• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Should I give up BOG lunch and book Skipper Canteen instead?

LuvTigger

DIS Veteran
I have a lunch ADR at BOG and also a dinner ADR at BOG (on different days). I decided to keep both, even though what I really wanted was dinner (initially I could only get a lunch ADR since I booked my trip fairly late). I haven't been to BOG and thought it would give me a chance to try different foods (french onion soup at lunch, charcuterie app at dinner) and see the difference between QSR and TS.

However, I keep reading great reviews about Skipper Canteen. Should I cancel my BOG lunch and try Skipper Canteen instead? Part of my reluctance is that I am Asian from Hawaii, where we have lots of good Asian food, and I can be easily disappointed by food that is billed as Asian or Asian Fusion, although I do see that they have other types of food on the menu as well.

I would go with BOG lunch and Skipper Canteen for dinner. Both restaurants are good but I prefer BOG for lunch over dinner.

The cachapas app at Skippers is delicious, and it's not Asian. They do have some Asian inspired dishes. I like the fish dishes and they do tend to be Asian-inspired. It's pretty good for theme park dining, likely a better dinner option than BOG.

We are BOG lunch people, also. Skipper Canteen is great for dinner. Even the non-alcoholic drinks are interesting...

I think that both restaurants are worth visiting, so unless you really want to meet the Beast, I would drop BOG dinner and book Skipper instead.

I would definitely go with Skipper's Canteen over BOG for lunch, much better food and I actually prefer the atmosphere in there to BOG, which I find really loud. You already have BOG dinner on another day, so you will get a chance to experience the restaurant then.

I would do the Skipper lunch. We really enjoy the food and atmosphere there. The food at BOG lunch is good, but I find the restaurant to be super chaotic at lunch time.

I would do Skipper at one of the meals. We have done lunch and dinner and enjoy both. Not a big fan of BoG, but have not tried it since changing to Prix Fixe, so can't comment on keeping your dinner there.

I would definitely do Skipper for lunch. We enjoyed our meal there the last time we went. Not something we'd repeat every year, but definitely a solid choice at MK.

BOG lunch food is nothing to write home about, and in my opinion it's only popular because of 1) the theming of the restaurant and 2) the fact that the other QS lunch options at MK are so horrendously bad (I'm looking at you, Cosmic Ray), suddenly even mediocrity seems like something special. If you're already going to enjoy the BOG experience at dinner, there is ZERO reason to go back there for lunch.

Thank you for your honest feedback, everyone! I ended up keeping the BOG dinner and changing the lunch to Skipper Canteen (changing the lunch worked out better for my plans).

I look forward to trying them both!!

Great! I think you made the right choice. We love Skipper Canteen, great food, love the CM's and atmosphere.

I also love BOG lunch. It’s one of my fav meals. We’ve been doing it twice the past few trips. French onion soup, french dip sandwich and strawberry cheesecake cupcake. SO good.

Edit: just saw you switched! Be sure to report back, I’ve been curious about it just not a very adventurous eater.

i chose to do just this today. everyone seems so down on BOG and im having a hard time wanting anything on the lunch menu. i dont have time in my trip to do both, so i went with skipper :)

no kids with me so the chaos and lack of cocktails just had me wanting to go less and less...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter