Should I rent a scooter ? Not able to get DAS ?

coastermom

<font color=red>Proud Redhead<br><font color=peach
Hello ,

I have degenerative arthritis of my lower spine where it is hard to sit or stand for long periods of time I know Disney considers this a mobility issue but in the last two weeks we have just learned that I also have an early stage of breast cancer that will require me to have radiation treatments. The treatments have the ability to make me very tired and I would have to limit my sun exposure as much as I can . My question is if explained at WDW is there a chance to get a DAS pass or would you skip it and just get the scooter ? I have to say all other amusement parks we have visited in the past have given me an ADA pass based upon my spinal issue alone.

To get a DAS, you need to explain why you can’t wait in a standard line. Fatigue can be addressed with a wheelchair or scooter, and you’ll be in the sun more outside of lines than in lines.

You can certainly ask, but they won’t care about a diagnosis, they care about need.

As for other parks and how they handle your disability, there could be any number of reasons why they handle it differently than Disney, but in the end, it doesn’t really matter, as there is no requirement to provide a preferred accommodation.

The keeping out of the sun is definitely a good reason for the DAS, at least in my opinion. Not all queues are in the sun, but many are, especially the extended queues.

So no matter what I would go to get a DAS and be sure to explain why it isn't mobility related.

Additionally, I would rent an ECV, if you rent from Gold Mobility you can get a sunshade as your free accessory, which would further help with keeping out of the sun as much as possible. But the ECV will help with the easily getting tired, as Disney World is A LOT of walking. Gold Mobility will meet you at your resort as you are getting off Magical Express or on your schedule, whatever works best for you. They have amazing customer service and the quality of their equipment can't be beat. If you get the Victory 10, you also get a fan and cell phone holder in addition to the undercarriage lighting, extended battery, cup holder, etc.

Just my opinion of course, but it's what I would do in this situation.

The keeping out of the sun is definitely a good reason for the DAS, at least in my opinion. Not all queues are in the sun, but many are, especially the extended queues.
But this has to be balanced with virtually always being out in the sun when not in lines - even if going to a different venue, you need to be in the sun to get there. And back. And to & from restaurants. Even First Aid. A better solution might be a wide-brimmed hat.

It doesn't hurt to ask for the DAS and explain your issues and why you need it. The worst they can say is no. I think you should rent a scooter regardless, there is a lot of walking at Disney, even just from the buses to the entrance, and you'll want to conserve your energy as much as you can. There's also very few places to sit, having the ECV as a place I can just sit and rest in is a lifesaver! I usually park it and walk unless the queue is really long, like TSM etc.

But this has to be balanced with virtually always being out in the sun when not in lines - even if going to a different venue, you need to be in the sun to get there. And back. And to & from restaurants. Even First Aid. A better solution might be a wide-brimmed hat.
A wide brimmed hat will help as well, not saying that shouldn't be used, but it doesn't help keep out of the sun as much as having a DAS where they could wait in shops, restaurants and other indoor areas.

Notice I also suggested an ECV with a sunshade to also help.

If you think DAS will help you then ask for it. I have found that the CMs in the park are generally more generous with handing out the DAS than people on this site will lead you to believe. i would definitely plan on getting a scooter either way.

They still have to get to and from the shops, restaurants, and other areas - in the sun. Probably more time in the sun than simply waiting in the (vast?) majority of attraction lines. While I know people swear by the sunshade, isn't it only effective when the sun is at certain angles?

They still have to get to and from the shops, restaurants, and other areas - in the sun. Probably more time in the sun than simply waiting in the (vast?) majority of attraction lines. While I know people swear by the sunshade, isn't it only effective when the sun is at certain angles?
Same goes for a wide brimmed hat and you still have to get from point A to point B no matter what, so waiting out if the sun helps reduce this. Really, I don't think any one of these options on their own is enough, but combine the DAS with a wide brimmed hat and an ECV with a sun shade and you get a lot less sun. It isn't perfect, but it will help and be better than waiting in the sun at say Slinky Doge for 180+ minutes. Remember, even when in the ”shaded areas" of an outdoor queue, you are still in the sun, sometimes it will be direct sunlight, sometimes indirect, but it is still in the sun.

So no, going to wait in shops, etc. would not mean more time in the sun than just waiting the outdoor standby queues.

As I said, this isn't the case for every attraction, but many of them, especially when extended queues are used, the following all have substantial portions of their queues outdoors (which means in the sun, even if shaded, obviously shaded queues are better than unshaded ones, but still in the sun when it comes to dealing with cancer):
  • Jungle Cruise
  • Aladdins Flying Carpets
  • Splash Mountain
  • Enchanted Tiki Room
  • Big Thunder Mountain
  • The Riverboat
  • Rafts to Tom Sawyer's Island
  • Winnie the Pooh
  • 7DMT
  • Teacups
  • Buzz
  • COP
  • TTA
  • Monsters Inc Laugh Floor
  • Magic Kingdom Railroad
  • TOT
  • Rockin Roller Coaster
  • Racing Academy
  • BATB
  • Fantasmic! (Until it gets dark)
  • Slink Dog Dash
  • Alien Swirling Saucers
  • Toy Story (extended queue)
  • Indiana Jones Stunt Spectacular
  • Frozen Sing Along
  • Star Tours
  • Spaceship Earth
  • Mission Space (extended queue)
  • Frozen Ever After (extended queue)
  • Oh, Canada!
  • Shows at the American Pavilion in EPCOT
  • Seas with Nemo and Friends (extended queue)
  • Navi River Journey
  • Flights of Passage
  • Festival of the Lion King
  • Kilimanjaro Saffaris
  • Kali River Rapids
  • The bird show
  • All of Dinoland, except Dinosaur
And yes, many of these attractions are outdoors, which means they are in the sun themselves, but remember this isn't about eliminating exposure to the sun as that would be near impossible, it is about minimizing exposure to the sun, so get the person out of the sun while waiting, so they can spend the time enjoying the ride. And yes, I am sure I have missed some things, such as:
  • Also, Waiting for the fireworks (all parks)
Remember all of this outdoor time adds up for sun exposure and can cause issues, so it is better to reduce wherever possible and a DAS gives them that flexibility, after all just because they have a DAS doesn't mean they have to use it if that wouldn't fit their needs at a particular attraction.

Most of those attractions have outdoor queues, but roofed.

No one can say whether or not DAS will be issued to you. Many guests have mobility or fatigue related issues that a device like a wheelchair or ECV is the best assistance for. If that meets the person’s needs, then they will not need DAS.
If you have additional needs preventing you from waiting in line that are not met by having a mobility device in line, those are the ones to discuss with Guest Relations.

Most of those attractions have outdoor queues, but roofed.
Yes, that is what I said, but roofed doesn't count as keeping the person out of the sun when dealing with cancer, it reduces sun exposure, but there is still sun exposure. This is something that I am sadly too familiar with, which is why I mentioned a combination of all three of a DAS, ECV with sunshade and wide brimmed hat would provide the best options for the OP and their needs in my experience.

Yes, that is what I said, but roofed doesn't count as keeping the person out of the sun when dealing with cancer, it reduces sun exposure, but there is still sun exposure. This is something that I am sadly too familiar with, which is why I mentioned a combination of all three of a DAS, ECV with sunshade and wide brimmed hat would provide the best options for the OP and their needs in my experience.

As someone who also has to avoid sun exposure, I would also recommend adding Sun Protective Clothing beyond just a good wide brimmed hat. There are many companies out there that make quality protective clothing, even stuff stuitable for layering. In FL I wear sun protective long sleeves and long pants when outside [and have likewise suitable sun protective swimwear] -- and I'm actually more comfortable than wearing just shorts and a tshirt. I really like Coolibar brand, but there are others that also make quality and effective sun protective clothes, including in a variety of fabrics to suit one's particular needs. I also use Eclipse sun gloves [there are also many brands of those] which I find good for using with the ECV -- protects the top of the hands well but are comfy -- and protect the hands from a hot scooter tiller :-)

SW

As someone who also has to avoid sun exposure, I would also recommend adding Sun Protective Clothing beyond just a good wide brimmed hat. There are many companies out there that make quality protective clothing, even stuff stuitable for layering. In FL I wear sun protective long sleeves and long pants when outside [and have likewise suitable sun protective swimwear] -- and I'm actually more comfortable than wearing just shorts and a tshirt. I really like Coolibar brand, but there are others that also make quality and effective sun protective clothes, including in a variety of fabrics to suit one's particular needs. I also use Eclipse sun gloves [there are also many brands of those] which I find good for using with the ECV -- protects the top of the hands well but are comfy -- and protect the hands from a hot scooter tiller :-)

SW
OP just to add with what the PP said. I can not use sunscreen ( burns my skin ) and I am on my last day of an 8 day trip with most days not a cloud in the sky and I used Columbia Omni freeze long sleeve this week and a cooling twole that Disney sell and did fine

My DH and I usually attend the SEC baseball tournament in late May in Hoover, AL. The sun is constant and unrelenting, and we are there for hours and hours. I am much more comfortable wearing long sleeve shirts and pants that cover my knees while I am sitting. I like the Columbia Omnifreeze long sleeve shirt much more than a tank top.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter