Should we buy annual passes?

mom0299

DIS Veteran
We are planning a trip for October, staying at Bonnett Creek and doing 5 days in the parks. We now think we might also go again next summer and stay at Bonnett Creek or another Wyndham. We will do between 5-7 days in the parks for that trip. Each trip we will drive to the parks. We like to park hop. It seems like annual passes would be the way to go, but I'd like to hear some other opinions, if there are any.

The only problem I've had with annual passes, is the years we have annual passes, it makes every other vacation seem less affordable, and Disney even more enticing than it usually is, so we keep going back to Disney. We've had annual passes twice, and the first year we went three times, and this year we will be getting four trips out of one pass. Both annual passes were only supposed to be for two trips.

Yeah that's what we do when we know we can fit two trips within the AP year. Don't you also get free parking with the AP which would also help in your case? It also lets you join Tables in Wonderland if you do alot of table service dining during your trip.

It is just a matter of math and taking into consideration that Disney WILL increase the cost of tickets.

One Adult 5-day ticket is $336 (two of these = $672)
One adult 7-day ticket is $357 (two of these = $714)

One Annual Pass is $697 (kid and adult price is the same)

Unless Disney makes changes, you would receive 10% off merchandise purchases as well.

If you are certain you will go twice in a year it makes sense.

Two trips is generally the break even point. Between merchandise savings, a few dining discounts, and free parking (if staying offsite), it's kinda a no brainer.

Plus it also opens up those spontaneous long weekend trips when you can find cheap airfare and a cheap hotel.

The only downside is that you feel like you HAVE to do Disney the following year, even if something else comes up. This isn't an issue for me as I always twice every 12mo.

For us two trips has been the break even point so we wouldn't get one in case something came up and we couldn't make the second trip. That said on two ocassions we got APs. One set we made three trips and for the other we made four. Also for one set we got a great deal by stacking a 7 for 4 deal and a discount coupon from a friend who had APs. That was the last really sweet deal we got.

Question time! I'm going to be investing in one for me for the first time. I already have my trip booked for the summer and I have the 8 day hopper. I booked my room for the Fall. I go on my first day of my summer trip to upgrade to the annual pass right? (This is the part I'm not sure of!) Where do I go (We'll be at MK)? Will this be easy? When get I made FP+ for my fall trip? Thanks!!!

The only problem I've had with annual passes, is the years we have annual passes, it makes every other vacation seem less affordable, and Disney even more enticing than it usually is, so we keep going back to Disney. We've had annual passes twice, and the first year we went three times, and this year we will be getting four trips out of one pass. Both annual passes were only supposed to be for two trips.
This! Exactly this!

I loved having APs but I definitely justified extra visits. But I'm contemplating doing it again....

I've been debating this myself. We are going in September with an 8 day Park Hopper. It would cost only $150 or so more to upgrade to an AP. We would love to take our DD next July for her 3rd birthday. I had an AP years ago and went twice with it. Still debating about doing it...

Best part about APs, if you can't get everything in that trip, you know there will be another trip, or even another day, or even just a few hours if you want to. They open up flexibility SO much, and you no longer feel like you have to cram EVERYTHING in. If you can swing it, why not? Paying for tickets at $385 or $257 each time (or worse) is a drag!

I suggest AP's for 2 or more trips but more especially if you are FL residents due to the discounts.

To me there is little debate. As long as you plan to be in the parks longer than 10 days, it makes better financial sense to buy the Annual Pass. We always for this when we can.

As for upgrading, you can go the first day or I think any time before you trip ends to upgrade and existing ticket to the AP. We typically go the Guest Services in Downtown Disney (or Disney Springs) and they are more than happy to help you. You should also be able to do it at any of the Guest Services locations in the parks.

What we have noticed is that it makes that first trip of the year seem very expensive but your remaining trips almost seem like you are getting away with something they are so cheap.

We are planning a trip for October, staying at Bonnett Creek and doing 5 days in the parks. We now think we might also go again next summer and stay at Bonnett Creek or another Wyndham. We will do between 5-7 days in the parks for that trip. Each trip we will drive to the parks. We like to park hop. It seems like annual passes would be the way to go, but I'd like to hear some other opinions, if there are any.

I would say if you are definitely returning it would be worth it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter