Should I go another trip this year in August/September?

#1MMFan

Space Mountain Maniac
Ok, should we or shouldn't we? This is long - sorry!

Alright, alright, I'm just back from WDW - WL concierge even to be precise. Spent 10 days there at end of March. Now I'm on a complete downer. Got home, worked four night shifts on the trot, then started thinking about our next trip. It had been one year in January since our last WDW visit. Okay, since Jan 2002 I'd been to Toronto in June 2002 and Disneyland California in October 2002. So, I'm spoiled. I needed a WDW vacation and a trip to Florida mall!

Sister and I are both full time at work - same type of job - and mom is part time. Dad doesn't like Disney - not surprising if you knew him. The other day, I'm sitting having a coffee in a coffee shop with DM and DS and DS mentions about getting annual leave in August time and if I'd be able to do that. I say, I think DM might flip thinking about going back so soon from a financial point of view. And, at one point - having been in January and been spoiled from the weather and crowd point of view - my DM had said we wouldn't go back in summer months - she couldn't handle it. So, naturally I'm really surprised when DM says, yes, she had thought about August or perhaps September.

October isn't suitable as DS and I have an exam in Canada - most likely Vancouver - in November so will be studying. I suggest that I'd been thinking about going to do our exam and then flying to either LA or Orlando and continuing our vacation there - this is met with some approval but really I haven't thought this out. And then I realise that if we go to LA, which is realistically the more feasible option coming from Vancouver then I'd not see WDW for another year most likely - I can feel the anxiety creeping up already.

So then, I price the flights back home and discover that not only are multiple destination tickets an absolute fortune, but I've also forgotten that I'd have all the books with me to Vancouver that I'd been studying - and they way a TON. Not very convenient for an extended vacation at WDW.

So now, having slightly swayed my DS and DM away from Aug/Sept I'm now thinking how I can get them back round to thinking that way again. Our OES dog turns one in mid September so we'd need to be home for that, and I've priced flights from 23rd August returning 6th September. They are double what I paid for my last vacation I just returned from. Argh. Also, mom got a taste for concierge and I'm not sure that my finances could stretch to all that.

What I want to know is what your thoughts are on going August. My job is a sixth month rotation so I change jobs every six months. - next change is the beginning of August! So, I couldn't go away in early August as I'll need some time to settle in the new job. Sister is probably locuming from August so her annual leave will be entirely up to her. Mom can take annual leave more or less when she wants it.

We've not had two weeks together away for since 1999 so we are really badly in need of that, but... ? Should we go for it? Do you think flight prices will drop? What about AP rates historically at that time of year?

One thousand questions, one hopeful mouse-lover!

#1MMFan

By the way, family is me (25), DS (28), DM (a young 59)

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Okay, just to make sure you all understand DS = Dear sister, and DM = Dear Mom. In case you think I have managed to have offspring older than me! LOL

Offspring ... no not nearly on the horizon. Definitely not at the moment!!

John

I personally think early September is great. Late August might be good too because all the Southern schools go back in August.

Wow-

I really don't know what to tell you. Am not the person to ask, b/c I would always say, if you can go then go!!

I am having very serious withdrawal pains myself. My last trip to WDW was in Sept. of last year. In April of last year we had moved away from Central FL to Indy. It was sooooo hard going from having APs and going every couple of weekends to having to actually plan a trip and save money, and schedule time for it :rolleyes: ***sigh*** as you can see by my countdown timer, my next trip is a long ways away. This is because SO and I are currently in the process of building a house this year, and a trip to WDW does not fit into those plans. So right now I have to console myself by working hard to plan this Holiday 2004 trip...but then planning the trip is a whole lot of fun as well. I think that if you have the money to take this trip and don't have to float the balance on a credit card, or steal from your retirement fund then you should go. My mother's motto is that she can't take it (money) with her when she dies so she might as well have a good time now!!

September is a nice time of year to go to WDW. There are generally good discounts to be found for hotel rates. I don't know about your airline tickets. I have an aunt who flies from Scotland to Orlando every year around the holidays and her tickets are upwards of $1000 each time.

My brother and SIL got married one August and honeymooned at WDW.:) They said August is a good time to go.:) Not very crowded at all.

I say go and have fun.:bounce:

OK John, I knew you were going to crack, I just knew it! LOL.
Here is my opinion on going in August....IT'S HOT!!! and I mean HOT.
We did it 2 years ago and never again! we went when the schools were supposed to be in session in the south, didn't make any difference, it was crowded and the coolest day was 97 degrees which for us northerners made it unbearable.
Having gone at different times of the year I will tell you the first week of December was the best time I found, the crowds were low and the weather was just perfect.
Historically I have been able to get discount codes almost all the times , I would not worry about that , the big issue for you will be the flights.
Personally because of the heat and the crowds I would not go in August , to me that's the perfect combination for a miserable trip, but that's just me.
But I know what you are doing....you are trying to hook up with Tracy's cousin....I just know it !!! ROFL.

Hi!

Thanks for the opinions so far. LOL Kanga. Well, I'm not sure what to say.

We would love a trip in November December time, but like everyone else we have some commitments that make it a slightly less good time of year ... Mags and I are in a community orchestra that does a concert at the beginning of December - we play a significant role in that orchestra and, as I don't manage to do a whole lot of concerts any more (I used to average one or two per month back at school age) I like to make sure I can manage these ones! After that, there's all the shopping to do for Christmas!

I have survived August before (just!) - but I've always found July worse. *sigh*, all I know is that I don't want to leave it till some time in 2004 before my next trip! And as someone said... you can't take it with you.

I think I'll continue to investigate this. And continue watching the flight prices - currently £700.00 ($1150!)

John :bounce:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter