ride in a stroller. But, like I said, you know your kids! I am debating on whether or not to bring a stroller for my DS, he will be 5 on our next trip! Good luck and hope you have a great trip!

I have a daycare and the kids are 1, 2, 3, 5, 5, 5 and we go for 1-2 mile walks almost every single day. The only one that gets to ride in the stroller is the 1yr old. The rest of them walk and do fine. It is 2 miles roundtrip for us to get the closest park and that's the rule...if you want to go to the park you have to walk. They occassionally start to whine a little on the way back to my house but we have an amusement park about 10 min away and I am trying to get them prepared for walking around there this summer.

One of my daycare kids (5yr old) is going to Disney this September but he doesn't know it yet so part of the walking is for that too...and the fact that I am going in a few weeks and need to "train". I would get them out and start taking walks in the evening as much as you can. You might be suprised at how much they can actually walk without needing a stroller after consistently walking.

Good luck and like the PP said...you can always rent a double should the need arise or call it a day and let the kids get some rest.

last year we hit day 5 of out trip and my 9yr old was ready to collapse...he could no longer keep up with us and it was making him miserable, we ended up getting a double stroller and letting him sit in it cross legged and it worked just fine. ( I tell ya..if I could have fitted in one and convinced my hubby to push me I would have lol). Do what you think is best for your kids. Its your kids and your decision..we seen tons of other bigger kids in strollers so my 9yr old felt fine with it. Disney is a whole different barrell of fish and the amount of walking is tremendous. I got flamed earlier for posting this on another thread but you learn to ignore the negative things people say on here and just do whats best for you, there is always someone out there just waiting to put their two cents worth in about what they think of your kid and the way you should bring them up etc.. do what you feel is good for them and forget eveyone else and most of all have a wonderful vacation:thumbsup2

No kids of my own here & honestly it's nobody's business but yours.

I agree that normal healthy kids that age don't need a stroller. I think the excitement of Disney & sugar will be giving them extra energy. Also don't point things out like how far you have walked or how much further to go.

Another thing to consider--will they even WANT a stroller if they see other kids their age not in one? How will they feel if people stare at them (let's be honest, it will probably happen). Some kids don't care, some are very self concious.

Just a warning, a similar thread got a little bit nasty IMO with some posters being incredibly rude both about the children and other posters' parenting skills.

As a previous poster stated, you will get alot of heated opinions on this matter.

Don't have much to add to the main point of this topic but yes you will get many people questioning your parenting skills.

I only stress this because you are new here and may not know that this is a hot button issue. The only one worse concerning kids is putting them on a leash.

In fact if you didn't have a few other normal posts I would have assumed you were a troll and just created an account and posted to stir the pot.

So again you are going to get most people saying no and some flaming you, just don't let it get to you. :thumbsup2

That is your decision. Despite the posts that Im sure will follow, it is no ones business but yours. I would take into consideration how the girls will feel, though. You could always try eithout and rent one if it doesn't work out.

here's a point of view with a twist, lol. i was a very active child, more than capable of walking an amusement park, but i simply could not keep up with the commando vacation schedule of my stepmother at wdw. i would have been mortified anywhere else in the world of being in a stroller, but i remember being in one until i was maybe 8 or 9 in disney world. i didn't care--i was riding in the shade, and i didn't have to get yelled at for not keeping up. i remember the last couple years i had to hang my feet over the top.... but you had to be insane to keep up with her. i was tiny and very short so that worked in my favor as well. she told me when we entered the park--if you can't keep up, you're going in a stroller--fine with me :rotfl:

there are times now when i wish i would still fit :rotfl2::lmao:

your family knows best. maybe if ask your child what they think?? don't worry about what others think--do what is good for your family and your trip!!

Totally up to you. My DD has been out of a stroller since she was 5, and she is not an outdoorsy kind of kid.
If we start at rope drop and go non stop, she starts whining around 7 pm....
She'll be 9 this trip.
I would hate to put her in a stroller - having a stroller is a big hindrance in the parks, especially if they are crowded. You have to maneuver them through traffic, park them, then go get them....just a pain IMO...
You might want to go without it the first day and not even tell the kids it's an option. If they wind up being really put out, then just rent one there when you need it.

If they are healthy, no. Kids that age should be able to walk on their own. If they get tired, it's time to take a break.

Based on the OP's post count and the question at hand, I'm mostly certain this is a facetious post.

However, should this be a question asked in earnest: if your children are that old and are in such poor physical shape that they would need a stroller, you may want to put your vacation on hold and take them to see a doctor for a physical exam.

That is your decision. Despite the posts that Im sure will follow, it is no ones business but yours.
Wrong. Once it becomes a topic on a public message board it becomes the business of anyone wishing to weigh in.

This thread will get heated... but for one who has used a stroller when my kids were a bit older, I say do what you want. I would not bring one, but rather spend the money to rent a double stroller. They push very smoothly and are covered, keeping them out of the sun. Did my girls use it the whole trip, no... but it was well worth the money for me.

DH and I are bringing a stroller for our 5 year old for our trip in May. He may walk a lot of the time, but I want a plan B for when he gets tired and the rest of us are still energetic enough to go.

You asked the question, so you must want the opinions, but I would say ignore the Negative Nancys. It's your vacation, you do what suits you.

Based on the OP's post count and the question at hand, I'm mostly certain this is a facetious post.

However, should this be a question asked in earnest: if your children are that old and are in such poor physical shape that they would need a stroller, you may want to put your vacation on hold and take them to see a doctor for a physical exam.

Wrong. Once it becomes a topic on a public message board it becomes the business of anyone wishing to weigh in.

I see this comment a lot. I have to say, I lurked here quite a while before I started posting myself. I started when I had a legitimate question regarding my own vacation. I don't see why one would think this OP is a troll based on this post. I've wondered the same thing about my 5 year old and he's NOT out of shape.

And the comment about their age and their physical abilities is out of line. IMO your post is trollish and looking for conflict.

I could only find one other post in the search and it was legit, about taking the train at RD. So just naive on whats a hot button here.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter