Should I go to Universal for EPA, or go straight to IOA for Hagrids??

MinnieMe2669

It's Me, MemoryMakers2669
With only Universal having the early park admission on the day I am going, can we get anything done there before heading to IOA for Hagrids? We want to be able to get on Hagrids as early as possible, but can't find anything on how to do that when IOA doesn't have EPA and Uni does.

Last edited:
If hagrids is your priority then start at IOA. You'll need to be there at least an hour before opening if you want to ride Hagrids. You didn't mention this but Hogwarts express won't get you to IOA faster than if you came in through the front.

My daughter did ask that actually that, about HE taking you over. Glad to know that isn't an option.

I think I have seen it posted on here previously (but I may have misread), but I understood that Hagrid’s generally runs a VL on days when there is no EA in IOA. If that’s the case, and since you can obtain a VL pass from anywhere on property, wouldn’t it be better to go to UF for EA (and grab your Hagrid’s VL while there)?

I think I have seen it posted on here previously (but I may have misread), but I understood that Hagrid’s generally runs a VL on days when there is no EA in IOA. If that’s the case, and since you can obtain a VL pass from anywhere on property, wouldn’t it be better to go to UF for EA (and grab your Hagrid’s VL while there)?
See, this is what I want to know! I have tried searching for a good plan for this, but haven't found one yet.

So I have a really dumb question. Hagrids has a regular stand by line all day, correct?? You don't have to have a Virtual Pass, or do you? The first time we went in January, we got there before opening (EPA) and went straight there. Got on fairly quickly, but also got a VP for later that morning.

So I have a really dumb question. Hagrids has a regular stand by line all day, correct?? You don't have to have a Virtual Pass, or do you? The first time we went in January, we got there before opening (EPA) and went straight there. Got on fairly quickly, but also got a VP for later that morning.
No, it doesn't always have a regular stand by line. It is either stand by OR virtual pass. If it goes virtual you can not get in line stand by. It goes virtual when it is really crowded/the line gets too long for the extended que.

The issue with Hagrid's is if you don't get in line as soon as the park opens, it fills up to about a 2 hour wait and then goes virtual for the rest of the day. At that point, it's almost impossible to grab a spot, they fill up in seconds (or less) as soon as they become available.

I would also like to start in Diagon Alley more out of sentiment, so our kids can follow the experience of Harry in the books, and also to take advantage of a less crowded DA for casting spells once the kids get their wands. I'm willing to gamble on the Hagrid's VP since I was a quick draw on ROTR over at Hollywood Studios, my concern is that Hagrid's might not go to VP on that day and then we'll have to wait in the SB line. I'm also wondering how they are going to handle the new Velociraptor ride. Will you be able to hold VPs for both, or just one or the other? I hope it draws away enough locals that we stand a good chance at a Hagrid's VP.

I would also like to start in Diagon Alley more out of sentiment, so our kids can follow the experience of Harry in the books, and also to take advantage of a less crowded DA for casting spells once the kids get their wands. I'm willing to gamble on the Hagrid's VP since I was a quick draw on ROTR over at Hollywood Studios, my concern is that Hagrid's might not go to VP on that day and then we'll have to wait in the SB line. I'm also wondering how they are going to handle the new Velociraptor ride. Will you be able to hold VPs for both, or just one or the other? I hope it draws away enough locals that we stand a good chance at a Hagrid's VP.
I don't think there has been a day when Hagrid's hasn't gone to VQ. The line was designed before the current social distancing policies, so they've gone through and added markers 6 ft away, but in some places they're 12 to stagger during switch backs (not that everyone pays attention to markers, but that's another issue). Anyway, there's just not enough space in the queue to have lines that go on for more than 120-150 minutes. That wait time was the point during EPA that we saw SB switch over to VQ. My experience with VQ was that we typically waited about an hour after getting in line. That presumes no shutdowns during the wait. In regards to being fast on the draw, that will help, but keep in mind that the VQ spots don't always drop exactly at the expected time, so you might spend a half hour checking and refreshing. You will probably want to start checking for VQ about 15 minutes prior to the expected drop.

In theory, UO will probably limit people to one VQ at a time, so you can't get a spot for Hagrid's until you use the one for Velocicoaster. In practice, families will just use multiple phones, and one person will go for Hagrid's and another for Velocicoaster. If UO decides to open both Hagrid's and Velocicoaster during EPA, that's something that actually would make a difference because people would have to choose one SB line or the other. Also given that both rides are likely to be long-ish waits even when people return with VQ, some people might decide they only want to do one or the other on a given day. People might get stuck in one line, and miss their return window (and either dump their spot in the other line for someone to possibly pick up last minute, or just no-show and shorten the line for those waiting).

If hagrids is your priority then start at IOA. You'll need to be there at least an hour before opening if you want to ride Hagrids. You didn't mention this but Hogwarts express won't get you to IOA faster than if you came in through the front.

We will be there in early May with Express Pass looking at the same issue regarding EPA only happening in Studios. A Universal Adults Only Facebook group said getting on the first Hogwarts Express train WOULD get us ahead of the crowds. I'm happy to hear another person's opinion regarding this as our plan was to be on the first HE train then go right over to Hagrids.

We will be there in early May with Express Pass looking at the same issue regarding EPA only happening in Studios. A Universal Adults Only Facebook group said getting on the first Hogwarts Express train WOULD get us ahead of the crowds. I'm happy to hear another person's opinion regarding this as our plan was to be on the first HE train then go right over to Hagrids.
So here is the thing: during EPA Express Pass doesn't work, so you are competing with all the other folks to get into rides. MAYBE you could get on the first train and maybe you can't. For the foreseeable future, I would plan on using the virtual line for Hagrid's. If you are on property you can try from your hotel room. We were able to get virtual passe3s from within the park but needed to wait for one of the drop times. It is competitive. And even when we got virtual line pass, we still had to wait on line for a whole hour to get to the ride. When Velocicoaster opens that might take some pressure off, but that is not till June.

So I am confused as to whether there is any stand-by line if there is no EPA. I have read that they open the stand-by line at RD until it fills and then close it for VL and I have also read that there is no stand-by at RD if there is no EPA. If we have Express (staying on-site) and there is no stand-by at Hagrid's for RD when Universal has Early Opening, then is there any reason to get there super early for RD?

I think we're just going to have to wait and see what they do when EPA switches over from IOA to US. I think it's been a few months since EPA has been only at US, and no guarantee they'll make the same choices this time.

Also, Hagrid's is prone to malfunctions. Last week, we went to EPA, and they weren't letting anyone into Hagrid's because it was down. Some people formed an unofficial line along the outside of the queue space from around the Hogwart's Express back to Lost Continent, and different TMs gave conflicting answers as to whether or not that would be the official line when Hagrid's came back on, or if there was really, truly no line. Then some CMs told the crowd of people waiting around the fountain area in Lost Continent that they had to disperse and couldn't loiter there and there was no line. Some people left, some refused. Then a few minutes later, the TMs reversed course and allowed people to enter the queue. The people who had dispersed were out of luck, and the people towards the front of the unofficial line had to double back to the Lost Continent to get in the real line. The kicker is the ride was still down. As far as I can tell, they opened the line purely as a crowd control measure because it was EPA so most of the park was closed and Hogsmeade couldn't handle the crowds without funneling some off into the queue space.

My guess (and it's only a guess) is that if Hagrid's is up and running well, it will be SB at rope drop until the queue is filled. If Hagrid's is being glitchy, they'll hold off on opening it and drop VQ for their best guesstimate of when it will be ready.

This has been very consistent for the past few months - when the park opens (either EPA or regular) Hagrid is a standby ride. The volume of people that go directly to it means that the wait time will immediatedly be posted at 60 minutes or higher. Because of the amount of people, the line is extended to the talking fountain which has become the de facto starting place all day. If it is EPA, the VQ doesn't start immediately, but at regular park opening unless there are so many people in line that they have to cut it off. If you go to US first, you will be behind all of the poeple who have fast walked (or run) from the gates, which normally open about 15 minutes prior to posted time. The Hogwarts Express does not run immediately during EPA at US, as many of the other rides open at staggered times too. Going to US first means the only way you will get on Hagrids is VQ, and if you get the first set of VQ's could mean anywhere between 9:30 and 10:55 as your return time. It takes a bit of time to to get over to Hagrid from US, and even if you use the HE, it will be close to half an hour if the line is short. The line for Hagrid will still be a minimum of 30 minutes, and longer when it is not running properly, which is pretty often. You can tell if it is glitchy in line by how ofter you move forward. You should move about 8 "stand here" markers every couple of minutes. If you are standing still for 5 minutes at a time and only move sporadically, it is not running properly. If it goes down, you hear an announcement about the lesson being delayed, and that means sit down, because you have 20 minutes of nothing (at least). Remember that EP does not work on this ride ever, so it is standby at Rope Drop, or VQ only. and if you want rope drop, be there 60 minutes before the official gate opening time - this will get you on and off in the first 10 minutes of park open as long as the ride is running.

So I am confused as to whether there is any stand-by line if there is no EPA. I have read that they open the stand-by line at RD until it fills and then close it for VL and I have also read that there is no stand-by at RD if there is no EPA. If we have Express (staying on-site) and there is no stand-by at Hagrid's for RD when Universal has Early Opening, then is there any reason to get there super early for RD?
From what I can tell, Hagrid's tends to be a virtual line only unless there is EPA at IOA, BUT things change all the time so it is a moving target. As far as EPA, if you are staying at a premium hotel and have a fast pass, we have not found a benefit to early admission - we prefer to have a more leisurely morning and not get there so early. Especially with UO EPA where almost nothing is open and everything that is open is super crowded and long lines, whereas with a fast pass you could breeze through The only reason to go early would be if you only have one day to see both parks, then maybe you would want an early start.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter