Should we be worried about thieves?

ChisJo

Cause afterall, a dream that you wish, will come t
I wish that I could say that life in the World was perfect, but, alas, I came to the truth about the thieves that are probably lurking in the parks. Has anyone ever had anything stolen? If so what? And can anyone provide tips on how we can protect ourselves against thieves? I am prepared to bring an elastic band to put around my fiance's wallet, so if anyone tries to grab it, he will feel it, but otherwise, I am at a blank.

Any suggestions?

Joline:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

If you are making any major purchases, have them sent to your resort or package pick-up or don't make purchases until you are ready to leave.

Another tip would be to not carry anything with you to the parks that has large monetary or sentimental value. Leave all this in the safe in your hotel room. Anything of value that you do take with you (such as a camera), make sure you have it in a spot that a pickpocketer can not get to (in the bottom of your backpack, for example). Yes, that may be an inconvenient place to have your camera, but if it means keeping it safe, the inconvenience doesn't seem that important.

Don't wear any loose jewlery. Loose jewlery is easy for theives to take off you without you knowing it. Make sure watches are tight around your wrist, rings fit well, and necklaces/chains are clasped tight.

Anyone else have any tips?

I read on a thread here that car rentals with the trunks that pop open with the key chain all use the same code or something. So thieves have an easy way to get in with a master one or something (sorry, I don't know specifics!). So the advice is to never leave anything in your trunk! From what I read several people had souveniers and luggage stolen. Even though I don't know the exact specifics, I think it's a good heads up to pass along!

Heres my advise. Keep on you only enough cash for food for the day and then use your room key for charges, this can be stopped in 1 min from charges and Disney is great if it should get lost or taken. We always leave our backpack in the stroller just with nothing imporant in side if some really needs a change of clothes for a little one who cares.
this past Feb in EPCOT we had on our radios and heard to man talking about trying to take a ladies pocket book
I went to a Disney Cast member and with in seconds what seemed like hundreds of Disney police could be seen walking around world showcase, so they are ready as well.
As a women I wear a fanny pack is is much harded to get that off of me and being I am Pooh Sized and in shape I do not think most people would try me.

I was there last week. We bought some things at MK and when DH returned the stroller I went to the bathroom, he was standing there in the stroller return line and I reminded him to grab the stuff. When I came out of the bathroom I saw that he had forgot to get the things out of the stroller (talk about short term memory), anyway we went back to the guy who took the stroller from him and he says "I didnt find anything in that stroller" he became very rude. Well I saw the things in the stroller just before it was returned, it wasn't like it was stollen before that. We went to guest relations and they actually told us that they have a problem with cm theft at MK. He gave us a website to contact about it and they were going to investigate the guy.

If you loose them, you can replace them. Also limit your credit card if your bank allows it, and have your bank's phone numbers handy just in case.
Don't keep the wallet in the pack pocket. And be carefull with the "pushers", they can be trying to distract you.

About 4 or 5 years ago a friend of mine and her family made their first trip to WDW. Her, DH, 2 sons, mother & father-in law. They drove down in a Winnebago and stayed at the campgrounds. They arrived early, their site wasn't ready and they were directed where to park and set out to enjoy the parks until they could get their campsite. The two women took some money from their purses , then 'hid' their purses in the Winnebago. Later, my friend needed some medication, she sent DH&FIL back to get it, they found her purse gone and MIL's had been gone through and put back in place. WDW told them later they figured it was a couple, they took only one of the purses so as not to look odd (man with purse). They charged theme park tickets to her charge card, got all of the cash , over $3000. in traveler's checks, and cleaned out their checking account with a MAC card ( I assume friend had her code in purse also.) The credit card co. took the losses on the card, her bank absorbed the loss on the checking account(Lucky for her), traveler's checks were replaced, she was only out the cash. The theives didn't take MIL's credit cards or checkbook, just cash. To my knowledge they were never caught. ( For this offense, at least.) Surprisingly, when I asked her if they would return, she said yes but she would be much more careful. In spite of all of this, she still managed to pick up the license plate I asked her to get for me. =0) (She always teased me about us going down every year and I was sure this would be her last trip, I'm so glad she thinks differently.)
One last thing of interest, she said when they suggested calling the police, WDW wanted her to just deal with them, no outside 'help'.
I got all of this from her but have no reason to doubt what she said, I've known her a long time.

One other thing, in all the years we have been going to WDW, (over 20), we have never had anything stolen. We just use the normal precautions and everything has been fine. (Or we've been lucky!) =0)

Being from NYC area and working in the police business, I am always much more precautious about thieves. I must admit that "Disney people" seem much more honest and trusting. Here's an example if there ever was a thief awaiting: I hate to admit this, but I am willing to talk about it now: I emptied out my back pack in the ladies room (on the counter) and when I put everything back I somehow missed my wallet (credit cards, cash and all! I was frantic when I remembered where I had left it and thought there was NO WAY I would ever see it again. Well, someone did find it and gave it to Guest Relations with everything in it. I really wish I could have thanked that person. I don't carry my usual wallet anymore when in Disney parks, just a small pouch. My 7 year old has left behind numerous things, Disney fanny bag, water bottle, Mickey cap, etc.....and we got everything back! Thank you!!!! As far as thieves go....they are everywhere, so I always hold onto my cash and anything expensive-better to be safe than sorry.

Same as everywhere:

Be Aware, be cautious and Be safe.

Flying: Never leave luggage unattended even in the bathroom--take into the stall. Wait until the person ahead of you has gone through the security checkpoint before even putting your stuff on the belt. OR better yet. Send one of your party through the senser, after they make it through, put your stuff on the belt.

Driving: Pay at the pump. Remember to lock your car even for short stops. Stop at fast food places for breaks--there are usually people around (at least employees) and they are well lit. Don't let kids go to the restroom by themselves--even if you are "in the same area". Drive with your doors locked. Avoid that "we are on vacation look" if possible. Do not have pillows, blankets, coolers, etc in full view--nothing says "we're on a long trip and tired- take advantage of me" than to look like you are living in your car.

At your hotel/condo: be sure to lock the doors--even when you are home. Use ALL of the locks provided. In a hotel, it may even pay to push a chair against the door. Do not think you can "hide" valuables--most thieves know all the "spots" in a hotel room. Do not leave anything with your home address around your room---you never know who might know someone close enough to where you live (and odds are you aren't home right???) NEVER answer the door until you visibly check through the peephole.

Personal safety: Do not carry your wallet in your back pocket. Try to avoid taking off your fanny pack in the restroom--leave it on and you can't forget it. Be aware of who is around when storing stuff in a locker. A thief might see you put your valuable camera/camcorder in the locker and then wait till you are gone--tell the CM that they lost their key/wife has it--and get the CM to open the locker for them.

If you can't affor to loose it--don't leave it in the stroller.

I would suggest not taking your wallet with you at all, or at least seriously reducing the amount of things in it. Most of the things in your wallet you won't need in the parks, like your library card, social security card, tons of credit cards, Blockbuster card, etc. If these things get taken, it will be a huge pain to replace them.

Instead, we take enough cash for the day, our Key to World cards, and one extra credit card in case something strange happens and the charge won't go through on the other. We usually use our ATM card as the other credit card so we can get cash from the machine, too, if we need to. Before you leave in the morning, write down the 800 number and your account number for the card just in case you do lose it. You can just put these things in your pocket. They won't fall out, and your fiance won't have that noticable wallet lump in his pocket.

Here's a tip a friend just passed on to me ...

Make at least one xerox copy of all of your credit cards (front and back). Leave it in your hotel room safe (or maybe with a family member back home). That way, if a thief gets your wallet, you will have all of your credit card information in one place.

After reading all of these safety tips, I'm glad I live in New York City, because most of them are second nature to me. I would add, though, if you use a fanny pack or even a shoulder bag, make sure you carry it in front of your body so it's easier for you to be aware of them.

Donna

It's nice to have these tips, but it may just ruin your vacation worrying about what will happen to you as much as actaully having something happen! There are theives and opportunists everywhere. Heck, I was pick-pocketed in Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris during Mass! Do I carry my wallet closer to my body? Yes. Do I carry it around my neck and under my clothes in the heat of summer? No. Everything in moderation is my motto. Except, of course, The Mouse ;).

I never even take my wallet with me to Disney. I usually only take my Drivers License, one credit card, and some cash. I keep this in a fanny pack, which I wear on my stomach. I do not wear it around back, easy for someone to pick pocket. I have never had a problem doing this. My wife does it also.

You could also do what we did in Europe and get a money pouch you can wear under your shirt. That was great. No way someone will get that.

Hope this helps.

we havent ever had anything stolen in the parks but on the way home...we packed 5 shirts for relatives in our suticase when we got home they werent there...3 of them were missing!!! we never did find them :(

I realize dishonestd people are every where but I really hope that most people visiting Disney are honest, hard working family people. On our last trip we misplaced everything. LOL Both my DH & I both laid our cell phones down while at the park. Both of our phones were found and turned in. I left 2 pairs of prescription eye glasses (yes real stupid - long story so I won't bore you with it) on the Snow white ride. Didn't realize I had done this until we were back at the hotel. We called down to the desk and they put us through to lost and found at the MK and they had my glasses there waiting for me. We left several items including daughters purse, digital camera, etc. at other places during our trip and they were all returned. We have never misplaced anything like this before but boy did we make up for it on our last trip. We were lucky that honest people found all of these items and turned them in. This trip renewed my belief that honest people out weigh dishonest.:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

I had an experience just a little over a year ago when I went into the MK the first evening I had arrived. I took my wallet out of my purse to put money into one of the picture machines in the Photo store near Tony's. After I left the MK and got on the monorail, I noticed my wallet was not in my purse and I had remembered taking it out and laying it on the floor next to my purse. I had almost $3,000 cash in it (talk about dumb)! Needless to say, I rushed back to the MK (after taking the longest monorail ride of my life). A CM at the Contemporary called ahead and when I got back, a guest had already found the wallet and turned it in to security, with not a thing missing! This really made me believe in the Disney magic! I also heard that they conducted a study in the various parks at Disney where they actually "planted" wallets in various places with various amounts of $$$ and all of them were turned in...not a single one taken. I think that is quite impressive! Have been to Disney properties countless times to stay and have never once had anything missing.

Just remember that while most everyone is friendly and full of Disney magic, take normal traveling precautions. Don't take any chances and end up ruining a vacation you've spent months planning for. My DH is police, so we're probably OVERLY cautious. A few tips we use --

Men - don't carry your wallet in your back pocket. Use your front pockets or better yet, don't carry your wallet at all.

Women - a fanny pack is fine, but make sure it hangs in the front of you, not in the back. Keep credit cards, money and keys in your front pocket so just in case something does happen, you'll still have these.

Leave valuables at the hotel in the safe in your room. Always take two credit cards with you on vacation, but leave one in the safe. That way if one is stolen, you have the other to fall back on. And like someone else said, keep copies of your cards and the phone number for cancellation if it becomes necessary.

Don't put your home address and phone number on your cameras, etc. Use a business address. If someone steals your camera, they now know where you live - and since you're not home, you may be missing even more things when you return. Even better would be to put your name and the name of your hotel, so you can be contacted if your camera shows up while you're still at WDW.

Also use luggage tags that cover your address so it is not in plain view at the airport, etc.

Relax and have fun, but be aware of your surroundings.

I saw this on the old boards last Fall. If I remember correctly the person's locker had been robbed because the theif asked a CM to open it, claiming they had lost the key.

Take an envelope with something like a business card inside. On the outside write a brief note (a nice bold Sharpie should do the trick) asking the CM to ask you what is inside the envelope. Make sure the envelope is the first thing the CM sees when he or she opens the locker.

I grew up close to DL & have been there more times than I can count, and I've never had any problems. Most people are honest, but any area that attracts alot of tourists is also going to attract those that prey on them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter