Should Students be required to perform "Community Service"?

It's a good idea in theory, but I just don't see how kids have time for mandatory community service. My kids had sports practice almost everyday after school. And on weekends, between homework, studying, friends and sports events, I don't know where we'd squeeze it in.

Another thing, I'm not sure how I feel about forced volunteerism, as other have said. My kids had to do service for Confirmation at church, but that I agree with.

I think it should be up to the parents to teach their kids to be a volunteer when they have time, not for schools to mandate it.

It should be the school's duty to educate, period. They need to stop meddling in the students' lives outside of school. That time would be better spent on teaching math, science, and English.

Oh, come on, citizenship IS part of an education. Children need to learn early that EVERYONE must contribute to make things work. Meddling? Heck, in our inter-urban school district, at least 40% don't get two meals a day unless they are in school. I guess if you're wealthy, you might object to meddling but most of our country is broke and children are starving for education, food, social services and attention. School is the only place these kids get that. If you 'volunteered' in a school that needed help, you'd know that. Seriously. Oh and ALL competitive colleges and universities are looking for volunteerism as a very important part of a child's life.

Our state requires "community service hours" and frankly, as the mother of a Junior in HS, I kinda resent it. My son is a "good kid" and while I certainly don't think these hours are hurting him at all, I find that it is just one more area where the school is medling in our lives and making things more difficult. This summer he is volunteering at a soup kitchen one afternoon a week. I think it's wonderful, but thank goodness for the angels from our church who are providing the transportation. Both my husband and I work full time, I have a side business, we have another child, and my elderly mother lives with us. Between the kids' schedules, and our lives, I don't need one more thing to have to fit in!!!!!!!!!!!!! I don't think it should be mandatory, but I like the communities/schools that recognize volunteerism at graduation!

This is the problem that I have with it. It is a requirement here as well, and while I am 100% supportive of kids of all ages learning the value of volunteerism, I am not a fan of forced activity outside the classroom which can create a hardship on families. I think that policies like this are instituted with the best of intentions, but without remembering that families have many different makeups, many different demands on their time, many different living and transportation situations, and that not all families live within reasonable access of public transportation either. If the district or state is going to require the activity for graduation, the time should be set aside during school hours, and the transportation provided.

Volunteering doesn't have to be this huge complicated process where they have to "go somewhere" to volunteer. How about volunteering for the neighbor down the street to rake leaves in the fall, or babysit for the single mother in the neighborhood or heck, volunteer to help Grandma go to the grocery store or sit with her when she goes to doctor's appointments. Our kids have to do service hours for church and school (they can count them for both). At church they have to break them up into family, community and church. Our kids have done things for family like help Grandma get ready for a charity bake sale, babysit for free for family members, help Grandparents move, etc.

Actually, in this case it does. What people are saying here---and this is also the case in my school district--- is that it does have to be a "recognized charity or organization." Helping a neighbor, picking up trash along one's own road, etc. are good ways of directly helping one's community, but are not acceptable to meet this graduation requirement.

A huge, emphatic, NO!

I first heard of such a concept on these very boards. I was absolutely floored they could force such a thing only to find out they do just that here too!! :mad:

I view forced "community service" as a punishment and not appropriate for kids in school. If they want to have a community service CLASS where the school arranges everything and it is done during school hours, I could live with that. But to put the onus on already busy kids to find a place to volunteer, get themselves there and back, etc. is way out of line IMNSHO.

If people WANT to volunteer? More power to them. But it should not be forced. That is called work. And students shouldn't have to work for free or not graduate.

Forced community service is what they do to criminals. Make them wear orange vests and pick up trash on the side of the road type stuff. Community service is a punishment in the court system. The worse the crime the more hours you have to perform.

Fortunately our schools do not do that here. I would have a big problem with that. Kids should want to do things for others but not be forced to or not graduate. Your graduation should be based on your academic achievement only.

It's a good idea in theory, but I just don't see how kids have time for mandatory community service. My kids had sports practice almost everyday after school. And on weekends, between homework, studying, friends and sports events, I don't know where we'd squeeze it in.

Another thing, I'm not sure how I feel about forced volunteerism, as other have said. My kids had to do service for Confirmation at church, but that I agree with.

I think it should be up to the parents to teach their kids to be a volunteer when they have time, not for schools to mandate it.

My kids have sports practice, band practice, they have jobs, they are in all AP/Honor's classes, have very active social lives, etc. and find PLENTY of time to volunteer.

Our schools require it, and I'm glad.

They didn't have this back when I was in high school. But I did volunteer one summer when I was 14 at Camp Manito in Wilmington, DE. It was a camp for physically disabled kids. It had a huge influence on me, and 30 yrs later, I still have very fond memories.

i HATED having to do community service to graduate. community service should be done because you actually care and because you want to. i showed up resentful as ever and i'm fairly certain that i didn't brighten anyone's day or help them all that much (i purposely picked a function at my own high school, not somewhere that i would have actually cared about). 99% of the students there felt the same way.

forcing me to do community service in high school did NOT make me want to do it more (or at all) in college. i do it now because it will look good on my dental/medical school applications, but at least i'm more into it because i at least have a choice in the matter and i can pick where i want to volunteer.

I think it's a great idea. I PE is a requirement I see nothing wrong with this being too. It may be the only time some students get out and learn how to serve their communities, unfortunately. We had to do a certain number of hrs each semester in college too. It gave me some awesome experiences that actually aided in my decision of the major I ended up graduating with.

Our high school requires it freshman year and I don't have a problem with it. That being said our 17yr old got in some big trouble during spring break on a class trip, as part of his punishment DH and I arranged for him to do 100 hours of community service. He never complained once(he knew not to) and now says he learned a lot during that time.

Some people need to be taught to do it and learn why it's necessary. there are a lot of Americans sitting on their fannies, complaining but not doing a daggone thing.

I say YES, teach the children that they need to contribute. It's one of the most important things our children NEED to learn. Too many parents are neglecting this lesson. Heck, most kids don't even have chores at home to do.
And, before you get all hot and bothered, I KNOW ALL DIS children do chores, lol!

But this isn't the schools place to teach.

Values and morals are taught in the home. That sticks with teens. Something forced upon them temporarily in HS does not.

Volunteerism is based upon giving of yourself to others.... When it doesn't benefit you directly.

And there is nothing worse than working with teens who have no interest in the days activities... The ones that don't want to be there on their own. They will duck out, hide, txt, talk on the phone, or otherwise will be worthless the whole time.

Not worth it because stupid-vising your child for several hours during my day - where I am actually trying to accomplish something.... Brings nothing positive to the organization, the child, or the school. It actually takes away from the organization because we have to deal with your child who doesn't want to be there rather than focus on the task at hand.

So, I want a real volunteer, not forced labor.

No.

In my area, I was in the first graduating class that was required to do community service to graduate (this was in '94). 30 hours. Not only was it insulting (ie, damn punk kids need to be forced to volunteer), I don't see it as being the school district's business.

Plus they were very limited it what they allowed, at least for our class. Political and religious based volunteering wasn't included as acceptable time to put towards the requirement.

It's not required in our district for graduation, but I wouldn't be against it at all. As long as the hours are reasonable.

My son's class (Class of 2011) was the first to start in our school system. When they entered as Freshman in 2007. They had to perform 30 hours of community service by May of their Senior year.

I have to say, my son really enjoyed doing it. He actually logged 205 hours of Community Service between his Freshman and Sophomore year working at Masonic Home & Hospital in the dementia unit.

I think that performing Community Service is a great way to help out in your towns and it is rewarding.

I work in a school system that does not have that requirement, and truthfully, they really should . . I think most of the students would benefit from doing something other than going home after school and just "hanging around".

I say no. Requiring you to volunteer is stupid. My dd's time would be better spent trying to grasp her school subjects which are hard for her. Here if you want to graduate you have to volunteer.

Volunteering doesn't have to be this huge complicated process where they have to "go somewhere" to volunteer. How about volunteering for the neighbor down the street to rake leaves in the fall, or babysit for the single mother in the neighborhood or heck, volunteer to help Grandma go to the grocery store or sit with her when she goes to doctor's appointments. Our kids have to do service hours for church and school (they can count them for both). At church they have to break them up into family, community and church. Our kids have done things for family like help Grandma get ready for a charity bake sale, babysit for free for family members, help Grandparents move, etc.

Well, if that was the case, he would be golden. Unfortunately, it is more complicated here.

I am all for it. I think it helps expose many kids to other things going on in society that they simply have no clue about.

My kids are super busy too but I certainly would priortize this so they could do what was necessary.

DS13 has had to do it for the sports teams he plays on, I see no problem with it to be a requirement for HS.

Those of you who say the kids dont work, then why the heck would you sign their sheet?????

No of course not, a student should only need academics to graduate from school. Forcing students to perform community service in order to receive their diploma is just another example of schools trying to indoctrinate our kids in what they want them to be/do, just one more attempt at taking control away from parents and giving it to themselves. They need to stay out of the personal choices of families and stick to reading, writing and arithmetic.

But I don't think there is a difference. That was my point. I think the idea that there is a difference is total b.s.

Now that my rant is over, I have no idea what the OP intended. :lmao:

I'm not sure what clarification people are looking for. Our schools wants to require 20 hours community service each year at an non-profit.

I think they should but around here just getting them to read and write seems to be difficult, judging by the test scores.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter