Should I just "Go with it?"

aerfirmie

Earning My Ears
Hi. Visited a resort and fell in love with it. Stayed with DVC points. A single roach came out of one of the vents. The cast member I told did not seem embarrased or apologetic but said she would tell maintenance. Can you confirm that I am over-reacting and that this is a normal Florida thing?

Yes it’s normal. I would probably politely joke about it to some blue umbrellas until someone comped me an anytime pass or two, but that’s just the jerk of a guy I am. However, if it is a single roach single incident no other evidence of mess/dirt/ etc then it’s definitely not something to worry about and is not, by itself, a sign of underlying issues.

They should have been apologetic (I don't think embarrassed really) but a single stray roach in Florida isn't a cleanliness issue, they get around.

Hi. Visited a resort and fell in love with it. Stayed with DVC points. A single roach came out of one of the vents. The cast member I told did not seem embarrased or apologetic but said she would tell maintenance. Can you confirm that I am over-reacting and that this is a normal Florida thing?
Yes it’s normal. I would probably politely joke about it to some blue umbrellas until someone comped me an anytime pass or two, but that’s just the jerk of a guy I am. However, if it is a single roach single incident no other evidence of mess/dirt/ etc then it’s definitely not something to worry about and is not, by itself, a sign of underlying issues.
They should have been apologetic (I don't think embarrassed really) but a single stray roach in Florida isn't a cleanliness issue, they get around.

Bugs are common in warm areas. But still, so is pest control.

I've been staying in Disney resorts since 1988, and haven't seen a roach. I have had a gecko or two in my rooms.

I'm not surprised to hear that a roach made it in, but, it should be reported to make sure the room is treated. If you see one, there are a thousand more in hiding.

Were you standing under the vent and hit by the roach? You may have been Florida'd. I would let the front desk know so they can make sure pest control visits your unit/general area.

I still remember when I was a kid (in the lovely 80's) staying at GF with my grandparents when a giant spider (think banana, but may have been some other kind) held us hostage from going into the bathroom lol. My grandma was on the phone with the front desk saying a spider the size of a bird won't let us near the toilet :P! The joys of Florida. It's still a family story that gets a chuckle out of everyone and a running joke when we stay at VGF.

Think of all the food people bring to units and rooms. Pest control can only do so much without perpetual fog and gas masks for all.

You're not a true Floridian until you've been terrified in a shower with a palmetto bug the size of a small bird flying around (yes they fly for the un- initiated).
We had a few in our house after it was completed. While they were working on it the contractors would leave the doors open. Once we moved in, a simple treatment of OTC perimeter spray took care of them. Haven't seen any more in over 5 years. Geckos, yeah they get in, die, dry out and are all flat like 1D art. Cuban tree frogs too. It's just Florida.

They are prevalent in SC & Georgia also. Having one fly out of a ceiling vent as I was moving into my first place in Charleston caused me to get my first cat.

One tike at BWV there was a family.
The mom was completely losing her mind .
Yelling about love bugs.
Demanding a young life guard to do something to get rid of them!!!

Roaches happen in Florida. My mom's house was so clean you could eat off of any surface you chose, and still she had roaches. Because it was Florida.

Also palmetto bugs, which look like roaches and then they fly.

If you were NOT in the South, then be concerned. But you are, so just chalk it up to Florida. Especially if it was the flying kind.

Welp there goes my retirement plans of leaving CT for FL!

Hairspray works well on them. That was my solution when visiting from the west coast while in college, being up until 3am, and having them fly around. Didn't want to wake them and I cannot squash things like that. So, hairspray it was.

We had 3 in our room (all in the same 1 hr span) at the Contemporary and the front desk was supremely unhelpful. We live in Charleston, so I'm no stranger to roaches, but there are plenty of ways to control them and they shouldn't be a common occurrence. The front desk told me that Disney chooses not to spray for them at the hotels (not sure if that was a recent cost-saving measure or whether it is even true, just reporting what I was told), but that they would tell maintenance and they could put traps in the room the next day. I don't know whether that actually happened because we were moving to Grand Floridian the next day anyways (where there were zero roaches).

Hairspray works well on them. That was my solution when visiting from the west coast while in college, being up until 3am, and having them fly around. Didn't want to wake them and I cannot squash things like that. So, hairspray it was.
Had to laugh at this, having spent most of my life in New Orleans. When I had my own place, I always had roach spray, but I was never sure whether the poison killed them or they drowned in the spray! :p

Windex works well on flying bugs too.

And the geckos (we have a vacay place in FL)....those suckers run inside when you open the door and then you spend 45 mins pulling sofas and bookshelves away from the walls and chasing them with a broom. Yes, you can just grab them up and throw back outside (they won't bite). But I am not that adventurous. So I researched and learned to take a spray bottle and put water and some chili pepper sauce. Spray across doorways. Will smell like hot sauce for a couple days but it does work. Careful not to breath it in as spraying or not to wipe your eyes until after washing hands. Lol.

I was standing in the bathroom a few years back in a suite in the Ali'i Tower at the Hilton Hawaiian Village (separate, private-entrance Concierge tower right on the sand on Waikiki), just doing my business at 2 am, when a cockroach the size of a small mouse walked across my bare foot. Talk about a shock... It happens everywhere, especially warm tropical climates.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter