Should I reserve my CB room through Loews or Undercover Tourist?

Miffy

DIS Veteran
Question #1 is the title. Does it make any difference if I book through UT or Loews? For the dates I'm looking at, the price is exactly the same. I've assumed the cancellation rules are the same as well.

Question #2: OK to purchase park-to-park tickets and Express Pass through UT? And is this like WDW, where I connect these tickets somehow to my soon-to-be-created Universal account?

Thanks. And, yes, I have no idea what I'm doing but we're going to go to Universal for the first time in December and I hope it won't be the last time!

I book the hotel through Loews for ease of change. But I would feel comfortable booking through UT, and have gotten tickets through them several times. I would not assume the cancellation rules are the same.

Ticket's don't need to be connected to any account, but I don't see why you couldn't scan them into the UO App if you want. You can also swap paper printouts for the more durable and convenient credit card size tickets at the hotel ticket desk. Or guest services.

EP is normally a separate entity from tickets. No need to connect it - you will show the EP to enter the EP line, and then later they'll scan the EP at the merge point. They don't care how you got into the park at the rides. The EP & your tickets will each be linked to you via facial recognition.

Have you looked at staying at one of the Premier resorts to get the EP included with the stay? It often works out cheaper that way than buying EP separately. Hard Rock, Royal Pacific, and Portofino Bay include unlimited EP for everyone in the room every day of your stay (checkin day through checkout day). If you prefer to stay at CB, you might price out a night at an EP resort for the 2 days of EP - sometimes it can be cheaper for one night than it would be to buy EP, even if you don't actually use the room.

I book the hotel through Loews for ease of change. But I would feel comfortable booking through UT, and have gotten tickets through them several times. I would not assume the cancellation rules are the same.

Ticket's don't need to be connected to any account, but I don't see why you couldn't scan them into the UO App if you want. You can also swap paper printouts for the more durable and convenient credit card size tickets at the hotel ticket desk. Or guest services.

EP is normally a separate entity from tickets. No need to connect it - you will show the EP to enter the EP line, and then later they'll scan the EP at the merge point. They don't care how you got into the park at the rides. The EP & your tickets will each be linked to you via facial recognition.

Have you looked at staying at one of the Premier resorts to get the EP included with the stay? It often works out cheaper that way than buying EP separately. Hard Rock, Royal Pacific, and Portofino Bay include unlimited EP for everyone in the room every day of your stay (checkin day through checkout day). If you prefer to stay at CB, you might price out a night at an EP resort for the 2 days of EP - sometimes it can be cheaper for one night than it would be to buy EP, even if you don't actually use the room.
I guess the EP at the Premier resorts work for everyone in the room. Yes? Gee, I hadn't thought of it that way until just now. I was merely adding in the cost of the EP to the CB stay for each of us. Hmmm. Now I have to rethink this whole thing.

The reason I'd decided on CB was that they seem to have the most vegan food choices of all the Universal resorts. I couldn't really find another resort that could compare.

ETA: I think (and I looked this stuff up rather quickly) that 2 nights at RP for our dates is $842 for a standard view (or $904 for a water view). CB is $463 for the same dates + $212 for 2-day EPs for each of us (=$424), so CB would actually cost $45 more than RP if we booked a standard view room. Well, that's not terrible, esp if the vegan food choices at RP are really as scant as they seem to be.

Last edited:
Express pass at the premier hotels work for everyone in the room, who are on the room reservation, checkin day through checkout day. The express pass is your room key. You get them at checkin, and you can check in at like 7AM (maybe earlier.) . Even if your room isn't ready, they will give a room key to use at the parks for express.
Like on our trip last week, we had 1 night at Portofino. Checked, got room keys, went to parks, Express was good all of the next day also. It's also the unlimited express, as many rides w express as you want. We love to repeat some rides, like Men in Black.
If you buy express separately, Universal (and UT) sell various types of express passes-Like they sell regular express (1 ride on each ride) for Universal only, and unlimited express for Universal, then regular express for Island of Adventure only, and unlimited IoA, then also regular express for both parks, park to park, and unlimited park to park. etc. (and Volcano Bay options...)
And prices vary by date, so it's not at all a one price situation.
So just be sure when pricing out express separately, you're looking at the options that you think will work best.
Might be a hassle, but we also do splits sometimes. Like 1-2 nights non premier hotel, 1-2 nights premier. Not nearly as relaxing as just one continuous stay though, but at least have express a couple of nights.
Something we miss greatly at Universal hotels is a microwave in room. We prefer to eat breakfast in room, and often want to reheat leftovers, etc, or just eat something simple, like cup /noodles. You can rent a microwave at the hotels, at a cost per night, and I 'think' the suites might have microwaves. I think the suites at CB do, but not sure. We did find an easy to use microwave in the lobby/food area at Aventura, not sure if all of the hotels have microwaves in common areas, but maybe.
Happy planning. We love both Universal and Disney, just did a spring break trip to both. The forums here are so, so great, and everyone is so helpful. Hope you'll have a wonderful first trip to Universal!!!

OK. I realize I have to think of this another way, which is that 1 night at RP = 2 days of EPs.

Therefore, we could stay the first night (I'd get in late) at CB and the next night at RP. But then we'd have to move resorts, something that doesn't thrill me, especially for a 2-night stay. I mean, I don't even like switching resorts for an 8-night stay.

However, that would save us money since CB would be $232 for the first night and RP would be $421 for the 2nd night and we wouldn't have to purchase EPs. So 2 hotels + included EPs would = $653 instead of $888. That would be quite the savings.

Have I screwed up thinking about this? I'm so used to thinking in WDW terms that this is like a new vocabulary for me!

And many thanks for all the help, everyone.

OK. I realize I have to think of this another way, which is that 1 night at RP = 2 days of EPs.

Therefore, we could stay the first night (I'd get in late) at CB and the next night at RP. But then we'd have to move resorts, something that doesn't thrill me, especially for a 2-night stay. I mean, I don't even like switching resorts for an 8-night stay.

However, that would save us money since CB would be $232 for the first night and RP would be $421 for the 2nd night and we wouldn't have to purchase EPs. So 2 hotels + included EPs would = $653 instead of $888. That would be quite the savings.

Have I screwed up thinking about this? I'm so used to thinking in WDW terms that this is like a new vocabulary for me!

And many thanks for all the help, everyone.
Yep, you would get 2 days of express pass for everyone in your party with a 1 night stay at RP.
Also - Universal is really great about accomodating dietary needs.
You can contact them in advance or ask to speak with a manager when you arrive at different eateries.

You've got it right. The math is usually easier with 3+ people in the room, with 2 it is closer in price. Depends if moving hotels is worth $235 to you. Really, $225 after the Uber to move the luggage.

I'm still contemplating this and will post back when we make a decision. I'm not in love with changing hotels after only 1 night, so I think that's out of the mix at this point . . . but things could change!

And again, many thanks to everyone on this thread. So helpful.

Edited! I edited this after I realized I hadn't factored in the cost of the 2-park unlimited Express Pass. (Yes, I finally really read the above posts!). So, in fact, the CB scenario is actually either slightly more expensive (standard room--$3 more than RP) or somewhat more expensive (poolside = $37 more) or a little more expensive (Volcano Bay = $60 more). The RP prices are based on a standard room there (not water view).

And yet I still think we're going to opt for CB, just for ease of not having to change resorts for a 2-night booking.

As of this moment, I believe we're going to book Cabana Bay and purchase the Express Pass separately. When I'd originally calculated the cost of the rooms at CB and RPR, I hadn't taken the taxes into consideration. As it turns out:

2 nights at CB (Volcano Bay view) = $464
Express Pass [EDITED] = $544 ($272/person for 2 days of EP)
Total [EDITED] = $1,008

The standard room is $407 for the same dates and the poolside is $441.

2 nights at RPR = $947 (standard view) or $1,017 (water view)

I think the choice is clear since Cabana Bay costs $59 less than RPR . . . unless I've missed something, which I may have!
Yes! I did miss something--see edits.

BTW, prices are rounded up.

At least this way I don't have to concern myself with food choices (I hope!) and we won't have to change resorts.

Our dates are December 2nd thru 4th, btw, in case anyone's interested.

I may book thru UT, since there's an additional $10 off the cost of the tickets if you book the hotel thru them.

Again, many many thanks to other posters on this thread. ❤️

And, while I'm here, could anyone tell me which choices is best at CB: standard / poolside / Volcano Bay?
We'd prefer something quiet. Thanks!

NOTE: Edited at 11:27 a.m.

Last edited:
I have only stayed standard view at CB, we are not in the room for the view. VB view rooms are all a fair walk from the lobby/bus/food court/walking path (ie, everything except VB). Granted other room types can also be a fair walk, but with VB rooms it's a guarantee.

And, while I'm here, could anyone tell me which choices is best at CB: standard / poolside / Volcano Bay?
We'd prefer something quiet. Thanks!
CB is a lively property, not quite as the WDW values but, close.

As with all properties, generally, if you want quiet book a standard and ask for upper away from elevator.

I’d certainly book a placeholder reservation once you pin down your dates. Avoid booking a package for ease of cancellation/modification.

Might want to read thru the Orlando Hotel thread on these boards if you are looking for discounts.

It’s worth pricing the hotel a couple of months out on Priceline, using whatever code is current. You can also book thru some of the sites that award “rebates”, who often have their own specific codes. Only issue is you pay up front, can cancel subject to site policies. Express deals another option, always the chance you won’t identify “the blind” property correctly as they are non-cancellable. Their is usually at coupon floating around for those bookings too.

CB is a lively property, not quite as the WDW values but, close.

As with all properties, generally, if you want quiet book a standard and ask for upper away from elevator.

I’d certainly book a placeholder reservation once you pin down your dates. Avoid booking a package for ease of cancellation/modification.

Might want to read thru the Orlando Hotel thread on these boards if you are looking for discounts.

It’s worth pricing the hotel a couple of months out on Priceline, using whatever code is current. You can also book thru some of the sites that award “rebates”, who often have their own specific codes. Only issue is you pay up front, can cancel subject to site policies. Express deals another option, always the chance you won’t identify “the blind” property correctly as they are non-cancellable. Their is usually at coupon floating around for those bookings too.
Can one put in a request when reserving? Or is there online check-in like at WDW?

I'd better ask: Are the walls paper-thin at CB like they are at the All Stars?

I appreciate all the advice!

ETA: I'm wary of booking "standard" if that could mean a room that has delivery trucks backing up near it at 5 a.m., which happened to me once at WL, of all places. (They moved us, thank goodness.)

And . . . we changed our minds. We're going to book Royal Pacific instead of Cabana Bay.

After doing a lot of reading I realized that RPR is a much better deal for several reasons, not just because of the price--it's actually slightly less expensive than CB + EP--but because of the boat transportation and room service, which, surprisingly, has several vegan options. RPR doesn't seem to have as many vegan choices in general as Cabana Bay does, but it probably has enough for our purposes.

I want to again thank everyone on this thread. You were a huge help. I hope we love Universal and this will be just the first of many visits to come!

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter