Should schools in America teach Arabic Numerals as part of their curriculum?

Should schools in America teach Arabic Numerals as part of their curriculum?

• Yes

Votes: 92 76.0%
  • No

Votes: 20 16.5%
  • No Opinion

Votes: 9 7.4%

• Total voters
Uh ... I am pretty sure this is taught. My 14 year old knew immediately what arabic numerals were when I showed him this poll. The history of writing and numbers is taught here in our district at least. He goes to a regular public school

Ok, so then I must have the intent of the poll wrong. I didn't read the link I assume it was asking if schools should teach because they weren't, but that is not the case and it was more to expose something else.
But how can one explain how so many people don't actually know :confused: Doesn't that mean they weren't actually taught?
I have no idea what my kids were taught about the history of numbers, I'd have to ask them.

I don't know if in this case it is all stupidity, but more like ignorance.
If students aren't actually "taught" that what we use is Arabic numerals then they don't know. I'm not excusing the fact that it isn't widely taught, the history of the actual numbers, but I can't blame people for not knowing what they don't know.

I can say in my case it’s one of those things we were definitely taught, but it’s not really a piece of knowledge that I’ve had any reason to tap into for many, many years. Spent a lot of time on the Teapot Dome Scandal 40-some years ago as well, but couldn’t tell you much about it today.

But how can one explain how so many people don't actually know :confused: Doesn't that mean they weren't actually taught?

What some one is taught and what someone learns can be two vastly different things.

That is why I am vehemently against tying test scores to teacher compensation. Teachers can expose the students to the material in the best way possible and some of the students will still not learn the material, yet the teacher will be punished.

What some one is taught and what someone learns can be two vastly different things.

That is why I am vehemently against tying test scores to teacher compensation. Teachers can expose the students to the material in the best way possible and some of the students will still not learn the material, yet the teacher will be punished.

CEOs certainly aren't held to anything near this standard.

Ok, so then I must have the intent of the poll wrong. I didn't read the link I assume it was asking if schools should teach because they weren't, but that is not the case and it was more to expose something else.
I have no idea what my kids were taught about the history of numbers, I'd have to ask them.

Let's assume that all 'no' responders were never taught in school what Arabic numbers were. A simple Google search could have cleared that up. But why go to the effort of Googling when you can just let racism dictate your opinions?

While I like to use the ‘Merica meme often, it is important to realize that ‘World almost always applies.

To assume that we as Americans are unique in having a portion of our society act in ridiculous ways is ignorant.
Would it be okay to just roll with it and have some fun? I think it's pretty apparent the ironic nature of what I posted. I didn't realize it needed further explanation to hide from ignorance.

Is knowing the history of numbers a particular lynchpin to learning and knowledge? Or can this possibly be yet another in the long line of social media "outrages" -- possibly part of a campaign designed to influence and shape minds?

Why would the only reason behind someone responding no be racism? Any room for the idea that it could be considered less important and of less value than other topics in an increasingly jam packed curriculum?

Would it be okay to just roll with it and have some fun? I think it's pretty apparent the ironic nature of what I posted. I didn't realize it needed further explanation to hide from ignorance.
Oh I thought it was funny. But based on how dumb many are I thought it needed saying.

Let's assume that all 'no' responders were never taught in school what Arabic numbers were. A simple Google search could have cleared that up. But why go to the effort of Googling when you can just let racism dictate your opinions?

Ok, well lets assume I was referring to the polls on the sites the OP was referring too and the people questioned weren't using Google to answer the question.
And while you can assume that 100% of the "no" answers are because of racism I'll assume that some of those answers are simply because they don't feel it's needed because they don't actually understand what Arabic numerals actually are.
Maybe those same people would answer no if the question was about Roman numerals. I mean unless you are watching the Super Bowl how often do you use them, so are they still relevant enough to be taught? How many people think so?
How about cursive?
Of course we will never know because they probably weren't given those questions. Afterall if they were and they answered no then the poll wouldn't show what it was designed to show ;)
I'm not going to just jump to the racism excuse for every single person who said no because some media outlets have this poll that "proves" it.

Ok, well lets assume I was referring to the polls on the sites the OP was referring too and the people questioned weren't using Google to answer the question.
And while you can assume that 100% of the "no" answers are because of racism I'll assume that some of those answers are simply because they don't feel it's needed because they don't actually understand what Arabic numerals actually are.
Maybe those same people would answer no if the question was about Roman numerals. I mean unless you are watching the Super Bowl how often do you use them, so are they still relevant enough to be taught.
How about cursive?
I'm not going to just jump to the racism excuse because some media outlets have this poll that "proves" it.

I will. It's hardly a big jump.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter